From The Grave Necromancy, How does it actually work?

By oldblackeyes, in WFRP Rules Questions

I have from the grave and have been trying to build a necromancer PC. (I'll probably never get to play it but hey, I just enjoy character creation) I keep running up against the problem of how one actually acquires the necromancy order talent and spell cards. From the grave includes a necromancy order card but it includes no further instructions as to how one acquires the card unlike say the dark magic card. To enter the necromancer career you must have first completed the witch or apprentice wizard career. The problem is that as I understand the rules as written an apprentice wizard may NEVER learn another order (except dark magic which has a specific exemption) not only that the necromancy order has no stance meter on it so an apprentice wizard with just necromancy would have no stance pieces. If you go the witch route you could acquire the card but as per the witchcraft rules would only be able to learn lvl 1 spells witch would totally gimp the necromancer since with from the grave cards alone the only lvl1 spells only affect friendly undead which you can never raise because thats a lvl2 spell! I hope this all makes sense thanks in advance for any help you can give.

So you have written: apprentice wizard may NEVER learn another order

I see it another way: apprentice wizard IS FORBIDDEN to learn another order because some old elven teacher (Teclis) said that it is dangerous to weak human minds. But hey - you want to resurrect your beloved girl, don't you? What could Teclis know about your pain? Aren't you the most skilled student in the whole Amethyst College? If you only tried to connect Amethyst wind with a little bit of the Green one... It is not that hard to get your hands on "Green wind 101 course" Tome, isn't it?

Or the simple way: "WOW! Is that really 20 pages of NECRONOMICON?! How come that dead merchant bought it? I guess we will never find out.... or, well, let's try" :>

Good gaming to you bro!

Since PadreBoniface has already given the in-character justification, I'll focus on the rules.

Necromancy talent card: I think the assumption is you acquire it when you enter the Necromancer career. It would take a pretty harsh GM not to allow this! It might be at the expense of your old order card though.

From Apprentice Wizard: the Necromancer career has a built-in stance meter, so I'd say that becomes the character's new default stance meter (as per rules for entering a new career).

From Witch: a generous GM might let you learn lvl 2+ Necromancy spells since you're a Necromancer now rather than a Witch - the trade off being that you can't learn spells from other orders (or new Hedge Magic spells) anymore. I'm not sure, but based on the wording of the rules Warlocks might not have the restriction on only learning lvl 1 spells. If so, you could go Witch -> Warlock -> Necromancer.

Hope that helps.