UTHUK vs Deepwood Archers/fire rune

By Tarliyn, in Runewars Tactics

So the combo is known but wanted to throw out that deepwood archers w/ firerune and close quarters targetting have proven to be very effective against uthuk. With their low armor this can shred uthuk units. I have been using a couple 2x2 units and with all the rerolls you can pump out some good damage. You just have to keep them away from the infantry and Ravos. Even Ravos folds to a couple rounds of shooting from a single unit though.

On the one hand, it makes me hesitant to bring Bloodfire Witch because she would just hasten her own destruction, but on the other hand, I suppose she could be a good counter by shutting down red runes.

12 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

On the one hand, it makes me hesitant to bring Bloodfire Witch because she would just hasten her own destruction, but on the other hand, I suppose she could be a good counter by shutting down red runes.

Throwing blue dice makes accuracy come pretty easy. But you could probably shut down atleast a turn of fire rune which would buy you enough time to get into combat.

I just wish the fire rune fired often enough for me. That blue die isn't my friend.

I like this combo and run it often, but the problem is that having red runes up means faster uthuk, and less turns with living archers.

On 7/15/2018 at 2:04 AM, Fritz66 said:

I just wish the fire rune fired often enough for me. That blue die isn't my friend.

Fire Rune is a red die, and counts as an attack, so you can re-roll it with Precise (and ranks, if you want to dump more points into making it a bigger unit).

Are you thinking of Storm Sorceress? That one has always been harsh to me.

I’ve run multiple archers with runes, with Maegan and Malcorne’s Bequest, to good effect.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:50 PM, kaffis said:

Fire Rune is a red die, and counts as an attack, so you can re-roll it with Precise (and ranks, if you want to dump more points into making it a bigger unit).

Yes, sorry -- that's the one I was thinking of.

This fire rune attack is a favorite tactic of one of my buddies that frequently plays as Latari. It is an irritating build to combat. He's recently added "Lay of the Land" to it which allows him to shift around on the field more effectively to position his units for attacks or get them out of danger.

On 8/13/2018 at 2:50 PM, kaffis said:

Scion is 14 points. Get some.

1)If there is only one unit in Storm Sorceress range, does it receive both attacks?

2) I find fire rune exceptionally efficient in destroying those 2 tray archers fire rune units - as it always fires first :)

Edited by Skaflok
more information