[3.2 Update] Vampire the Requiem - Genesys Conversion

By cyclocius, in Genesys

Hi guys!

This is my work in progress Genesys Conversion of White Wolf's Vampire the Requiem 2nd edition.

Core Rules

Current Release: 2.2

Here's a quick outline of what's included currently:

• Character creation including 5 Clans (Archetypes)
  • Vampire Bloodlines (only 3 right now, bringing my favourite Masquerade clans into the modern day)
  • New uses for Strain as Vampiric power
  • A suite of Vampire Disciplines , functioning as a Vampires innate blood magic and less spell-slinging magic
  • Rules for measuring Vampires morality
  • Vampiric Devotions , combinations of Disciplines that are more powerful than individual Disciplines
  • Blood Rituals (Cruac, Theban, Vicissitude and Thaumaturgy)
  • Bestiary , Nemesis and Rival tier enemies to pit against your party in the long nights.

What's to be included in future releases:

• Fixing all those spelling mistakes and grammar inconsistencies, yum.

What I won't be including (as of this moment):

• Carthian, Invictus and Mysteries of the Dragon
  • Armoury

I must stress that this is not intended to be an entirely comprehensive work. My aim is to produce enough content that a baseline for a game can be established, and that 90% of all scenarios will have some representation within the rules. World of Darkness, and specifically Vampire, has a long contrived History and everybody has favourite pieces and others they'd rather not talk about. This publication is intended to combine as much good content as Requiem has to offer (mixed in with my favourite parts of Masquerade) in one Document. This is highly subjective of course, and if a strong enough case can be made then I'll probably add additional Masquerade content in the future.

This isn't a finished product by any stretch of the word, but I feel that as of right now it is Content Complete. Every system that would alter how you play Genesys is in place, and barring tweaks and re balances, they likely won't change for the foreseeable future. I don't intend to ever be adding an armour of Equipment for players to use, there's very little in Vampire that justifies a chapter worth of unique weapons and armour when everything provided in the Modern Day chapter of the Genesys Corebook should provide enough to get anyone started. Fluff is intentionally left absent, this book will not teach you everything about the Camarilla, Strix or anything Masquerade relevant. If you want to know more, ask about online or pick up a book or pdf off Drivethrurpg. There's definitely some food for thought in those pages.

Happy Hunting Kindred!

Edited by cyclocius
Updating links

Wow that brings back memories! Thanks for sharing.

I’d love to see someone do Werewolf. That was the one I played most.

15 hours ago, ESP77 said:

Wow that brings back memories! Thanks for sharing.

I’d love to see someone do Werewolf. That was the one I played most.

I never got to play Werewolf unfortunately, though being the Spirit Police does sound pretty cool.

I like this a lot! I was never a great fan of Vampire : Requiem and Masquerade because of the rules system but this conversion is really atracting me.

I have a couple of things for you to consider:

- Formatting: The 2-column format is nice but you should make it so that you read it to the bottom and then you swicth to the right side of the page.

- I believe you use Stress and strain alternatively. It is a bit confusing and maybe you should keep to Strain only.

- Resilience discipline is a bit OP in my opinion. Maybe the first ranks should just add a bonus to Resilience check and only levels 3, 4 and 5 add Soak.

Finally, I would love if you included Masquerade clans and Discipline powers. I know is not your priority but just wanted to express my desires.

Edited by Erahard
22 minutes ago, Erahard said:

I like this a lot! I was never a great fan of Vampire : Requiem and Masquerade because of the rules system but this conversion is really atracting me.

I have a couple of things for you to consider:

- Formatting: The 2-column format is nice but you should make it so that you read it to the bottom and then you swicth to the right side of the page.

- I believe you use Stress and strain alternatively. It is a bit confusing and maybe you should keep to Strain only.

- Resilience discipline is a bit OP in my opinion. Maybe the first ranks should just add a bonus to Resilience check and only levels 3, 4 and 5 add Soak.

Finally, I would love if you included Masquerade clans and Discipline powers. I know is not your priority but just wanted to express my desires.

For formatting, I'm currently redoing it in Indesign! I think it might be a limitation of how Word does columns but I'm not too sure. I'll be sure to pass through and fix Stress to Strain, one of my players has taken to calling it Stress and I think I've picked it up. I like the idea for Resilience! Right now it's a bit of a holdover from when Vigour did much the same thing, just boosted and upgraded Brawl and Athletics rolls.

