Runewars Vassal Module : Beta Development Thread

By tgall, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Hi All,

With 0.7.1, I'm declaring that the module is in Beta mode. (Meaning most of the features are now there and I'm getting to be more in the polish, bug squashing phase) For those that don't know what Vassal is, it's a game engine. vassalengine.org, Download that. Download the module. Pull in the module into the game, Connect and look for an online game. (Join the discord channel to find a game - https://discord.gg/HYwCsJ6 )

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1anNh4-xv61xj_g4E8eqjAH0Eay2CYkii/view?usp=sharing

With Version 0.7.1 I've done the following:

• Added Uthuk trays and dials for all units including Kethra
  • Added 3x2 Carrion Lancers
  • Added 3x2 Rune Golems
  • Rune Golems and Carrion Lancers should retain health through all configurations when trays are removed
  • Fixed a few Menu bugs
  • Reworked health/figure removal for some units. Unit can go to 0 health, tray is removed, not the figure. This makes the key combos more simple for when you lose health.
  • Added a number of the Uthuk specific upgrade cards

Going forward should start to put in Uthuk units so that they are playable over the course of the week. I'll also continue the quest to add in the feature were when you remove a tray that the game remembers the figure count/health of the other trays.

Last real major major feature is putting in Champions.

Feedback, bug requests, artwork, etc are all most welcome. Continued and huge huge huge thank you to Ralf for his recent Distance measurement graphics. If anyone has any painting Uthuk they'd like to take pictures of (top down) and process for use in the game, that'd really really help out!

Thanks again and have fun, let's build that Runewars community!

Hi All

Version 0.7.3 released today.

Link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fD5BUobeNxPf2R-YVbV-ZsYQnNGOUUe7/view?usp=sharing

As I'd been in a bit of a distracted state what all I've managed to do between 0.7.1 and this version is a little hazy.

• Bugs fixed.
  • Added some distance bands
  • Added Ravos
  • Added Flesh Rippers 2x2, 2x1, 1x1
  • Start to lay design groundwork for Champions, Heavy and Hero integrated with units

Feedback, bug reports etc, as always is most welcome.

Automated turns don't seem to be working. They move, but they don't rotate. They do appear to be in the correct spot, though, becuase if you place a template, move them with the automated movement, and then rotate them manually, they line up perfectly with the template. At least it appears to be more accurate than manually moving it to the end of the template.

1 hour ago, Budgernaut said:

Automated turns don't seem to be working. They move, but they don't rotate. They do appear to be in the correct spot, though, becuase if you place a template, move them with the automated movement, and then rotate them manually, they line up perfectly with the template. At least it appears to be more accurate than manually moving it to the end of the template.

thanks for the bug report... will look at it in the morning ... I suspect I know what's going on. Grrrr!

Thanks again @Budgernaut . Will have 0.7.5 with the fix in another hour or two....

Was able to play a game this afternoon with @Aetheriac so we identified a few bugs. I've fixed a few of them and as a results am releasing Version 0.7.6

Link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K1yA756mOnekONMq25-JSRK8q0feT1_X/view?usp=sharing

Fixes :

• 3x2 spearmen can not remove center tray
  • Gain/Lose figure for 1x1 reanimates doesn’t work
  • Lose Right Rear (2x2) figure on Oathsworn is broken
  • Send to discard didn’t for panic cards doesn’t make sense - removed
  • Gain tray wasn’t saving positional state for 1x1 reanimates
  • Cards that exhaust were not rotating to indicate they were exhausted
  • Change rotate dials to left and right arrow
  • Range ruler should be able to be cloned

Version 0.7.7 is released

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j6nh3g3ND0LB8_xhWtYR4D0Y8FWIdsPw/view?usp=sharing

Fixes:

• Add nudge protocol for the range ruler
  • 4x2 Movement template missing left turns
  • Orientation Arrow added for most units
  • Flesh Ripper Wound tracking, etc fixed. 2x1, 2x2 should be ok
  • Distance measure (ctrl-a) isn’t rotating universally with various units

Lacking the alternative setup for cav hawthorne 3x2? and i think 1x3 lonox riders are missing :)

had a problem where when you remove a tray from the Latari archer unit they turn in to superior Daquan spearmen....

Edited by Datskor

I'm not promising a timeline, but I am looking into adding a list importer to the Vassal module.

The proposed idea is basically a plain text parser that will read the Print View text from TabletopAdmiral and Tabletop Miniatures that people will have to copy and paste. It will then place the unit cards, dials, and upgrade cards onto your side of the board. There will be no army validation, nor will there be any tokens added (at least not when it comes out). The card layout will improve as it ages, for starters just getting a stack of cards is the goal.

It will take time to get this working, just wanted to gauge the interest.

Edited by Aetheriac

I was just thinking about this last night. My coding and regular expression knowledge is so rudimentary that I think such a project would take me years, but I'm very much interested in that feature.

16 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I was just thinking about this last night. My coding and regular expression knowledge is so rudimentary that I think such a project would take me years, but I'm very much interested in that feature.

If things work out well, I will probably look into adding it to the Armada module too. For now I'll focus on Runewars as I play it more often.

8 hours ago, Datskor said:

Lacking the alternative setup for cav hawthorne 3x2? and i think 1x3 lonox riders are missing :)

had a problem where when you remove a tray from the Latari archer unit they turn in to superior Daquan spearmen....

Thanks @Datskor - I'll get after it.

Ok so the Latari archer into Spearmen problem should be fixed. I'll issue an update shortly.

The 1x3 Leonx will take more effort as I actually need to do the movement templates for that which can be several hours of effort. That'll be next in queue. Far as hawthorn 3x2, that'll next after that.

Hi! Is there a chance to get some kind of tutorial about module's functionality? It doesn't seem clear to me how to use the unit's cards and dials, and how to use the player's window.

Thanks!