New Psyker Discipline

By Cobramax76, in Dark Heresy House Rules

I thought that the Corebook and all the others were sorely lacking in potential psyker abilities / disciplines so....Id like to get anyone / everyone's take on this set...

Chronomancy.rtf

7 hours ago, Cobramax76 said:

"Sorry, there is a problem

The page you are trying to access is not available for your account.

Error code: 2C171/1"

Hmmm...Sorry about that. Here it is in regular format.

40K Psyker Chronomancy Discipline

Temporal
1.) Gate of Infinity: The Psyker is able to create a stable passageway through the Warp, allowing him and his allies to teleport to any location on the battlefield instantly.
NOTE: Stepping through the gate into the warp unshielded will cause a Willower test with a -20 penalty. Failure means the PC takes 1d5 Corruption AND 1d5 Insanity.
Threshold: 25 Range: 1km/WP bonus point Focus: Half Sustained: No Duration: Instant
Overbleed: For every 10 points above threshold the psyker can extend the range another 1km OR reduce the penalty of the Willpower test by one degree.

2.) Veil of Time: The Psyker steps out of phase with time, witnessing myriad potential futures and using that knowledge to alter the course of events to prevent or bring them about.
Effect: Grants the psyker a +30 bonus to all interactions the round following the psykers return to normal time.
Threshold: 18 Range: Self Focus: Half Sustained: No Duration: Up to 1 round per WP bonus point
Overbleed: For every 10 points above threshold the psyker can extend the duration another 1 round.

3.) Quickening: The Psyker wraps an ally in a localized warp based chronometric field to increase the number of attacks an ally can make per round.
Effect: Grants the target double their normal number of attacks per round.
NOTE: For every round spent in the effects of this ability above the subjects Toughness bonus the subject will take 1 level of fatigue once the ability is over ( save vs Toughness at -10 for half/no fatigue )
Threshold: 17 Range: Another Focus: Half Sustained: Yes Duration: Up to 1 round per WP bonus point
Overbleed: For every 10 points above threshold the psyker can EITHER extend the duration another 1 round, make the Toughness test one degree easier, OR increase the number of attacks by 1 more multiple ( IE from x2 to x3 etc..)

4.) Quicksilver: The Psyker is able to focus the power of their subconsciousness, enhancing the speed of their attacks.
Effect: The psyker gains double the normal number of attacks per round.
NOTE: For every round spent in the effects of this ability above the subjects Toughness bonus the subject will take 1 level of fatigue once the ability is over ( save vs Toughness at -10 for half/no fatigue )
Threshold: 15 Range: Self Focus: Half Sustained: Yes Duration: Up to 1 round per WP bonus point
Overbleed: For every 10 points above threshold the psyker can EITHER extend the duration another 1 round, make the Toughness test one degree easier, OR increase the number of attacks by 1 more multiple ( IE from x2 to x3 etc..)

5.) Mire: The psyker causes a target to make an opposed WP test or become slowed. Slowed targets can only move 1/2 normal and lose half their actions/attacks per round.
Threshold: 17 Range: WP bonus x 10m Focus: Half Sustained: Yes Duration: Up to 1 round per WP bonus point
Overbleed: For every 10 points above the threshold the psyker can increase the difficulty of the opposed WP test by one degree.
NOTE: This makes the target easier to hit due to the slower movement. Any attacks against a target affected by this power is at a +30.

6.) Chrono Echo: The psyker causes a localized ( 5m ) "echo" of a sound ( ex. a scream, brief taunt ( 3 words or less ) ) to come from a location of the psykers chosing ( must be able to directly see the location desired or this power fails automatically. Useful as a distraction.
Threshold: 9 Range: Sight Focus: Half Sustained: No Duration: Instant
Overbleed: For every 5 points above threshold the psyker can make the sound more complex ( IE adding a word to a taunt or more immersive background feeling ) This causes a cumulative penalty of -5 to the Int test to disbelieve or see through the ruse.

