Running Rebels?

By TrystramK, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/26/running-rebels/

You know what would've been the bees knees to run a Rebels game.... actually having officially stated access to all species present in the main cast of the TV show.

Come on FFG, where is the Lasat species player option. According to the last episode of Rebels....

... the Lasat are not extinct. Indeed, they are thriving on the world discovered in season 2, and invited Kallus to go live with them.

Get it done :P.

The Dawn of Rebellion book is what you want, it has tons of info on Rebels and GM help

20 minutes ago, Lukey84 said:

The Dawn of Rebellion book is what you want, it has tons of info on Rebels and GM help

This was really a response to the post FFG put out about the "Running Rebels". My post was to point out the glaring error in leaving out Lasat as a species option (especially since lasat were not extinct and had repopulated by the epilogue of Rebels). Thanks for the response though.

The devs answered that question on the most recent Order 66 podcast: Given the scope/timeframe of Dawn of the Rebellion, there is - for all intents and purposes - one Lasat out and about in the galaxy, so no player species. (Also the same basic reason the bo-rifle was not included as general gear...there are effectively only two in circulation.)

19 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

The devs answered that question on the most recent Order 66 podcast: Given the scope/timeframe of Dawn of the Rebellion, there is - for all intents and purposes - one Lasat out and about in the galaxy, so no player species. (Also the same basic reason the bo-rifle was not included as general gear...there are effectively only two in circulation.)

I can understand that position, except that the PC's are exceptional people in the galaxy, and should have rare, even exceptionally rare options. Aside from this, there had to have been more than just the 3 Lasat we see in the series in the galaxy for their planet to repopulate within 5 -7 years from the episode in season 2 of rebels, and the epilogue. This conversation is similar to one had about minimum population to repopulate the earth after a catastrophe, explored in such academic works such as https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320707002534 .

So assuming that the Lasat in the epilogue are not all genetic clones, but natural replacement, there was likely a minimal replacement population for around 5000 Lasat in the galaxy during rebels through the epilogue. Obviously we are not privy to details such as their genetic make up, but given that on Wookieepedia under the Cathar entry, it took almost 3000 years for the Cathar species to recover from a near extinction by the Mandalorians, if the Lasat were well on their way to recovery, (to paraphrase Sabine's comments), in such a short period, that means that they were likely much more populated in the galaxy at large, just scattered, and thus "rare".

55 minutes ago, TrystramK said:

I can understand that position, except that the PC's are exceptional people in the galaxy, and should have rare, even exceptionally rare options. Aside from this, there had to have been more than just the 3 Lasat we see in the series in the galaxy for their planet to repopulate within 5 -7 years from the episode in season 2 of rebels, and the epilogue. This conversation is similar to one had about minimum population to repopulate the earth after a catastrophe, explored in such academic works such as https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320707002534 .

So assuming that the Lasat in the epilogue are not all genetic clones, but natural replacement, there was likely a minimal replacement population for around 5000 Lasat in the galaxy during rebels through the epilogue. Obviously we are not privy to details such as their genetic make up, but given that on Wookieepedia under the Cathar entry, it took almost 3000 years for the Cathar species to recover from a near extinction by the Mandalorians, if the Lasat were well on their way to recovery, (to paraphrase Sabine's comments), in such a short period, that means that they were likely much more populated in the galaxy at large, just scattered, and thus "rare".

"Legends of the Lasat" established that the population of Lira San had been there for quite a while (being the original Lasat homeworld), but its location helped keep them hidden. So, it was less a matter of there being enough Lasat left in the galaxy at large to repopulate than a matter of a lost, hidden Lasat society that had fallen into legend over millennia.

That point only strengthens my assertion that the reason for not including Lasat in DoR is spurious at best. Also in at least one episode, Zeb answers the question about other Lasat in the galaxy to Ezra I think as "There aren't many of us left" implying that there is more than just him in the galaxy at large. There just is no good reason to not have published it as a player race.

18 minutes ago, TrystramK said:

That point only strengthens my assertion that the reason for not including Lasat in DoR is spurious at best. Also in at least one episode, Zeb answers the question about other Lasat in the galaxy to Ezra I think as "There aren't many of us left" implying that there is more than just him in the galaxy at large. There just is no good reason to not have published it as a player race.

It also had a lot to do that FFG had little to no idea what, if anything, Rebels were going to do or establish about the Lasat in Rebels, meaning that anything they put in a species writeup could be contradicted by the final season (which finished up at around the same time the book hit the stores). Better to play it safe with the comparatively peripheral species from Rogue One where not much was, nor were likely to established.

2 minutes ago, penpenpen said:

It also had a lot to do that FFG had little to no idea what, if anything, Rebels were going to do or establish about the Lasat in Rebels, meaning that anything they put in a species writeup could be contradicted by the final season (which finished up at around the same time the book hit the stores). Better to play it safe with the comparatively peripheral species from Rogue One where not much was, nor were likely to established.

