General app musings

By totalnoob, in Legends of the Alliance

Just finished the first non tutorial mission, and it was a blast.

It was REALLY tough for us though as the Emporer spawned in at one point and all his extra attacks were pretty tough for us to navigate. He also spawned in when the other baddy from the mission came in, so having them on the board at the same time was difficult. We also were left with MHD19 and Fenn having their starter weapons which seemed to be laughably bad in terms of efficiently dealing damage.

We screwed up the “encounter” prior to the mission so we didn’t have an ally available which would have really helped.

The app REALLY needs an Undo button. I defeated an officer, and accidentally defeated something else which ended the mission :(

There were some rules things which seemed confusing. I’ll try to put in spoilers

So the beginning the freed crew members are objects, not rebel figures. If rebel heroes are within one space then the freed crew are protected from attack. Do these figures block line of sight? Also later in the mission it says that empire figures will target the freed crew members directly. Does that mean that the previous rule about rebel heroes protecting them does not apply anymore? We played it so that the heroes DID continue to protect them.

I agree it would be nice if the figures were a little less random and more thematic, but that plus and undo seem like low hanging fruit to fix.

Overall it was a lot of fun, it was the first time seeing Emporer in Campaign (I don’t have HoTE) and he was a menace!

Tokens are only figures when they are explicitly said to be figures, otherwise they are objects. Objects do not block line of sight.

Protecting should not work anymore after they "are targeted directly". (It's worded a little badly.)

Ok, thanks - well we lost anyway so in the end it didn’t matter. :)

I think one thing that would have clarified it was tapping on the freed object - the pop up text should be modified to update with this new mission condition/rule. Then it would have been obvious what to do. We originally were going to play it as you described, but when we tapped on the token it still had the previous text so we felt like it still applied.

thanks!

One thing to remember is that this is actually the 2nd mission. If you start the campaign without the tutorial that is.

Does anyone know if they are going to add the campaigns from the Base sets and Boxed expansions?

51 minutes ago, Alphaborn said:

Does anyone know if they are going to add the campaigns from the Base sets and Boxed expansions?

I doubt it. The app is a new/additional way to play IA. Skirmish and the 5 player Campaign modes, I believe, will stay as they are. The app provides a coop/solo mode that I feel will bring new campaigns designed specifically for that play style.

It would take more work adapting existing missions to the app than creating new content. So, which would you prefer?

4 hours ago, a1bert said:

It would take more work adapting existing missions to the app than creating new content. So, which would you prefer?

Both?

21 minutes ago, Majushi said:

Both?

Both would mean less resources could be spent to create new, never before seen, content for the app. I'd much rather have more brand new campaigns for the solo experience than for them to adapt the old classic campaigns which we may have already played through.

Just think of it as three different modes of play:

1. Skirmish has maps and objectives that only work for that mode.

2. The Classic Campaign has its maps and missions that were designed best for that mode (1 vs all).

3. The LotA App should have new maps, missions and campaigns that are specially designed for the solo/coop experience.

Having played a couple missions I also like the fact that they kind of optimize the experience around the app. So missions flow where the board is to be built out to simulate hidden areas and information like in the normal campaign. I also kind of enjoyed the "Kings Quest" (I'm totally dating myself with this reference :) ) feeling that some of the choices I had to make as a player. Things like "Ask about X Y Z" or "Be hostile" or "Buy a drink". I don't know - I kind of enjoyed that. I think trying to retrofit those types of experiences into the existing campaign would be more effort than it is worth.

Lastly, if it was the same campaign, that would be a bit worse for me since I am normally an IP. This app is the only way I get to come over to the Rebellion. :) But I am not at an advantage having been an IP before, because the content is all new/different.

I hope we continue to get all three types of content moving forward. Again, this game is a good value when you consider all the different potential avenues for enjoyment.

37 minutes ago, totalnoob said:

I also kind of enjoyed the "Kings Quest" (I'm totally dating myself with this reference :) ) feeling that some of the choices I had to make as a player. Things like "Ask about X Y Z" or "Be hostile" or "Buy a drink". I don't know - I kind of enjoyed that.

We could definitely use more Kings Quest in the app.

12 hours ago, dwaynedauzat said:

We could definitely use more Kings Quest in the app.

I don't know... I feel like it could take a long time for most players to figure out that they need to throw the boot at the stormtrooper.