Overgrowth combos

By namelessone81, in Runewars Tactics

So I ve been playing the Latari a lot these days and I haven’t tried almost at all the overgrown tech . Have you tried it and did you see good results ? The hunters guile combo etc .

All suggestions are welcome ;)

I was just thinking about this the other day. I would love to see what other people have been doing since I have found overgrowth to be very underwhelming as a mechanic so far. Hopefully that is rectified in the future but right now the limitations make it hard to justify some of the extra costs, plus you kind of need to go all in if you are going to try it. The sorceress and the banner from the command box are pretty both needed so you can get enough overgrowth thrown out there to get it reliably. Maybe I am being to negative, lol

29 minutes ago, Tarliyn said:

I was just thinking about this the other day. I would love to see what other people have been doing since I have found overgrowth to be very underwhelming as a mechanic so far. Hopefully that is rectified in the future but right now the limitations make it hard to justify some of the extra costs, plus you kind of need to go all in if you are going to try it. The sorceress and the banner from the command box are pretty both needed so you can get enough overgrowth thrown out there to get it reliably. Maybe I am being to negative, lol

No I think it’s underrated too :(

or I don’t see the whole picture ...

It probably will require additional units/upgrades to be more useful.

Just like how the Reanimates' Regenerate ability was pretty underwhelming until Lingering Dead was revealed.

3 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

Just like how the Reanimates' Regenerate ability was pretty underwhelming until Lingering Dead was revealed.

It's still pretty underwhelming.

Only slightly less so than Necromancer.

3 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

It's still pretty underwhelming.

Only slightly less so than Necromancer.

Heh, heh. I got some amazing use out of it yesterday. Battle reports to follow.

1 minute ago, Parakitor said:

Heh, heh. I got some amazing use out of it yesterday. Battle reports to follow.

Mind you, I'm not saying it can't be influential, but it is a complete gamble at the moment, and I hate blind gambles.

I've had it be huge, bringing back six models per turn for multiple rounds, but far more often I've had necromancer sit, unused and unusable until the unit died because right now Waiqar (the faction themed entirely around a dude obsessed with controlling the runes) is the only faction that is totally incapable of manipulating the runes, all while having a core unit mechanic based on them.

I agree that Overgrowth is pretty underwhelming...on paper the bonuses are pretty nice, but the reality is that to use them, you have to be standing right next to terrain the whole battle. Since most Latari units are designed to shift around a lot, you're rarely going to be next to the right piece of terrain when you need it.

10 minutes ago, Urvogel said:

I agree that Overgrowth is pretty underwhelming...on paper the bonuses are pretty nice, but the reality is that to use them, you have to be standing right next to terrain the whole battle. Since most Latari units are designed to shift around a lot, you're rarely going to be next to the right piece of terrain when you need it.

I agree. But I think that they put this tech for a reason that either it will be viable in future expansions or we haven’t figured it out yet ;)

I would like to point out how everyone find the Latari infantry command units which I find underwhelming also except the rallying starling .

Most of the infantry command seem to look forward to the Darnati, which might also have an upgrade or two that combos with overgrowth. I've played around with Storm Sorceress so far, which honestly seems to want Maegan plus small stacks. If you're going to do a lot of magic, then Malcorne's Bequest helps recast runes, and you're probably better off working to get exactly the runes you want when you need them. Still, it feels like a high variance upgrade. I could see a use for about half of them, depending upon what a list really wanted to do.

Verdant Sorceress gets you 2 overgrowth, and bane protection. Greenwatch gets the free overgrowth in the play area. At least one of those would seem to be necessary if you're looking to trigger upgrades that cue off of them. Rallying Starling certainly looks cool on a minor bane and upgrade readying. The Blackthorn Assassin could also be useful in knocking down a high threat enemy's dice. The rest either don't look useful at all, or seem very clearly to be waiting on the Darnati.

13 minutes ago, Vergilius said:

Most of the infantry command seem to look forward to the Darnati, which might also have an upgrade or two that combos with overgrowth. I've played around with Storm Sorceress so far, which honestly seems to want Maegan plus small stacks. If you're going to do a lot of magic, then Malcorne's Bequest helps recast runes, and you're probably better off working to get exactly the runes you want when you need them. Still, it feels like a high variance upgrade. I could see a use for about half of them, depending upon what a list really wanted to do.

Verdant Sorceress gets you 2 overgrowth, and bane protection. Greenwatch gets the free overgrowth in the play area. At least one of those would seem to be necessary if you're looking to trigger upgrades that cue off of them. Rallying Starling certainly looks cool on a minor bane and upgrade readying. The Blackthorn Assassin could also be useful in knocking down a high threat enemy's dice. The rest either don't look useful at all, or seem very clearly to be waiting on the Darnati.

