An ominous figure emerges from the jungle...

By Rikalonius, in Legends of the Alliance

Oona goota, Solo?

So, I haven't had a chance to play the app since it first came out. Tonight I uncovered my table, got a Guinness and sat in my comfy chair ready to try out the first mission of the campaign. After numerous troops, including an E-Web, Elite Stormtroopers, and an Imperial Officer emerged from the jungle, I was informed that an ominous figure was approaching. And then out popped Greedo. It was like something out of Robot Chicken.

That’s alright, I got agent Blaise last night. My “Ominous figure” was a scout trooper with his helmet off.

At least Greedo is a zombie :P

I got Greedo and my first random ally was Obi-Wan. For some reason this bothers me less than having the Emperor or Jabba showing up randomly or Wampas in the desert. I guess with Greedo there is always the option on unselecting him if you don't want to see him showing up, as the gun that comes with him is not really desirable. If your bothered by Obi-Wan it is a bit more of a problem if you have a Jedi in your group as he is the only way to get a light saber in the app and the only really good one as well. Then there is the Inquisitor with Electrostaff as well.

The app cries out for a timeline option.

7 minutes ago, Master Wang said:

The app cries out for a timeline option.

Sounds like users crying. The app is quietly satisfied with the situation.

(What's wrong with not clicking on the packs you don't want to see?)

5 minutes ago, a1bert said:

I’ll rephrase: I imagine a sizeable number of users, including myself, would be very happy if there were an option to have the abandoned timeline feature from regular campaign available in the app.

(Well, if you like force users and/or melee heroes, you lose the two best weapons.)

My "Ominous figure" was Jabba so it's not that funny at all in my case....

for me, it was IG-88.

On 3/15/2018 at 4:10 PM, a1bert said:

Cause some items are in those packs.

I had a mission that started good...then went downhill in a hurry.
Jumped by IG-88, then the arrival of two sentry droids, two imperial officers, two probe droids and the ominous figure of.... Emperor Palpatine.
Pretty much, I got taken out behind the woodshed.

My ominous figure was a Jawa

j/k

I need to expand my repertoire. I need some less ominous ominous figures.

18 minutes ago, LugWrench said:

I need to expand my repertoire. I need some less ominous ominous figures.

Mildly threatening, casually terrifying, sinister, a spicy boi?

Do any of those work for you?

Edited by MadFuhrer

Mostly harmless?

We just played this mission last night - first we got jumped by IG-88 and that guy was a real pain, so we pretty much ran away and ignored him.

Then the ominous figure was 0-0-0, who had never been on the table before. He was quite a threat, and immediately took out a Rebel token. When we had him, IG-88, Jet Troopers, Heavy Stormies, and a Probe Droid and an Officer on the board I really thought we were in for a hard time. Luckily we had an Environment Hazard Suit and a good number of medpacs to keep one hero healthy.

I really liked the design of the mission and how the App provided a level of interactivity in mission events (conversations, etc) that felt very different from a normal campaign mission.

Doing our second play through the app (without the tutorial this time). So our ominous figure was Captain Terro. Seems ok. That was certainly better than in a previous mission a random figure assignment inside the imperial “Death Star Terminal” tile was...... Jabba! My daughter started cracking up picturing Jabba just hanging out working on of those terminals on the Death Star. That figure placement..... did not exactly work :)

Maybe they can at least take habitat into account when placing random figures. And some figures like Jabba / Emporer probably need their own rules as to when it is appropriate for them to deploy.

I'm also doing a second play through. I got snowtroopers deployed on Yavin (first mission). Somehow I was fine with it since besides Return to Hoth these are units that rarely see play time on my table. Later on, the ominous figure was Agent Blaise. Made sense since the the imperials are rushing Yavin to take out some rebels.

In the second mission, I got more snowtroopers (must be winter time on Ord Mantell) and this time the ominous figure deployed was General Sorin. Considering he was deployed among imperial units, again I thought it made sense.

This second mission clearly shows that the app can distinguish between merc and imperial symbol figures. For instance, when one of the door opens, the figures deployed inside the chamber are always mercenaries, while later on, when the tokens are flipped on the rebel sides, figures being deployed next to the shuttle are always imperial symbol figures. For a thematic flavor, the ominous figure deployment should also be restricted to merc or imperial depending on the context. For example, in the first mission on Yavin, it would be thematic if the ominous figure was always an imperial symbol figure. Some bounty hunters could make sense, but I'd be happy with just a restriction based on the symbol on the deployment card. Some have reported Jabba being deployed during the Yavin mission, which can be a let down from a thematic point of view.

52 minutes ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

I'm also doing a second play through. I got snowtroopers deployed on Yavin (first mission). Somehow I was fine with it since besides Return to Hoth these are units that rarely see play time on my table. Later on, the ominous figure was Agent Blaise. Made sense since the the imperials are rushing Yavin to take out some rebels.

In the second mission, I got more snowtroopers (must be winter time on Ord Mantell) and this time the ominous figure deployed was General Sorin. Considering he was deployed among imperial units, again I thought it made sense.

This second mission clearly shows that the app can distinguish between merc and imperial symbol figures. For instance, when one of the door opens, the figures deployed inside the chamber are always mercenaries, while later on, when the tokens are flipped on the rebel sides, figures being deployed next to the shuttle are always imperial symbol figures. For a thematic flavor, the ominous figure deployment should also be restricted to merc or imperial depending on the context. For example, in the first mission on Yavin, it would be thematic if the ominous figure was always an imperial symbol figure. Some bounty hunters could make sense, but I'd be happy with just a restriction based on the symbol on the deployment card. Some have reported Jabba being deployed during the Yavin mission, which can be a let down from a thematic point of view.

I had Greedo appear one time in the first mission as the ominous figure!

11 hours ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

For a thematic flavor, the ominous figure deployment should also be restricted to merc or imperial depending on the context.

Sounds pretty simple to do since it's already been done. Come on FFG.