7.) Chrono blast: The psyker focuses an intense sphere of chronometric energy and hurls it at any target in line of sight ( Use Ag to hit ) If hit the target takes 1d10+WP bonus direct to Toughness ( WP test for half damage ) +1 level of fatigue, as this attack causes the targets cellular makeup to instantly age.
Threshold: 12 Range: Sight Focus: Half Sustained: No Duration: Instant
Overbleed: For every 10 points above threshold the psyker can increase the damage of the blast adding 1d10 ( IE 1d10+WP becomes 2d10+WP, etc )
NOTE: This power does work on inanimate objects as well..aging them the equivalent of 10yrs per point of damage dealt. ( Ex..a psyker with a WP bonus of 5 hits with this power dealing a total of 15pts damage to a heavy wooden door barring his way. The door is aged ( no saving throw ) 150yrs...causing the door to age and weaken as if it was 150yrs older instantly. If done to an enemies weapon, armor, or gear it will cause it to become at least 1 quality level lower ( GM discretion ) or more.

8.) Stasis: The psyker creates a localized field of null-time ( identical to a normal mechanical stasis field device only warp based ) large enough to encompass a human. ( Ag test to avoid )
Threshold: 15 Range: Sight Focus: Half Sustained: Yes Duration: 1 round per WP bonus
Overbleed: For every 10 points above the threshold the psyker can make the Ag test one degree more difficult ( cummulative ) OR make the duration last 1 round longer, OR make the area of effect one size category larger ( IE from normal-human sized to hulking etc )
NOTE: Targets locked in this stasis CANNOT be damaged OR move the same as cargo locked in stasis.

9.) Reverse Aging: The psyker focuses the warp to alter and reverse the passage and effects of time itself on self or another to rejuvenate them by literally making them younger again.
Threshold: 23 Range: Self or another Focus: Full Sustained: Yes Duration: Permanent
Note: This power can be sustained round by round up to a maximum of 5 rounds at a time. Each successful round removes 10 years of age from the recipient. More than 1 use of this ability on the same recipient in a year can cause a backlash effect ( aging instead of reversing it ) ( Toughness test at -30 to avoid )

10.) Duplicate: The psyker causes space/time to fold into itself and temporarily create a mirror image of themselves that can fight and act independently but with a shared mind.
Threshold: 25 Range: Self Focus: Full Sustained: Yes Duration: 1 round
Overbleed: For every 10 points the psyker exceeds the threshold by they can either create another mirror image OR extend the duration by another round.
Note: If the actual psyker is incapacitated or killed before the end of the manifestation timeframe then ALL images will instantly dissipate.

10 minutes ago, Cobramax76 said:

1.) Gate of Infinity: The Psyker is able to create a stable passageway through the Warp, allowing him and his allies to teleport to any location on the battlefield instantly.
NOTE: Stepping through the gate into the warp unshielded will cause a Willower test with a -20 penalty. Failure means the PC takes 1d5 Corruption AND 1d5 Insanity.
Threshold: 25 Range: 1km/WP bonus point Focus: Half Sustained: No Duration: Instant
Overbleed: For every 10 points above threshold the psyker can extend the range another 1km OR reduce the penalty of the Willpower test by one degree.

Looks about right. In fact, might be quoted from somewhere else?

11 minutes ago, Cobramax76 said:

2.) Veil of Time: The Psyker steps out of phase with time, witnessing myriad potential futures and using that knowledge to alter the course of events to prevent or bring them about.
Effect: Grants the psyker a +30 bonus to all interactions the round following the psykers return to normal time.
Threshold: 18 Range: Self Focus: Half Sustained: No Duration: Up to 1 round per WP bonus point
Overbleed: For every 10 points above threshold the psyker can extend the duration another 1 round.

+30 to any test for...let's say 4-5 rounds? That's pretty darn harsh!

12 minutes ago, Cobramax76 said:

3.) Quickening: The Psyker wraps an ally in a localized warp based chronometric field to increase the number of attacks an ally can make per round.
Effect: Grants the target double their normal number of attacks per round.
Threshold: 17 Range: Another Focus: Half Sustained: Yes Duration: Up to 1 round per WP bonus point

I'd check for fatigue at the end of each round the ability is active. After all, they're essentially 'rushing' through their own life.

