Few questions-after first game.

By Muk2, in Doom

I think I've checked all the QA topics on this forum and hasn't found answers for the following:

1) Do Marines have to autopick an item? I.E. I had a plan to throw a marine on the ammo with one of the monsters skills, and hoped that I'll be able to use the It's a trap card. Sensing that, the marine rejected to pick up the ammo. Can it be done? (the same when 2 marines try to move through a corridor with an item, but the second one wants to pick it up)

2) If Invader throws a marine next to a Deamon, can he use the watchfull skill to atack the marine several times or only on the final position or he cannot use its skill at all?

There's no edit button? Sorry for a double post.

3) What can you do before the marines activate their guard.

I've noticed that most agree that you cannot use a panic card.

But what about Darkness?

ad 1)

Rulebook p. 9

• During his turn, a marine may automatically pick up an equipment
token in the space he is occupying (it does not cost him any
movement points to do so).

It only says that he MAY not must. So I would say that picking up an item is up to the marine decision.

ad 2)

FAQ

WATCHFUL VS. KNOCKBACK
When a figure is moved past a figure with Watchful by means
of Knockback, the Watchful figure only gets a “free” attack
for the final space that the Knockbacked figure ends up in.
The figure doesn’t actually pass through the first 2 spaces
when hit with Knockback.

As you asked about marine thrwon by the Invader I think that this is an answer to your question

ad 3)

Rulebook p. 10

At any point during the invader player’s turn, a
marine may discard his guard order to immediately
interrupt the invader player’s turn and make one attack.

Any time, I think that very begining of the invader turn is still any time.

Correct on all three counts. Some players are a little stricter on when Guard can interrupt, specifically for Panic. If the Invader says, "I'm going to play a card, any interrupts?" then reveals Panic, some players think it's too late to interrupt and use the Guard before removed by Panic. I don't. This game is pretty tough on the marine players as it is and I prefer to let the marines say AT ANY TIME, "Wait, I want to use my Guard first." This would include Panic and Darkness (i.e. the attack can be made before the lights go out limiting LOS).

-shnar

shnar said:

Correct on all three counts. Some players are a little stricter on when Guard can interrupt, specifically for Panic. If the Invader says, "I'm going to play a card, any interrupts?" then reveals Panic, some players think it's too late to interrupt and use the Guard before removed by Panic. I don't. This game is pretty tough on the marine players as it is and I prefer to let the marines say AT ANY TIME, "Wait, I want to use my Guard first." This would include Panic and Darkness (i.e. the attack can be made before the lights go out limiting LOS).

-shnar

I would be inclined to agree. The lesson for the Invader is to play these cards before moving any important figures into the line of fire. If they're already in the line of fire... well you can always hope that he'll forget ;)

Most figures shouldn't be treated as important, of course. Invaders are expendable; let them die and spawn more later.

Thanks for the replies.

Should have read the instructions after the game since in the heat of battle I couldn't find those answers.