Custom Dice?

By LordBen, in Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game Beta

I haven't paid much attention since the beta was announced but does it still use custom dice? Someone said if it didn't go over well they might drop that and use normal dice so I figured I'd check it out now that 6 months have passed. Most of Google's results are months old so I couldn't find an answer on my own.

Still uses custom dice as far as any of us know after the final survey and update

Give another month or two and we should know what they plan to do (whether its printing the full book or starting again from scratch).

Have patience...and if your bored: chop wood and carry water.

The indications from post-playtest interviews are that there will be no major changes.

I'd be surprised if they changed it. Whilst some of the details can use a bit of tweaking, the basics - ring, skill, TN, approach, and the custom dice, work very nicely in the games we've played.

Plus; looking at FFG's track record, always expect a game they produce to use customised dice.

18 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I'd be surprised if they changed it. Whilst some of the details can use a bit of tweaking, the basics - ring, skill, TN, approach, and the custom dice, work very nicely in the games we've played.

Plus; looking at FFG's track record, always expect a game they produce to use customised dice.

Let's look

These do:

• WFRP 3 [OOP] (custom dice type A)
  • FFG Star Wars
    • Star Wars: Edge of the Empire (Custom dice type B1)
    • Star Wars: Force and Destiny (Custom dice type B1)
    • Star Wars: Age of Rebellion (Custom dice type B1)
  • Genesys (Custom dice type B2)
  • Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game: (Custom dice type C)
  • The End of the World Roleplaying Line (d6 dice pools)

These don't.

• Dawnforge (d20 system)
  • Dragonstar (d20 system)
  • Fireborn (d6's only)
  • Grimm (d6's)
  • Midnight Second Edition (d20 system)
  • Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game (d6 dicepools)
  • The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen (coin pools; pay.)
  • the OOP 40K line:
    • Dark Heresy (d10s & d100s)
    • Only War (d10's & d100s)
    • Rogue Trader (d10's & d100s)
    • Black Crusade (d10's & d100s)
    • Deathwatch (d10's & d100s)

Oh, and the long OOP Twilight Imperium used d6s, d10's, & d100s.

It seems to be somewhat random...

... tho' "big name games" tend to be more likely to get custom dice. Experimentals don't.

And yes, I know I've listed several which are no longer available. WFRP, TI, and 40K are no longer on the list of RPGs on the list at https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/#/category/roleplaying-games