I would pick one, or at most 2 overbleed effects.

How do you see this interacting with stuff like two weapon wielder or lightning attack?

What's the range? Surely I must at least be able to see the target, if not touch them?

14 minutes ago, Cobramax76 said:

4.) Quicksilver: The Psyker is able to focus the power of their subconsciousness, enhancing the speed of their attacks.
Effect: The psyker gains double the normal number of attacks per round.
Threshold: 15 Range: Self Focus: Half Sustained: Yes Duration: Up to 1 round per WP bonus point

See comments above.

Why make this a separate power? Is it not basically identical to the quickening but with target self instead of target other

15 minutes ago, Cobramax76 said:

5.) Mire: The psyker causes a target to make an opposed WP test or become slowed. Slowed targets can only move 1/2 normal and lose half their actions/attacks per round.
Threshold: 17 Range: WP bonus x 10m Focus: Half Sustained: Yes Duration: Up to 1 round per WP bonus point
Overbleed: For every 10 points above the threshold the psyker can increase the difficulty of the opposed WP test by one degree.
NOTE: This makes the target easier to hit due to the slower movement. Any attacks against a target affected by this power is at a +30.

+30 to hit a target is awesome enough by itself.

How does losing half your attacks work when 90% of targets will only have one?

Half movement is fine.

Personally, I would slow their movement, give a bonus to hit, and potentially impact their ability to dodge and parry; if you're slowing people down, surely their ability to react to stuff would be the first thing you impact?

17 minutes ago, Cobramax76 said:

6.) Chrono Echo: The psyker causes a localized ( 5m ) "echo" of a sound ( ex. a scream, brief taunt ( 3 words or less ) ) to come from a location of the psykers chosing ( must be able to directly see the location desired or this power fails automatically. Useful as a distraction.
Threshold: 9 Range: Sight Focus: Half Sustained: No Duration: Instant
Overbleed: For every 5 points above threshold the psyker can make the sound more complex ( IE adding a word to a taunt or more immersive background feeling ) This causes a cumulative penalty of -5 to the Int test to disbelieve or see through the ruse.

this frankly looks more like a minor psychic power (an equivalent of Warp howl or an auditory version of Psychic Stench). It's certainly not something I'd expect to be a threshold 9 discipline power.

20 minutes ago, Cobramax76 said:

7.) Chrono blast: The psyker focuses an intense sphere of chronometric energy and hurls it at any target in line of sight ( Use Ag to hit ) If hit the target takes 1d10+WP bonus direct to Toughness ( WP test for half damage ) +1 level of fatigue, as this attack causes the targets cellular makeup to instantly age.
Overbleed: For every 10 points above threshold the psyker can increase the damage of the blast adding 1d10 ( IE 1d10+WP becomes 2d10+WP, etc )
NOTE: This power does work on inanimate objects as well..aging them the equivalent of 10yrs per point of damage dealt. ( Ex..a psyker with a WP bonus of 5 hits with this power dealing a total of 15pts damage to a heavy wooden door barring his way. The door is aged ( no saving throw ) 150yrs...causing the door to age and weaken as if it was 150yrs older instantly. If done to an enemies weapon, armor, or gear it will cause it to become at least 1 quality level lower ( GM discretion ) or more.

How do you use agility to hit? Is it an unmodified agility test?

Unless specified otherwise, characteristic damage is not permanent - is it your intention for this to be?

If so, this is really, really harsh! 22 is not hard to get, and removing 2D10+5 toughness from a target instantly can be devastating, especially since the most the target can do is half the damage, not resist it entirely (which feels a touch unfair).

Whilst I get that items should be vulnerable, I'm not convinced by the rules; reducing the quality doesn't really make sense, because whilst a poor quality item falling to bits after 'ten years' of aging makes perfect sense, a Best-craftsmanship power sword is potentially hundreds or even thousands of years old, and aging it an extra couple of decades will achieve precisely squat.