Couldn’t agree more ! Let’s just hope that with the release of the Darnati those upgrades will flourish ;)

So far we have 2 mobile armies, elves who are the faster wide movement and Uthuk who are probably the fastest in your face movement. Overgrowth removes the elves key advantage by telegraphing your movement, and tying you to locations. As such, I rather dislike it. If you are sitting by terrain, you are not moving wide to outflank.

On Thursday, January 25, 2018 at 5:54 PM, Darthain said:

So far we have 2 mobile armies, elves who are the faster wide movement and Uthuk who are probably the fastest in your face movement. Overgrowth removes the elves key advantage by telegraphing your movement, and tying you to locations. As such, I rather dislike it. If you are sitting by terrain, you are not moving wide to outflank.

I think I agree with you. What I think the Latari needed was something similar to the Uthuk. They have abilities that exhaust for a strong effect, but can do another, lesser effect while exhausted, like the Psychosis Siren. Or they have the Bloodfire Witch who can exhaust to do her effect, or she can force her unit to suffer wounds to do a similar effect even if the card is exhausted. For the Latari, they need cards that grant an ability tied to overgrown terrain and another ability that isn't.

Support Aymhelin Scion is a perfect example of this. For your four points, you're getting a damage sponge in your back rank. That's cheaper than other heavy upgrades. But you also get a shift from being near overgrown terrain, which helps with mobility. Sure, after the shift you are unlikely to be close to the overgrown terrain, but that shift is not the main benefit of Support Aymhelin Scion, so using it once or twice is fine.

Edited by Budgernaut

I like that idea about the Support Aymhelin Scion. In that case, you really wouldn't need overgrowth to trigger much, but if it triggers in the right way at the right time, then you don't need the rest of the list built around that upgrade.

I think some of the overgrowth is deciding exactly how you are going to play your terrain. Large terrain has a bigger footprint around which you could build an overgrowth strategy. Some of the smaller terrain seems to want to have units congregating around it. If you can take a bid and go first, then placing two of your own pieces of terrain can help. This is especially true for overgrown defensive terrain, but even overgrown dangerous terrain can be useful if it provides cover for your flank.

The biggest benefit I get from Overgrown terrain is the boosted mobility from Support Scions. The face of a 6-tray Deepwood Archer unit is just too big to really benefit optimally from the surge-shifting shenanigans, so I find that it helps to be able to add on the Support Scions' shift to get them out of the way. If you plan your engagement so the threat to-charge happens near terrain, you can make use of that, and then the terrain acts as an additional obstacle that you're better at dodging and working around than your opponent. It takes practice to set up, but can be pretty effective.

On 1/28/2018 at 12:20 AM, kaffis said:

The biggest benefit I get from Overgrown terrain is the boosted mobility from Support Scions. The face of a 6-tray Deepwood Archer unit is just too big to really benefit optimally from the surge-shifting shenanigans, so I find that it helps to be able to add on the Support Scions' shift to get them out of the way. If you plan your engagement so the threat to-charge happens near terrain, you can make use of that, and then the terrain acts as an additional obstacle that you're better at dodging and working around than your opponent. It takes practice to set up, but can be pretty effective.

This! I have used it to devastating effect, making my opponent chase me around a rock, all the while slinging an average 6 damage into them.

An interesting side note is greenwatch herald isn't bound by the no stacking overgrowth. Heraldry is hard to make work with elves currently, but with darnati you could effectively have 3-4 overgrowth in a game.

2 hours ago, Jukey said:

This! I have used it to devastating effect, making my opponent chase me around a rock, all the while slinging an average 6 damage into them.

An interesting side note is greenwatch herald isn't bound by the no stacking overgrowth. Heraldry is hard to make work with elves currently, but with darnati you could effectively have 3-4 overgrowth in a game.

Keep in mind, Greenwatch Herald is unique -- only one per army. So AFAICT, we're still maxing out at 3 per army with both a Verdant Sorceress (the only source of Overgrowth 2) and a Greenwatch Herald, two of which go on terrain, and then the Herald's can go in range of its deployment.

Oh, never noticed, haha good catch

Take small or exposed terrain, you will always be able to place at least one piece by your deployment area. You can also use that banner upgrade that gives you one overgrowth token anywhere (even out of terrain). Archers can make good use of it - they won't be repositioning far anyway, especially if you run one big block.