For Masquerade I'm keeping my distance for now. If some of the Disciplines make for a better fit then I might fit some in instead. Masquerade Clans i'm also a little unsure of right now. Requiem did a peculiar job of messing around with clan Archetypes, gutting Nosferatu's sneaky spy aspect and mixing Ravnos in to make Mekhet, rolling Brujah into Gangrel (I'm okay with this one), and turning Toreador into Daeva but keeping Ventrue the same with no name change. It's all a bit confusing. When I'm satisfied with the conversion, I'll want to bring over Lasombra and Tzimisce though, those guys were always fun at parties.

I've updated this to 1.2! I've moved the publication over to Indesign for smoother formatting, added Devotions and Blood Rituals and corrected some typos and formatting errors across the board. I hope to start playtesting this soon, once that's done I'll hopefully be able to ascertain if any key talents or other gameplay elements are missing and identify any weaknesses or imbalances in the current rules and rectify them. Then it's onto the easy stuff like making gear and NPCs for a small Bestiary. Be sure to let me know if you guys read anything that doesn't make any sense, could use further clarification or just seems broken.

Under Celerity, Quicken and Hasten I assume allow additional maneuvers above the standard 2 per turn cap. You should add language saying as much. As writen it’s a little vague.

Edited by ESP77

You should get this put onto the master resources list.

9 hours ago, ESP77 said:

Under Celerity, Quicken and Hasten I assume allow additional maneuvers above the standard 2 per turn cap. You should add language saying as much. As writen it’s a little vague.

Thanks, it is intended to allow that to be broken but I didn't absolutely state as such. Cheers.

After three or so weeks of playtesting with my group, I'm relatively confident and happy to declare that the latest release of Vampire the Requiem is Content Complete. Sift through it and let me know what you all think, raise any concerns you may have. I can barely see the forest for the trees anymore with regards to spelling errors and formatting shortcomings, so anything you can offer is greatly appreciated. I've updated the OP with what's included in the latest release. Happy Hunting Kindred.

Kudo's to the creator! (converter?)

I am intending to use these to make some nastier fantasy enemies for my players.

14 hours ago, Doomgrin75 said:

Kudo's to the creator! (converter?)

I am intending to use these to make some nastier fantasy enemies for my players.

Cheers! Let me know how it goes, it wasn't designed with the archetypal fantasy Vampire in mind but I'd be keen to see if it still works appropriately. There's no Necromancy though (beyond raising animals), which is the biggest setback I see right now. You can probably go without using Bestial Nature (or just set your Antagonist Vampire at Bestial Nature 5 and make him always monstrous), Frenzy might be interesting. Your Adventurers think they have the Vampire cornered with blazing torches and he goes mad with bloodlust and attacks them.

This is awesome! I'll be running this next!

Looks great! I am going to see if I can adapt Old Clan Tzimisce for one of my players, as its fairly obscure, but a very interesting read, especially as it differs greatly from new Clan Tzimisce. I love the rules, and its very useful for describing especially parts of how Vampires work in Requiem and Masquerade that differs from D&D and Elder Scrolls in how it functions. The strain mechanic is very useful, as it prevents them from getting too OP, given they fight mortals who can recover strain, but they must feed to get theirs back.

On 7/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, Mathadar said:

Looks great! I am going to see if I can adapt Old Clan Tzimisce for one of my players, as its fairly obscure, but a very interesting read, especially as it differs greatly from new Clan Tzimisce. I love the rules, and its very useful for describing especially parts of how Vampires work in Requiem and Masquerade that differs from D&D and Elder Scrolls in how it functions. The strain mechanic is very useful, as it prevents them from getting too OP, given they fight mortals who can recover strain, but they must feed to get theirs back.

I'm sorry dude, I've not been on this forum for a while and didn't see the post! Thanks for the feedback, a lot of love and effort went into it and it's due for a rewrite sometime soon (I've started running a different game in the meantime at my groups behest and this conversion has suffered accordingly. I'm curious to see what old Clan Tzimisce brings to the table for sure, the Ritual rules (as they stand right now) are something I'm not happy with, I feel like there needs to be more clarity in what they enable and how they're carried out. And Vicissitude is such a large part of the identity of any incarnation of Tzimisce that I feel they've been done a disservice. I appreciate the comments re: Strain. It took a bit of thinking and a lot of overcomplication before it was completely stripped back to what it is now. Good luck with your work on old clan Tzimisce! Be sure to post it, I'd love to read it.

hello i cant seam to find the 2.2 version, there is only a link to version 2.0 ??

On 8/2/2018 at 1:25 AM, Terefang said:

hello i cant seam to find the 2.2 version, there is only a link to version 2.0 ??

That's my bad. Formatting and updating is my achilles heel, and I just didn't update the OP to state that this was 2.2. It's using a flexible link on google drive that I just update with each new iteration as I make it, and I didn't update the OP here to reflect that. What you get from the link in the OP is 2.2.