Organized Play in Maryland

By kac, in Organized Play

At Alternate Worlds in Cockeysville, we decided to make Thursday our game night. As soon as the new OP pack is in, we will be doing one scenario every Thursday evening.

This Thursday, because the packs aren't out yet, we'll be doing open gaming. Find a match and play with however many points you're comfortable with. Over the launch weekend, we had a number of 800 point games, which seemed to go very well.

Lots of fun at our first Thursday night meet-up. Four gamers turned up, and there was at least one 800 point game (which was somewhere around 2.5 hours).

We'll just keep doing this open play until the pack for OP comes out.

Well, it’s that time!

Organized play is here and we’re starting tonight and going every Thursday night. I’m pretty impressed with the rules/scenarios and can’t wait to get started.

I'm interested in playing at Alternate Worlds....painting rebs in the core set now. Are you planning to play next Thur? April 26? What time?

We will definitely be playing next and every Thursday and you are more than welcome to join us. Everyone will be bringing 650 points next week but don’t fear even if you can’t field that many points. Everyone is willing to loan troops and there is also a store core set you are welcome to borrow from.

We had seven people playing at different times this week and some fantastic games. I haven’t seen anyone not have fun yet! Generally speaking, people start arriving in the 5:30 area and we’re generally out of there around 9ish. Olga is very good about not throwing us out if a game is about to finish. The last game tonight was a real nail biter and came down to the end.

Alright, back for more of the escalation operation on Thursday. Ginjo, we already have an opponent all ready to go for you. See you then.

Yup...planning to be there. Bringing 650pts Rebels. Looking forward to my first game.

Cheers,

Spencer

Cockeysville is a bit too far for me to make it out on a weeknight. It's about an hour or more drive. I could probably swing an event on a weekend though.

For MD folks closer to the DC area Third Eye Games in Annapolis is doing a casual Legion night every Wednesday 6-9pm. The plan is to build the community a bit then start doing organized play events. They did a 'Intro to Legion' day a few weekends ago and turnout was good. I volunteered running demos all day and reception was great.

Also Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie is doing a big narrative event for May the Fourth based on a campaign from the Star Wars RPG. I don't know if they're planning any other stuff in the future though.

Hey Doc, be sure to let people know about any weekend events you’re running. If I’m free I’d love to come down for a game.

As you said, getting there in time during the week would be a bit of a problem.

Ginjo, you’re a great guy and a fine player. Hope to see you next week.

Well, we're wrapping up Operation Gathering Forces, with only one pairing left to play on Monday. Eight players have fought through these scenarios, with our overall winner earning a whopping ten tournament points in his four rounds of play (averaging well over 2 out of the 3 objectives each game).

The new operation, Silent Hail, begins this coming Thursday, and all are looking forward to campaign style play, with each game affecting the next. If anyone is in the area and interested, please contact me and we'll try to match you up with an opponent.

Gritty Goblin Games in Fulton (sort of between Columbia & Laurel) is doing their first Organized Play night tonight 6:00 - 9:00. Hopefully the first of many. I don't know if we're going to be doing Gathering Forces, specifically, but I do know he has a few of the kits and they look awesome.

I just found out about the place a few weeks ago. The owner & his wife are both really great and really into games (they met playing D&D when they were in the Air Force). He also does a 10% discount on Legion stuff so it's become my go-to store.

Plus there's a pub next door for pre/post-gaming beers!

I'm going to be in Maryland the week of Memorial day in the Frederick area. Any LGS's in that area that do anything for Legion?

Well, we finished up both of the initial operations in the recruitment pack, and the games went great.

We'll be playing normal 800 point games against randomly paired people in our group until the Ground Assault Kit comes out. WE might even sneak in a Grand Army game or two at some point.

If you're interested in coming out, now would be a good time as opposed to once we're in the middle of an operation. Hope to see people coming out, although if we keep growing, it will be interesting! I think we're up to about ten regulars and a few more starting soon!

We're back at it for a new Operation beginning this Thursday at Alternate Worlds in Cockeysville. We're doing Take the Hill, and it looks like a knife fight in a phone booth. Anyone interested should contact me asap to get on our list. We already have at least eight already participating.

Hi all, my buddy and I are down in the DC area, MD side and have been trying to find a place to play. Weekdays are really tough for us between distance to locations and traffic. I’m in the silver spring area.

So I was wondering about weekend play or if people are familiar with any locations closer to me where people are playing?

Just to get started, my people often schedule their league games on weekends when necessary, so it's easy for you to get games in if you want to come up to the shop.

Not sure who's regularly playing close to you.

Do you guys have some means of communicating, like social media, that I could add myself to? That way if I see an upcoming Saturday game session, I can make my way up there?

We do all our communication by email or text. My thought would be that when you're free, just PM me here, and we'll set something up. A little lead time would be great.

Really great stuff going on. This week is the 800 pt. week of Massing Superiority, and next is the week for 1000 pts. We're scrambling a little bit for scheduling because of the extended time requirement for 1000 pts., but it's a blast to get that much on the board.

We just completed Operation Massing Superiority and are off to starting the last operation in the OP packet next week. I enjoy campaigns, and we're all looking forward to it.

Great turnout with a good number of people showing up and playing week after week.

Thanks again to Alternate Worlds in Cockeysville MD for the use of their facility.

On 8/10/2018 at 11:17 AM, kac said:

We just completed Operation Massing Superiority and are off to starting the last operation in the OP packet next week. I enjoy campaigns, and we're all looking forward to it.

Great turnout with a good number of people showing up and playing week after week.

Thanks again to Alternate Worlds in Cockeysville MD for the use of their facility.

Hi, I’m new to mini games and have only played the Legion intro game so far. What will you be doing now that you are done the Organized Play packet? Will you run it through again or is there a new one to start?

I usually have Thursdays free so will try to make it up to AW in the next couple weeks.

Well, we’re not quite done with the operations yet. The last op, Blue Metal, begins for us this week and will continue the following three weeks as we typically only play one game per week, and thus it takes us about a whole month to get through an operation.

The store tells me that the next Ground Assault kit should be on the way soon, so we’re expecting a seamless transition into the next three operations. Last time matched up pretty close too with no big issues.

Let us know by a PM when you can come out so I can make sure we have an opponent for you. We’re organized sufficiently that everyone has about a week’s notice as to whom they’re playing, and when

Look forward to meeting you!

A group of four to six regular players are meeting weekly at Alternate Worlds in Cockeysville, Maryland. We usually meet on Thursday evenings, but set up individual games at other times as well.New players are welcome and we have loaner armies if needed.

Just tried out Games and Stuff in Glen Burnie last night, they have a nice set up. Lots of tables and terrain. They have Legion night every Monday night. I usually play at Gritty Goblin Games in Maple Lawn/Fulton which has Legion night every other Monday night, with two tables and bring your own terrain.

There's a few of us playing in the area between Baltimore and DC, though not regularly enough for every week that I've seen. If you're up for a game, IM me here or add me to your preferred communication (email chain, Discord, text) and we'll see what we can line up.