Playing Distant Suns with planet traits.

By Marinealver, in Twilight Imperium

So with the traits of planets splitting them into three different groups that is likely going to have a mechanic similar to distant suns but in using the planet traits. The idea is to separate the distant suns tokens into three different groups, culture, industrial, and of course hazardous. This is more than just putting all the red tokens in hazardous (although most of the red tokens will go there) but also there could be some red tokens on a cultural planet as well. when you land on a planet that has yet to be explored draw a token from a bag of the respective planet trait. Follow the token from Distant Suns in 3rd Ed.

Cultural

• Peaceful Annexation
  • Technological Society
  • Discovery
  • Native Intelligence
  • Settlers
  • Lazax Survivors
  • Uncharted Habatats

Industrial

• Industrial Society
  • Hostile Locals
  • Hidden Factory
  • Abandon Freighter
  • Automated Defense
  • Natural Wealth with Hostile Locals

Hostile

• Ship Graveyard
  • Alien Technology
  • Natural Wealth
  • Bio-hazard
  • Radiation
  • Fighter Ambush
  • Space Pirates
  • Wormhole
  • Gravity Rift

So that is my distant sun token to planet trait. Do you agree with this set up or do you think some tokens should go to the other set?

I might've let Alien Technology and Abandined Freighter switched places for thematic purposes but other than that I think it looks good.

On 1/30/2018 at 12:11 AM, Fnoffen said:

I might've let Alien Technology and Abandined Freighter switched places for thematic purposes but other than that I think it looks good.

Yeah I guess that could make more thematic sense. A desolate ghost ship around a known hostile planet, and an industrialized boom thanks to the use of a barely known alien artifact. Anything else that should be done? Do you think the ratio of green and red effects match the planet traits?

Ratio looks good to me. Maybe put 2 or 3 Peaceful Annexation in the Industrial pile though. And Wormholes should probably be evenly distributed. Otherwise you'd lessen the travelability to only Hazardous Planets.

Edited by Fnoffen
for elaboration

You are missing Hostage Situation. What are Uncharted Habitats, Natural Wealth with Hostile Locals, and Ship Graveyard? Is Abandoned Freighter supposed to be Abandoned Transport ?

I see you have mixed Distant Suns counters with Space Domain counters. While I guess this is OK generally, I would not use Gravity Rift as a Distant Suns counter. The possibility to turn someone's best system from a two planet system to a Gravity Rift tile is too punitive and crippling for a random effect.