Dealing with loot - new GM

By Frostweasel, in Game Masters

19 hours ago, Buddha Fett said:

That could be really useful and time consuming. Would be interested in using it if you care to share it here?

Yeah I can do that. I just need to put in on dropbox. I'll do that later tonight

This isn't DnD, if a nemesis has something cool expect your players to take it, you can always make sure your pcs are paid well enough that looting isn't an issue. Crafting can produce gear that is better than anything off the shelf but it takes a HUGE investment to make crafting uber, so for the most point t the uber crafted gear is a story point , you have to go out of your way to let them have it. That said if the PCs languish a very large number of adversaries you can expect the t oppl have an armory on the ship at which point you stop tracking standard weapons like blaster pistols and rifles and reloads, which isn't a bad thing letting them sell the loot from fallen engines for half value is where the problem lies.

Yeah it's about how you want your campaign to go. If you make it about loot it will be. Given a table with a GM and say 4 players, you can usually expect that at least one player will be there for the loot and/or the mechanical character building.

I like having loot and getting into the Game portion of the experience, but I also don't like the game to be about "stuff" vs. what is happening. Each game session is finite, and the use of time should be something to watch. The freedom of interface in TTRPGs allows you to stop and loot or stop and collect, but sometimes cinematic feel can be bludgeoned by the mechanics taking over for any sense of what the characters are experiencing.

Jan Di Rana is killed by a Black Sun Vigo with a vibro sword before dying himself from a blaster bolt. It is a climactic moment of the campaign, and Jan's fellow players pay reverence by immediately grabbing the Black Sun leader's loose change, his rings and jewelry, and his vibro sword complete with their friend's blood on it.

For sure, anyone thinking about using a Loot Table, be careful to not overuse it and it can and will upset the balance of your game if used to often.

My players will occasionally swap weapons for slightly better weapons dropped by NPCs. Other than that, it's outside the spirit of the game. Under Obligations, the Edge CRB loosely states that the PCs aren't going to make much, if any, money selling individual weapons but crates of weapons make for a good story.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, Buddha Fett said:

For sure, anyone thinking about using a Loot Table, be careful to not overuse it and it can and will upset the balance of your game if used to often.

I agree, and feel I need to put in the old adage

The GM giveth, and the GM taketh away...

If something enters the game that is really messing up the works, you may have to either counter the item/wealth or simply take it away. By messing up the works, I mean players not being challenged by the kind of obstacles you are wanting to use, and thus no tension because they can breeze through things. Very often you can outmaneuver them, but you don't want the game to take on an adversarial nature (you vs. the Players) so you may just have to remove the offending Loot. If you have players who see the game as a more-Imagination-Centered Board/Strategy Game they will be unhappy. But if you have players who see this as more of an experience than a game then they will understand that is simply the ebb and flow of fortune.

So step one is to try and get to know what type of players you have. No one likes misfortune, but players who are more story-oriented will recognize that there are ups and downs. The other kind will have a tantrum, so if you can't handle that then you may have to live with the power overflow you have accidentally created until the dice solve the problem for you.

On 2/14/2018 at 1:51 PM, Mark Caliber said:

Also remember the encumbrance rules if you think that the PC's are carrying too many guns.

It can't be said often enough but Encumbrance is part of the balancing system in this system, it's okay to let PCs occasionally fudge it but do not ignore it! It's not as finicky as people make it out to be, especially if you use Oggdude's tool, and I generally leave it up to the Player's to make keep an eye don't so I don't have to and only ask if I see something outlandish.