26 minutes ago, Cobramax76 said:

8.) Stasis: The psyker creates a localized field of null-time ( identical to a normal mechanical stasis field device only warp based ) large enough to encompass a human. ( Ag test to avoid )
Threshold: 15 Range: Sight Focus: Half Sustained: Yes Duration: 1 round per WP bonus
Overbleed: For every 10 points above the threshold the psyker can make the Ag test one degree more difficult ( cummulative ) OR make the duration last 1 round longer, OR make the area of effect one size category larger ( IE from normal-human sized to hulking etc )
NOTE: Targets locked in this stasis CANNOT be damaged OR move the same as cargo locked in stasis.

It's essentially "psychic stasis grenade". Is there not a version of this power in Deathwatch?

27 minutes ago, Cobramax76 said:

9.) Reverse Aging: The psyker focuses the warp to alter and reverse the passage and effects of time itself on self or another to rejuvenate them by literally making them younger again.
Threshold: 23 Range: Self or another Focus: Full Sustained: Yes Duration: Permanent
Note: This power can be sustained round by round up to a maximum of 5 rounds at a time. Each successful round removes 10 years of age from the recipient. More than 1 use of this ability on the same recipient in a year can cause a backlash effect ( aging instead of reversing it ) ( Toughness test at -30 to avoid )

Does this actually have a mechanical effect?

What happens if I sustain the power for 4 rounds on a 30-year-old individual? since there is no provision for resisting it, does that not kill them (technically un-exist them) with no possibility of survival?

28 minutes ago, Cobramax76 said:

10.) Duplicate: The psyker causes space/time to fold into itself and temporarily create a mirror image of themselves that can fight and act independently but with a shared mind.
Overbleed: For every 10 points the psyker exceeds the threshold by they can either create another mirror image OR extend the duration by another round.
Note: If the actual psyker is incapacitated or killed before the end of the manifestation timeframe then ALL images will instantly dissipate.

Okay....I was going to argue with the overbleed effect, but thinking about it, extra duplicate for one round/duplicate for one extra round actually seems about equivalent. You shouldn't be getting multiple levels of overbleed easily with a threshold of 25 and an overbleed of 10

Where does the mirror image appear? The range 'self' isn't needed because it automatically targets you, but making the duplicate appear a couple of metres away could help.

How does duration 1 round interact with being a sustained power? One round after you stop sustaining it?

The power at first look appears pretty useless; I spend a full action (my entire turn) to create a clone of me, who acts for one turn then disappears. Which means that in real terms, I gain nothing except a risk of psychic phenomena.

Since the mirror image is a clone of me, and must therefore be a psyker, what happens if the mirror image(s) start casting duplicate?

Magnus: In order of them...

1) I had the idea from one of the books i had read some years ago yes but fleshed the ability out according to how it was in the book...didnt really find any stats anywhere else to pull from.

2) I was limiting it to the single round after the psyker comes back as there are similar abilities for that and they are all limited in the same manner but...i can see extending it ( hence the overbleed extension ...with enough overbleed you can extend it for several rounds )

3) A common idea with the abilities is that anything past Toughness threshold will incur fatigue. ( or the round following the end of the ability giving automatic fatigue ( test for half ) As for the overbleed...i think you might be right...i think ill remove the Toughness extra from it and limit it to the attacks and duration only as options. Thanks for the catch i actually hadnt noticed i put 3 in there ( did the extensions of these abilities at end of a long 32hr day...lol )

4) Often youll see the abilities separated between self and others for who it can/will affect so i continued with the same ( and to make the 10 ability standard for a full discipline...lol it helped flesh things out a bit )

5) When you only had 1 attack to begin with you would effectively count as stunned or prone ( especially with half movement etc ) IE all the little red shirt npcs would be auto-hit unless you fumbled ( this ability all but saved GM's a bit of time and rolling when used on background npcs / enemies etc ) As far as their ability score/bonus being halved....i intended on that but somehow managed to forget to mention it ( again was operating on a 32hr day already ) so thanks for the catch...ill have to reword it to make it fit better / more accurately.