That is actually a reason I could accept, if it were offered by FFG for it. My only concern would be, for example, other era books in the future avoiding making species entries because their future is "in question" even if the species would be appropriate for the era. In the case of Lasat, no matter what they wrote, as long as it was consistent with the events of rebels to that point, they could've simply had a small side bar stating that the future of the Lasat are in doubt, and may not be appropriate outside of this era.

I mean there is literally nothing preventing us from making stats up for Lasat as a species.

26 minutes ago, TrystramK said:

I mean there is literally nothing preventing us from making stats up for Lasat as a species.

LFL approval = literally nothing? :P

But seriously, the way it was phrased on Order 66 encompassed what @penpenpen said. From my Certain Point of View, anyway.

2 hours ago, TrystramK said:

That is actually a reason I could accept, if it were offered by FFG for it.

While they might be freelance, the writers of DoR ( @KRKappel and I forget who else) that went on Order 66 offered the answer I gave, at least as I recall. I think that's as close were getting to an official answer from FFG about pretty much anything like this.

9 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

LFL approval = literally nothing? :P

But seriously, the way it was phrased on Order 66 encompassed what @penpenpen said. From my Certain Point of View, anyway.

Yes, for us as the game players, we don't need special permissions to just make up stats for the species for use in our games, nor sharing them with the community. If there is a hole in the official content provided, GM's have always had fiat to generate said content and share it. See the unofficial species menagerie as an example of exactly that. Now, I prefer using official content whenever possible, but if there is content simply lacking in a particular area (such as popular species being omitted), someone will fill that gap.

Also I'm not doubting that was the reason quoted verbatim from the podcast. It's just a flimsy one in my opinion. :)

7 hours ago, penpenpen said:

While they might be freelance, the writers of DoR ( @KRKappel and I forget who else) that went on Order 66 offered the answer I gave, at least as I recall. I think that's as close were getting to an official answer from FFG about pretty much anything like this.

Yep, I don't expect an "official" answer. :)

1 hour ago, TrystramK said:

Yes, for us as the game players, we don't need special permissions to just make up stats for the species for use in our games, nor sharing them with the community. If there is a hole in the official content provided, GM's have always had fiat to generate said content and share it. See the unofficial species menagerie as an example of exactly that. Now, I prefer using official content whenever possible, but if there is content simply lacking in a particular area (such as popular species being omitted), someone will fill that gap.

Also I'm not doubting that was the reason quoted verbatim from the podcast. It's just a flimsy one in my opinion. :)

That’s on me. I misread the “us” as “them.”

1 hour ago, TrystramK said:

Yep, I don't expect an "official" answer. :)

One of the guests was Tim Huckleberry, FFG’s lead dev for the book. From that perspective, the only way the answer given (including a few statements about the challenges of writing the Rebels material while the series was still in progress) could be more “official” is if Sam Stewart were to give it.

Now...if you wanted to counter with the notion that Chiss are supposed to be as rare (if not more so) than Lasat in the galaxy, but they’re still a player species? THEN I’ll agree that they’re being inconsistent.

But they have explained their reasoning behind Lasat not being a player species. I may wish they were playable, as well, but I can understand the logic behind their decision.

8 hours ago, Nytwyng said:

That’s on me. I misread the “us” as “them.”

One of the guests was Tim Huckleberry, FFG’s lead dev for the book. From that perspective, the only way the answer given (including a few statements about the challenges of writing the Rebels material while the series was still in progress) could be more “official” is if Sam Stewart were to give it.

Now...if you wanted to counter with the notion that Chiss are supposed to be as rare (if not more so) than Lasat in the galaxy, but they’re still a player species? THEN I’ll agree that they’re being inconsistent.

But they have explained their reasoning behind Lasat not being a player species. I may wish they were playable, as well, but I can understand the logic behind their decision.

Ehhh I'm not debating the "officialness" of their reply to this question, just that their reply just doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it. And yes, as you pointed out, why is Chiss OK, but Lasat not? I don't know.

What I'm hoping is that if they will put Lasat in for a future sourcebook. I do expect the community to reverse engineer the Zeb entry in DoR in the near future as a community effort.

25 minutes ago, TrystramK said:

Ehhh I'm not debating the "officialness" of their reply to this question, just that their reply just doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it. And yes, as you pointed out, why is Chiss OK, but Lasat not? I don't know.

One was shown to be a believed-extinct species with an isolationist homeworld, on a tv show still in production (that could well wipe them all out before all was said and done) when the sourcebook was written. The other was not.

25 minutes ago, TrystramK said:

What I'm hoping is that if they will put Lasat in for a future sourcebook. I do expect the community to reverse engineer the Zeb entry in DoR in the near future as a community effort.

No real need. It’s been in Rancor Publishing Group’s Spark of Rebellion Rebels season 1 sourcebook for a couple of years. Should be linked in the stickied resources thread.

Edited by Nytwyng