Column Tactics and Maru

By Hepitude, in Runewars Tactics

Has anyone tried something like Reanimate Archers with Column Tactics? It seems like a great way to get up to four threat cheaply as Maru is adding back ranks.

Similar question, is sacrificing the skill slot on 2x3 Oathsworn by giving them column tactics worth not having to put Hawthorne in your army?

One benefit to CT I like is when you get down to 2x2 and only have partial rank in back you can get full rerolls. You lose 3 threat sooner but don't need Hawthorne.

It's an interesting idea, but you lose Combat Ingenuity. Still, if you're going for 4 threat, I suppose blight isn't the goal. I've never considered this before.

Column tactics is melee only, so you can't use it with the archers.

As for cavalry, do you have something you would prefer to put on them? Column tactics is only valuable until you've lost 2 trays (at least in the 2x3 configuration).

Edited by Xelto

You can use CT when you only have a partial ranks after you have lost 3 trays on your 2x3 cav to provide 2 threat and full rerolls. Lose the 3 threat after 2 trays are gone, but that full reroll especially with 3 dice may come in handy.

I've been really liking Forged in Battle on Oathsworn when I take them 3x2 with Hawthorne. I'm mostly using them to protect Crossbowmen, so they tend not to engage until mid-game anyhow, and then Forged in Battle keeps them relevant as they take casualties. Could definitely do the same in this config, though they'd probably never hit Threat 4.

Narrower frontage too, so more room for crossbows.