6) Yeah after reading it again im inclined to agree and will be redoing this one entirely as soon as i get the chance....ugh...lol

7) Your using AG to hit because you are literally hurling ( think along same lines as Ken or Ryu's Shoryuken blast...) the energy. The strike should be done the same as if it was a thrown weapon ( which in essence it is ) Will have to reword that one to make it fit better what i intended.

8) I dont have Deathwatch so i dont know. If so then the specs would be much appreciated so i can peruse them and see.

9) Oops...i noticed that..lol I hadnt even considered a combat usage for this. I was thinking solely about it being used to extend life indefinitely ( rejuvenat treatments only more effective and literal ) The game mechanic is up to the GM. Personally once PC's reach advanced age ( around 180-200ish ) i will impose ability penalties ( AG, T, S, etc ) and they will progress every so many decades by another amount ( its a way to effectively determine the PC's max age based on health etc....If the ability reaches 0...they die...old age and infirmity. Its also why i limited the total number of round extensions for this ability AND put the backlash effect into it for repeated usage in a timeframe on the same PC. To limit its use on people...BUT...for combat sense of it i agree. I would say a WP test to resist/refuse the change if unwilling with no effects if successful....Will have to amend that one...Thanks for the catch..totally missed that one.

10) Hehe...Now your getting the idea. The 1 turn focus is to manifest as usual...It will exist for 1 full turn the following turn of your focus ( if successful ) The clone can use all the same psy abilties you have EXCEPT the duplicate. Imagine a psyker with this ability and force barrage using it to down a daemon prince through multiple force barrages from 3 or 4 clones...obviously something like this would be for boss level hits because the perils chance for regular games would become very real otherwise. But it would give a lower power group the chance to survive an otherwise fatal trap. ( you could always limit this one to a higher level NPC guide etc )

Thanks for the feedback and catching some of my mistakes...

OK..took a few minutes to look over the file and make some alterations to it as discussed. Here are some of the reworks so far. The abilities particulars are in bold along with any changes or additions ive made to them from the original.

Overbleed: For every 10 points above threshold the psyker can extend the duration another 1 round after they step back into normal time.

3.) Quickening: The Psyker wraps an ally in a localized warp based chronometric field to increase the number of attacks an ally can make per round and double their normal movement speed.
Effect: Grants the target double their normal number of attacks per round and movement speed.
Threshold: 17 Range: Sight Focus: Half Sustained: Yes Duration: Up to 1 round per WP bonus point
Overbleed: For every 10 points above threshold the psyker can EITHER extend the duration another 1 round, OR increase the number of attacks by 1 more multiple ( IE from x2 to x3 etc..)

5) Mire: I looked at this one a bit closer and realized i had taken it into consideration. For those who have only 1 attack but all pc/npc get a base of 2 half actions ( or an attack ) they loose ONE of those actions...limiting them to anything that takes Half an action or less ( and then at the penalties ) " The psyker causes a target to make an opposed WP test or become slowed. Slowed targets can only move 1/2 normal and lose half their actions /attacks per round.

7.) Chrono blast: The psyker focuses an intense sphere of chronometric energy and hurls it at any target in line of sight ( treat the same as thrown weapon ) If hit the target takes 1d10+WP bonus direct to Toughness ( WP test for half damage ) +1 level of fatigue, as this attack causes the targets cellular makeup to instantly age.

9.) Reverse Aging: The psyker focuses the warp to alter and reverse the passage and effects of time itself on self or another to rejuvenate them by literally making them younger again. Unwilling targets must make an opposed WP save to avoid the effects.

Note: If the actual psyker is incapacitated or killed before the end of the manifestation timeframe then ALL images will instantly dissipate. Also; The duplicates have all the same skills and abilities ( including psy ) the Real psyker does ( EXCEPT the duplicate ability )