ATST back magnetized

By MrMustang, in Painting

So after getting the mortar launch magnetized i was wanting a way to store the weapons when they where not in use so i decided to magnetize the back plate.

I used 2mm x 1mm magnets and 5/64 drill bit. to keep the holes lined up simply hold the back plate in place and drill from the outside.

2ydbSXn.jpg

16 minutes ago, MrMustang said:

So after getting the mortar launch magnetized i was wanting a way to store the weapons when they where not in use so i decided to magnetize the back plate.

When your AT-ST has a lot of junk in the trunk :D

Seriously that is really cool.

Edited by Big Easy

Room for two ewoks and a wookie i'd say :)

Did you try to magnetize the junction between the "head"and the "legs" ? Glueing them together in a fixed position is annoying me.

I was thinking of replacing the plactic ball by a bearing ball and insert a ring magnet inside the "head" socket. The spare ones I have for X-wing big bases .

illustation.jpg.875748a176b756674becfc6b7bfb382f.jpg

(Sorry not at home)

Edited by Cartchan

How did you take the back off?

On making the head rotate:

I glued the ball into the head, then just didn't glue the peg part of the socket into the hips of the leg section. This allows the head to rotate left and right freely as the socket is deep enough to hold the head in place with the power of gravity. I would LOVE to be able to tilt the head up and down on the ball joint, but its pretty hard to do with magnets. The best plan would be to try and get magnets on the sides of the ball, but the socket in the head isn't particularly deep so I'm not sure how well it would actually tilt. You'd still need the hips socket unglued to facilitate lateral movement anyway.

5 minutes ago, Sirdrasco said:

How did you take the back off?

The head comes as one piece, but its actually about 12 pieces that come preassembled. The back is just glued on so you can probably remove it by sliding a hobby knife in the seem and prying it off.

2 hours ago, Cartchan said:

Did you try to magnetize the junction between the "head"and the "legs" ? Glueing them together in a fixed position is annoying me.

I was thinking of replacing the plactic ball by a bearing ball and insert a ring magnet inside the "head" socket. The spare ones I have for X-wing big bases .

(Sorry not at home)

That is not a bad idea. I have been trying to think of a way to do this if i attempt it i will post here with the results.

Again, just don't glue the neck piece into the rest of the body. It holds fine and spins freely then.

3 hours ago, LunarSol said:

Again, just don't glue the neck piece into the rest of the body. It holds fine and spins freely then.

Mine doesn't at all. It spins freely sure, but it also doesnt lock in and rolls right off the base. I was hopping it would pop in and I could move it around.

8 hours ago, SwdPwnzDggr said:

Mine doesn't at all. It spins freely sure, but it also doesnt lock in and rolls right off the base. I was hopping it would pop in and I could move it around.

@LunarSol is talking about this joint to not glue:
Untitled.jpg.d907262339ff57e15204157590ed9d65.jpg

You have to glue the ball part. Hence my suggestion to magnetize.

6 hours ago, Cartchan said:

@LunarSol is talking about this joint to not glue:
Untitled.jpg.d907262339ff57e15204157590ed9d65.jpg

You have to glue the ball part. Hence my suggestion to magnetize.

Right. If you don't glue that part the head can turn at that point.

Also managed to pry the back off and magnetize the mortar. It's pretty easy to do. Just run the blade along the seem at the bottom to break the glue along that edge, then lever it up and it pops right off.

When mine popped off and shot halfway across the room! It scared the tar out of me,I thought it broke in half!

I like the idea of magnetizing the back as a weapon storage compartment might have to do that too

I didn't notice the speeder bikes only fit on the pegs one way initially and just glued them to the base blindly. When I realized my mistake I pried them off and one of them suddenly vanished with a sudden ping against the ceiling followed by another on the table. Definitely a bit of a shock.

On 3/27/2018 at 2:02 PM, Cartchan said:

(Sorry not at home)

It is done have a look at ATST head magnetized. Thanks for the idea

Edited by MrMustang