keeping characters into different quests

By Headspin, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I'm new to playing descent.

Is the game designed for the same characters to be used from quest to quest? or is it designed to start each quest with new characters and new equipment from the allocated 300 coins?

do you take the abilities and equipment, weapons etc into the next quest? or would the characters be too strong?

can't find anything in the manual.

Headspin said:

I'm new to playing descent.

Is the game designed for the same characters to be used from quest to quest? or is it designed to start each quest with new characters and new equipment from the allocated 300 coins?

do you take the abilities and equipment, weapons etc into the next quest? or would the characters be too strong?

can't find anything in the manual.

Every quest is a new game. Which means new characters, new skills, new starting equipment.
There are some basic 'campaign' rules in the quest guide for keeping the same heroes and skills, but not equipment. They are pretty crap rules.
If you want true hero advancement then buy either of the advanced campaign expansions (RtL or SoB). In those the heroes start with only a single skill and over the course of many dungeons, outdoor encounters, seiges, training and more gain more skills, better trait dice, more and better treasure and fight stronger and nastier monsters.

In the "hall of the monkey kings" quest in altar of despair expansion, i was wondering what the purpose of the gold chest was in the last area 7?

since there are 4 apes at the end of the corridor, there would be no way of getting to the chest without killing the apes, and killing the apes ends the quest.

Headspin said:

In the "hall of the monkey kings" quest in altar of despair expansion, i was wondering what the purpose of the gold chest was in the last area 7?

since there are 4 apes at the end of the corridor, there would be no way of getting to the chest without killing the apes, and killing the apes ends the quest.

1. There are various skills and items that would allow the heroes to 'move' the apes or move through the apes.

2. You could kill only some of the apes and get past, or the apes could move themselves.

3. Not everything has a necessary purpose all the time.

Uh...those apes aren't even blocking the chest. There's a clear, straight shot from the entrance to the chest with nothing in the way.

It is conceivable (if the heroes don't move very fast) that they might possibly move forward and rotate themselves so as to block the corridor. Or sit on top of the chest. Both of those look like really bad tactical options for the apes, though, as either would make it very difficult to attack the heroes (they're melee attackers, can't move "sideways", and would ideally be using Leap to hit multiple heroes, which means they end up on the far side of the heroes and can't continue moving).

I have no clue what you're concerned about.