New Player

By sack98, in General Discussion

Hello, I am wanting to get in the game and start playing for fun and eventually get competitive and I was wondering where to start to get into the game.

Thanks

The best way is probably to get in touch with someone nearby that has the game. Where are you located?

There is also a big Facebook group that is the main gathering of players, so you could join that and try to find people to play with.

Otherwise, pick up a core set and try some of the starter decks. Then if you like it, get 2 more core sets and try building a deck or two.

1 hour ago, Teamjimby said:

The best way is probably to get in touch with someone nearby that has the game. Where are you located?

There is also a big Facebook group that is the main gathering of players, so you could join that and try to find people to play with.

Otherwise, pick up a core set and try some of the starter decks. Then if you like it, get 2 more core sets and try building a deck or two.

I'm in Houston and I will look into that Facebook group. Also do I only need core sets what are the expansions for?

17 hours ago, sack98 said:

I'm in Houston and I will look into that Facebook group. Also do I only need core sets what are the expansions for?

Ok, cool. The main guy in the Houston area is Dustan Archer. Find him on Facebook and he can connect you with other players.

If you want to be competitive and play at tournaments, you will need to buy all of the expansions. I was just suggesting that you start with the core sets to make sure you like the game. If you already know that you like it and you want to be competitive, you should buy a complete set from someone else that is quitting the game. There are always people coming and going and selling their collections. You should be able to get it for less than 50% of MSRP.

18 minutes ago, Teamjimby said:

Ok, cool. The main guy in the Houston area is Dustan Archer. Find him on Facebook and he can connect you with other players.

If you want to be competitive and play at tournaments, you will need to buy all of the expansions. I was just suggesting that you start with the core sets to make sure you like the game. If you already know that you like it and you want to be competitive, you should buy a complete set from someone else that is quitting the game. There are always people coming and going and selling their collections. You should be able to get it for less than 50% of MSRP.

I will definitely get in touch. Also, what about the world champion decks. Would these be a good starting point?

1 hour ago, sack98 said:

I will definitely get in touch. Also, what about the world champion decks. Would these be a good starting point?

That's one option. Have you played the game yet? Do you own anything yet? If not, you should get in touch with Dustan and let him make some decks and walk you through some practice games.