column tactics timing

By toriano, in Runewars Rules Questions

Can you choose if your ranks or front are your rerrolls before or afther roll the attack dice? it could be a big diference

The melee attack symbol means "when you perform a melee attack." The timing for "when" effects is the moment the event occurs. I have always thought that these effects must happen as soon as your attack initiates. This would mean you would have to choose your ranks and threat before rolling dice. (This question came up in discussions about the Berserkers' unit ability - do you have to suffer wounds and add lethal before rolling dice?)

The competing interpretation is that "when attacking" effects can be applied at the beginning of any step of an attack. This seems to be the most widely-accepted interpretation, given that most people are wounding Berserkers after rolling dice. Given that interpretation, you should be able to roll dice and then choose to initiate Column Tactics' effect before rerolling dice.

We weren’t sure but thought it had to be the 1st until some big tourney (Worlds?) ruled it as the 2nd. In lieu of developer clarification, we went with that.

So that makes Column Tactics really, really good on any unit that is deeper than it is wide.

It says you may apply during melee. I am almost positive Worlds ruled it you can choose after you have rolled and you do not need to declare prior to first roll of dice.

They did rule it that way. On a 2x3 cavalry you can decide to change it any time before you take the third reroll roll (second reroll).

Edited by TallTonyB

Thanks all ;)

Does this mean moment of inspiration dice can be rolled after you roll and even after any re-rolls?

Is there any reason you couldn't choose to use Column Tactics AFTER rerolls? It seems obviously counter to the intent of the card, but it's not as if there is some sort of memory for card effects, and if you can use it at any step, why after 10.3 and not 10.4?

That's tricky. Let's say you are a 2x3 unit. You decide to reroll because you blanked out. You reroll and blak out again. Since you have 2 full ranks beyond the front, you choose to use your second reroll. Now you finish the reroll step and decide to apply Column Tactics to give you 3 threat because you have 3 full ranks. In doing so, you completely bypass the drawback of Column Tactics. Therefore, I don't think that should be allowed, but I have no rules text to support that stance.

19 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

That's tricky. Let's say you are a 2x3 unit. You decide to reroll because you blanked out. You reroll and blak out again. Since you have 2 full ranks beyond the front, you choose to use your second reroll. Now you finish the reroll step and decide to apply Column Tactics to give you 3 threat because you have 3 full ranks. In doing so, you completely bypass the drawback of Column Tactics. Therefore, I don't think that should be allowed, but I have no rules text to support that stance.

It does seem completely contrary to the intent of the card (why would it specify counting frontage for rerolls if not to be a downside) but if you can trigger it after rolling, why not after rerolling? We're going to need some rules clarification on the timing of effects during an attack.

On 5/4/2018 at 11:16 AM, Bhelliom said:

It does seem completely contrary to the intent of the card (why would it specify counting frontage for rerolls if not to be a downside) but if you can trigger it after rolling, why not after rerolling? We're going to need some rules clarification on the timing of effects during an attack.

The only rules justification I can see is that you're technically allowed to apply it after rerolling, but if you have rerolled more times than your new number of rerolls, you have created an illegal game state, so you can't do it. Basically say that any ability that would take away rerolls you have already used cannot be used. But we definitely need this in the FAQ, as RAW doesn't support this at all.