ice storm card

By Headspin, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

blast 1 + blast 1 (2 surges)

if 2 surges are rolled, are the blasts cumulative or applied separately?

so if I roll 5 hits + 2 surges against creature with armour 4, are the wounds 6?

or are the wounds 2 (ie, 5-4 + 5-4) ?

Headspin said:

so if I roll 5 hits + 2 surges against creature with armour 4, are the wounds 6?

The Blast stacks, so you have Blast 2

Blast doesn't affect the damage. It only affects the area, and thus the number of figures hit by the attack. Spending 2 surges in this case simply adds one more square of area to the blast attack. Think of spending surges to change it from Blast 1 to Blast 2. Any creatures inside that area have the same attack applied to them one time.

Headspin said:

See above. I must say, this is one of the most strange misinterpretations of a rule I've yet seen.

I think the answer to your question is "cumulative"- if an attack has Blast 2, it affects the target (*once*, please note) plus any figure within 2 spaces, but nonetheless, it does not deal 6 wounds. Blast 1 + Blast 1 is in every way equivalent to Blast 2: the attack does not have two "separate" instances of Blast 1.

The target in the case above takes 1 damage, regardless of how much Blast you have. No matter what the Blast ability of a weapon is, it affects any one target once only.

I'm new to these type of games, so what might seem obvious, isn't necessarily obvious to everyone, thanks for your patience.