Cloud the Mind, Yokuni

By Matrim, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

If a character has cloud the mind played on it then can Yokuni copy the ability? If treated as blank then is he copying blank?

In our group, we used to play it that Yes, you can copy a character’s Action if they are Clouded.

However, I don’t remember how it’s played online at the two sites I play on. ?‍♀️

Yokuni can gain abilities from CtM’ed characters, as per a developer ruling by Nate French. ( Found here )

thanks both..

That would seem to contradict the rule book. Worth checking with your event judge.

1 hour ago, Darksyde said:

That would seem to contradict the rule book. Worth checking with your event judge.

Which section do you believe is being contradicted?

Page 3 of the rule book under blank treats the card as if it has no printed text. If we are effecting said card as if it had no printed text, then there is no printed text to copy. While 'printed' does refer to the text on the actual card, as stated, in this case we are instructed to treat it as if it were blank.

"The word printed refers to the text, characteristic, icon, or value that is physically printed on the card." Nothing can change that. What blanking means is that any effect that looks for the text of a blanked card does not find its printed text.

13 hours ago, Darksyde said:

As it is a developer ruling should override an event judges ruling. The logic was while the card is treated as blank for the purposes of activating its own abilities the ability is still physically present on the card for other cards to interact with. It is also the logic for why Yokuni can't copy an ability gained from another card ability (like Duelist Training) which grants the ability to the attached card but is not technically printed on them so can't be copied.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37123-togashi-yokuni-cloud-the-mind/

I am aware of that post but I also know that some places do not consider that web site official so was just reminding, if in doubt, check with your event judge.

40 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

It is also the logic for why Yokuni can't copy an ability gained from another card ability (like Duelist Training  ) which grants the ability to the attached card but is not technically printed on them so can't be copied.

Not that it matters a lick but if duelist training read 'treat the following action as though it were printed on the character' then he could copy it as the rules appear to be written. Same as blank means he can't. shrug. I'm not a judge, and I'm not 'official' but that is what I get from the rules. Not trying to argue and I'd respect the ruling either way at an event.