Uthuk - Bannerscamp and Rage Spine Experiences

By Church14, in Runewars Tactics

I’m looking at a list built around only two core sets and two infantry commands for Uthuk. In a nutshell, I have 23 points left and only two more trays of infantry left for models. I had been trying Bannerscamp and it seems okay, but not exciting. Has anyone been trying to run Rage Spine in their armies and how has it been doing?

I have not tried Rage Spine. My concern is that the 2x1 you're going to put it on will die before they can use it. I'm excited to hear how it goes for you.

Edited by Budgernaut

Bannerscamp has be an interesting piece if you are going a full moral attack. It can provide some consistency if you have a high severity test and whiff, as well as keeping some panic spread around if your opponent tries to rally off tokens. Highlights for me include giving out 5 tokens after a not so nice draw of moral cards .

I have not run rage spine yet (maybe once the expansions drop and there are more models to build lists with). Given that card only works with 1 moral symbol cards, it looks like you would just be doubling the amount of banes a unit would receive. I am not sure how valuable that would be, especially since you will probably have to expose the trays to ranged fire (FFG pls print a moral card that gives blight :D ).

Also what Budgernaut said. :)

Wait, hang on. Bannerscamp can trigger AFTER seeing the draw from the morale test? Like I draw 3, don’t see anything good, trigger Bannerscamp, and put the three panic tokens on the unit in question? If that is how it works and I’ve been misreading it, holy crap is that good. We’ve been treating it as having to be decided before drawing cards.

Also, I have considered Terrifying Heraldry, Rage Spine, and Bannerscamp for this last 2 tray. I don’t want the two tray as I have a 6 tray Berserkers in the list already and I would rather combine them into a 9 tray. I just don’t have the last tray of berserkers needed of an extra Spine Thresher for the frontline upgrade. The only other local Uthuk player will need all of his stuff as well.

Bannerscamp triggers when the unit would suffer a morale test, so if you've already drawn the cards, you can't choose to give panic tokens instead. Suffering a morale test includes drawing morale cards equal to the severity of the test. Bannerscamp would have needed to say, "when a unit would suffer the effects of a morale card ..." in order for you to use it after drawing cards. You've been playing it right, Church.

I like Bannerscamp, but I'm not devoted to it. My favorite part of the effect is that anyone who rallies within range 1-5 receives a panic token after they rally. I am particularly fond of this effect when running multiple 1-tray Spined Threshers because it helps keep their reroll in place. The other effect has only triggered about three times out of four games where I used Bannerscamp. It's a neat effect, but not a game changer. I like using that effect to set up for Psychosis Siren when Fear Incarnate-Ravos is nearby. It helps you get those three-icon morale cards which now deal three damage in addition to their powerful effects.

Another great use for Bannerscamp is to combine it with Cacophony Reaver. If your top card has three morale icons, you can choose not to trigger a morale test. This is good in case you a) don't have enough panic/morale results to activate that card, or b) you want to save that card on top to keep Lethal 3 on your unit with Cacophony Reaver.

Oops, reading is hard

1 hour ago, Budgernaut said:

Bannerscamp triggers when the unit would suffer a morale test, so if you've already drawn the cards, you can't choose to give panic tokens instead. Suffering a morale test includes drawing morale cards equal to the severity of the test. Bannerscamp would have needed to say, "when a unit would suffer the effects of a morale card ..." in order for you to use it after drawing cards. You've been playing it right, Church.

I like Bannerscamp, but I'm not devoted to it. My favorite part of the effect is that anyone who rallies within range 1-5 receives a panic token after they rally. I am particularly fond of this effect when running multiple 1-tray Spined Threshers because it helps keep their reroll in place. The other effect has only triggered about three times out of four games where I used Bannerscamp. It's a neat effect, but not a game changer. I like using that effect to set up for Psychosis Siren when Fear Incarnate-Ravos is nearby. It helps you get those three-icon morale cards which now deal three damage in addition to their powerful effects.

Another great use for Bannerscamp is to combine it with Cacophony Reaver. If your top card has three morale icons, you can choose not to trigger a morale test. This is good in case you a) don't have enough panic/morale results to activate that card, or b) you want to save that card on top to keep Lethal 3 on your unit with Cacophony Reaver.

I found the first text effect useful when I either roll no morale results or when facing archers. Being able to save the morale modifier on a Flesh Ripper attack for a worse effect later is handy. Being able to keep the faceup (from Cacaphony) Betrayal until I know I can make use of it has paid off a few times.

Bannerscamp has served me well when I've faced Daqan builds. It falls down a bit when inspiration tokens are spent since that's not a rally action.

For the spined threshers it's essential to have that reroll. That's really essential. Did I mention how essential that is? While the threshers do hand out a panic token for those that don't have one, that happens at the end of activation which is less than useful since it's after a melee attack.

Edited by tgall
1 hour ago, tgall said:

Bannerscamp has served me well when I've faced Daqan builds. It falls down a bit when inspiration tokens are spent since that's not a rally action.

For the spined threshers it's essential to have that reroll. That's really essential. While the threshers do hand out a panic token for those that don't have one, that happens at the end of activation which is less than useful since it's after a melee attack.

True, but in an ideal world you will put a panic token on the target during your approach and then put another one on after spending it each turn. This gets you consistent rerolls and morale tests. Problem is, we don't live in an ideal world, so when your enemy wants to rally away that panic token, Bannerscamp becomes really nice, as you said.

My point is just that I don't typically find the timing of the Spined Threshers' ability to be problematic in most games, but Bannerscamp is an easy way to block one of the soft counters to Spined Threshers - rally actions.

On 2/16/2018 at 2:40 PM, Budgernaut said:

True, but in an ideal world you will put a panic token on the target during your approach and then put another one on after spending it each turn. This gets you consistent rerolls and morale tests. Problem is, we don't live in an ideal world, so when your enemy wants to rally away that panic token, Bannerscamp becomes really nice, as you said.

My point is just that I don't typically find the timing of the Spined Threshers' ability to be problematic in most games, but Bannerscamp is an easy way to block one of the soft counters to Spined Threshers - rally actions.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the bannerscamps and have some builds I want to try when I have more models. One in particular is just “I dare you to rally.” Add 6-7 points how you see fit

193/200
Berserkers [16] 2x1
Bannerscamp [4]
Total Unit Cost: 20

Berserkers [16] 2x1
Bannerscamp [4]
Total Unit Cost: 20

Berserkers [27] 2x2
Psychosis Siren [7]
Bannerscamp [4]
Total Unit Cost: 38

Ravos the Everhungry [40] 1x1