Store championship list

By jhntdms88, in Runewars List Building

I have a store championship coming up and I'm trying to finalize my list.

right now I'm looking to run:

• Reanimate archers 2x1 [18] (unit total 29)
    • Rank Discipline [4]
    • Fire Rune [7]
  • Ardus Ix'Erebus [37] (unit total 46)
    • The Duskblade [8]
    • Ardus Fury [1]
  • Ankaur Maro [40] (unit total 51)
    • Fortuna's dice [6]
    • Regenerative magic [5]
  • Death Knights 2x1 [24] (unit total 33)
    • Obcasium's Gauntlet [5]
    • rank discipline [4]
  • Death Knights 2x1 [24] (unit total 33)
    • Reaping blade [4]
    • Moment of Inspiration

total points is 192

I have the core box, the Ankaur Maro expansion, a carrion crawler expansion, the 2 death knight expansions and the infantry command expansion. I would appreciate if suggestions only took units or upgrades from what I own as I don't have the time to add new resources before the tournament.

First off, I have to say that I chafe at the idea that there is "one good way" to run a unit. So take my suggestions with a grain of salt, but do know that lots of people have spent time with these models and upgrades on the table, and will probably agree with the following suggestions.

TLDR: Drop The Duskblade from Ardus Ix'Erebus, change Ankaur Maro's Regenerative Magic into Violent Forces, add a single tray Carrion Lancer. Your Death Knights will put in a lot of work, but the Carrion Lancer can a) block for your Reanimate Archers, or b) pick up objective tokens and run for the hills.

I think I see what you are going for with the heroes. Ardus' Fury gives Ardus Ix'Erebus a surge, which can be added to the one on his dial to guarantee -1 defense for the defender of his attack with The Duskblade. The problem is that you have to hope you roll really well with your dice, because you're not dialing in the hit modifier. Alternatively, you dial in the hit and hope that you can roll another surge on the dice.

Meanwhile, Ankaur Maro is standing by so that Ardus can spend a surge to heal a damage because Regenerative Magic reduces the cost of healing from 2 surges, down to 1. Ankaur also has Fortuna's Dice so that when he does his ranged attack, he can be sure to heal himself from the wounds he has gained from adding trays, but the only thing he can add to is the Reanimate Archers, and you have only 2 trays in your collection. I think Violent Forces will work better for Ankaur Maro in this army. Besides, Ardus can still dial in the surge and heal one wound, which isn't as good as healing 2 wounds, but it's better than a stick in the eye.

And as for Ardus' Duskblade, between healing with Ankaur's ability and dealing blight with the Reanimate Archers' ability, I think he has plenty of surge abilities to draw from. Plus, he could use the Carrion Lancer's ability to deal a mortal strike for every surge he rolls if the defender has a blight token (another good reason to add the Carrion Lancer). Of course, all of this hinges on these units being at range 1-3 of Ardus, which is incredibly difficult to pull off. BUT, I have never tried The Duskblade because I feel it is too expensive, so it's really a meta call. Bringing Oathsworn Cavalry down to defense 1 is awesome because every hit removes a tray (Brutal 1). I guess it's largely a meta call.

Lastly, the Reanimate Archers. Usually the 2x1 just takes Combat Ingenuity, but since you don't have it, Rank Discipline is a good call. Stacking Fire Rune isn't a bad idea either, since you have that reroll anyway. So on turns when there are no Unstable runes, you just dial in your surge instead of your skill modifier. It's definitely out-of-the-box thinking, but it looks like it's worth a solid shot.

Edited by Parakitor

I've only played a few games, but don't Waiqar need to have at least one "meaty" unit on the field to take a charge? Each one of the units in the list could be killed off before they even can retaliate if charged. I mean 8-12 damage in one attack is not exactly unheard of ;) (I'm looking at you MOI Oathsworn and Golem spearstar and Thresher berserkerstar). Getting Ardus or Ankaur killed turn 2 is not unlikely as they are not protected, and that is not good.

As I said I'm not that experienced, but I just can't see Waiqar pull of having 2 heroes. I would exchange one with a 2x2 Lancer or a Reanimate tarpit.

Edit:

I realize now that you are one Lancer short for the 2x2, which disqualifies my rant, but maybe you can borrow one? Otherwise I would also go with @Parakitor

Edited by Maktorius
3 hours ago, Maktorius said:

I've only played a few games, but don't Waiqar need to have at least one "meaty" unit on the field to take a charge?

Not strictly, but lists without one are definitely risky.

I don't know if I'd run Maro and Ardus at the same time as individual models, maybe with one as a figure upgrade.

I've won some games running but heroes, which is more than I can say for some other archetypes. But I did have some Daqan help through Hidden Lore of the Shadow Council. It is tough to get the approach. You'll want a Carrion Lancer as speed bump against cavalry, and do as much damage with Ankaur Maro and the Reanimate Archers before it arrives. If you're really good, you can get Ardus to charge the cavalry's flank while it's tied up, but then your whole army is focused on a single unit, and their ranged units will start inflicting pain.

The hardest part is getting your heroes involved early, but not throwing their lives away. My last 10 games or so, I've been conservative with their approach, and they haven't earned their points.

Not really getting the most out of Maro in this list. I would drop him as a solo and add him to a Reanimate unit. Also I have had good luck with running Death Knights as 2x2 compared to 2x1

Great suggestions folks, but it doesn't look like @jhntdms88 has the trays of Reanimates necessary to have a block of regenerating Maro, nor does he have the archers to add on even if he did have enough Reanimates.

I totally get it, because I was in the same boat the first couple months after Ankaur Maro came out. The only way I could get to 200 was by including both heroes. While it's not optimal, if you play wisely to the objectives, you do stand a chance. It's better than running a 150 point army.