Alternate Game Variant and Strategy Guide

By flipperoverlord, in Twilight Imperium

So I've been playing Twilight Imperium since back in the third edition days, and our play group(s) have incorporated a set of rule changes to help create (in our opinion) a better game. These have been honed from the testing of many sessions and have been incorporated fully into fourth edition. I don't really care if other people like or have a desire to play with this variant, but I figured that some groups may like it, so I decided to share it with the community. Let me give some context for the rules changes. Note, that many of these rule variations require components from third edition and elsewhere, unless you can get creative. :)

First of all, exploration is easily the weakest part of this 4X game, so we have completely revamped the Distant Suns rules from third edition an transferred them to fourth. The main issue with the domain counters originally is that they are way too random, and if a player gets mostly positive domain counters and another player gets mostly bad ones, the game gets really unfair. So to remedy this, domain counters are paired up: one bad counter and one positive one, so whenever a player encounters domain counters, they get a very balanced result. This gives each planet a completely unique identity, and makes the early expansion of the game more interesting. Some harmful counters can punish ill-equipped players, but it is not hard to plan ahead to be ready for them. We also completely redesigned the effects of each domain counter to achieve better balance.

We generally dislike multiplayer games that can create "king-making" scenarios, and the core rules of TI really invite that sort of behavior. Also, players that start to fall behind in TI4 may start to lose interest and want to quit, but cannot because leaving the game would "ruin it for everyone else." Therefore, we completely redesigned how one wins a game of TI. It is based around secret rivals and allies that can result in multiple winners, and is changed from reaching a certain point level to playing a set number of rounds (and looking at the total points of each player after the required rounds have passed). Each player (for the most part) has an opponent that they want to outscore, and each player has a secret ally at the table who has real victory point incentives to help their ally should they get into trouble. Players always have a chance to win the game, though, as if a player ends the game without their home system, they are considered to have 0 victory points, so attacking a player's home system is always an option. Lastly, should a player start to get pummeled, they can use "Mutually Assured Destruction" to even the playing field. Taking all of these rules into account creates a vibrant game-play experience that really feels like being a part of a larger galactic community. Players that fall behind always have a chance , however small, to win the game, which keeps everyone involved right up to the final round or two. It is also exceptionally rare for a player to be "effectively eliminated" with these alternate rules (although it is always still possible), at least before the final round or two of play. I recommend that before you edit or tweak any of these alternate rules that you play with them first, so you can experience how all of the various systems interact together.

The Agenda Phase has also been completely revamped, and now players vote simultaneously, which is a MUCH better system than the normal rules, which often results telegraphed results after the first two players have voted.

There are also numerous smaller changes to the game such as individual card errata and even the inclusion of space mines.

PROS:
-excellent domain counter exploration
-feels like a true vibrant, political galactic community (this is hard to explain, until you play it)
-no "king-making"
-players almost always have a chance to win (even if its a small chance), so lower scoring players are much less likely to lose interest.
-artifacts create contestable zones to encourage more militaristic interaction other than on Mecatol Rex.
-Agenda Phase is much more vibrant and interesting, resulting in many more negotiations, banter, and deal-making
-Easier on newer players (in terms of having a chance to win) as well as being even more rigorous an engaging for veteran players.
-custom galaxies are always wholly unique and there is a lot of strategy in creating the custom galaxy

CONS:
-while some may consider this a pro, games go much longer, taking up a full day or even two if players are slow.
-lots of new rules! It be a bit much to wrap one's head around the new system.
-requires components from outside of the game.
-requires a longer set up time

I'm sure that I have some typos or things that are not completely clear, as our group knows the rules, so it is easy to miss things when writing them down into instructions.

There is also in included strategy guide. This guide assumes that players are using our group's errata and rules changes.

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions after trying them (or if you notice any significant typos).

See the links below to see all of the necessary documents:

Errata (obviously any rules not changed are as they are in the core game):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1poPXB7avG-7qMBzDtskWpuYCQet8oF9n

Domain Counter Sheet:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BuPYZiTXKkUcmBlkXtf_5pLKvOFbQI3U

Coin Sheet:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i2VzWyZM8NgnaONedVSxMv2uaPPRM0p0

Rival and Support Cards (4, 5, and 6 player cards):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n8PTeg7FQgoqMOqjocONBp8Ic49b6E9H

Twilight Imperium 4 Strategy Guide:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Mpa4TEI8frQ_6oCxJN5Z5d7xQ76aX2Nt

Enjoy!

Edited by flipperoverlord

Well now since Hazzard Special and normal systems all have different backs you could try a house rule where all systems are placed face down and when you activate that system you can flip it over. You still follow the normal rules for placing a system. No Hazzard Special systems adjacent to each other and if you didn't put a normal system down the last turn you have to put one down this turn.

Edited by Marinealver
20 hours ago, Marinealver said:

Well now since Hazzard and normal systems all have different backs you could try a house rule where all systems are placed face down and when you activate that system you can flip it over. You still follow the normal rules for placing a system. No Hazzard systems adjacent to each other and if you didn't put a normal system down the last turn you have to put one down this turn.

Red backed systems are different than hazardous planets, but I think I get what you are saying in regards to exploration and discovery.

Just came across this, there are some fantastic ideas here and cant wait to implement them. I just have a few misunderstandings with the Errata Document.

1) When a player is placing an Artifact in a system containing planets, can they choose to place it on a/the planet or in the space around? And Im assuming that having ships enter that system results in you capturing that Artifact without needing to invade a planet.

2) (in the Errata Doc) When you say resolved/taken in "player order" during the Action phase, you mean the order of Strategy cards from lowest to highest right? By extension and "player order" you mention in the Agenda, Status and Strategy Phases are always resolved/taken in clockwise order from the speaker, correct?

3) Lastly, the Agenda Phase rules confuse me. Particularly with the relationship between Dice, Coin tokens and the actual influence available from the planets under each players control. And are the coins distributed to players or is there a common pool that everyone uses? If you could clear this up I would really appreciate it.

I love these new mechanics and am enthusiastic to try them, just need a little help wrapping my head around more rules.

- cheers :)