Rogue Trader in the time of the Dark Imperium?

By Bheader, in Rogue Trader

So with the fall of Cadia the Great Rift now separates much of the north of the Milky way galaxy from the Southern chunk that contains Terra.

What impact do you think this would have on the Koronus and Calixis sectors?

I'm imagining much disruption to the Astronomicon throughout with the possible formation of area's where the light of the astronomicon can no longer be seen which would have huge impacts on the travel trade and communication within the sectors and beyond?

I'm also thinking that the Warp Storms in the region may have expanded or even moved to new locations by the pull of the great rift possibly sucking well known worlds into the warp and perhaps disgorging ones that have been trapped for millennia?

Politically the region becomes even more isolated and perhaps predisposes it to rebellion by planetary governors etc?

A counterpoint would be if the warp gate to the Jericho Reach now provides a gateway to the other side of the Great Rift - it could become very important for the movement of trade and military shipping!

Thoughts?

As I understand the map , Hadex Anomaly now is the part of Great Rift and the Jericho Reach too. Calixis is now something like what the Koronus was, and Koronus itself... well, I don't know, anything from pure warp storm to new stable area (because of Gods of Chaos joke).

All in all Rogue Traders become even more important, if humanity wants to survive a little more, and restrictions of their already considerable power become even less...

1 hour ago, Jargal said:

As I understand the map , Hadex Anomaly now is the part of Great Rift and the Jericho Reach too.

I looked at the same map but decided the western edge of the Jericho sector was still outside the great rift but the scale of the map is so large you can pretty much decide either way?

A stable warp gate with its other end inside the Great Rift could be trouble...

Alternatively the exit point in the Jericho sector could have been shifted to somewhere completely new or as another idea both may have disappeared as mysteriously as they appeared...

17 minutes ago, Bheader said:

I looked at the same map but decided the western edge of the Jericho sector was still outside the great rift but the scale of the map is so large you can pretty much decide either way?

Well, yeah, and any GM can always houserule any official data, but for me it looks like the only non-absorbed part of Jericho Reach is the Orpheus Salient - thanks to the Shadow of Hive Fleet Dagon.

In any case, all my current campaigns are set long before the fall of Cadia, so it isn't important to me right now, but I can start new RT campaing in Dark Calixis, or DW Dark Jericho sometime soon...

Edited by Jargal
On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:00 PM, Jargal said:

All in all Rogue Traders become even more important, if humanity wants to survive a little more, and restrictions of their already considerable power become even less...

Definitely. Gulliman may be centralising and organising power effectively in 'core systems', but huge chunks of space are either inaccessible or only accessible via extremely tortuous warp routes (heck, Terra itself nearly gets cut off in Watchers of the Throne), so a Rogue Trader's 'pathfinder' role is critical in finding out how to get to those sectors which have survived but are cut off.

If the Warp Gate survives, it would be a critical asset. I can't imagine that the Maw is a safe area to navigate, though.

If anything I can see the DI adding Warp route exploratory options as opposed to standard RT. RT and DH are hilariously easy to modify in the timeline with proper context. The Frontier is already kinda isolated so unless every navigator has their head up their *** like usual, it's either catastrophic or not that big of a deal so long as they don't b line into the storm shoals. Bring that special abbicus if you can find one.

Also kind of surprised with the new yo-dawg spess mahrines in your primaris space marines that they didn't roll out more ship classes or ideas to coincide with escalating threats. GW dropping the ball like always.

7 hours ago, incinerator950 said:

Also kind of surprised with the new yo-dawg spess mahrines in your primaris space marines that they didn't roll out more ship classes or ideas to coincide with escalating threats. GW dropping the ball like always.

There is no real book series or game, at the moment, which deals with naval combat in detail, though.

New starship classes have been mentioned in passing - see Dark Imperium:

The Rudense was a small ship of a class designed specifically for the Indomitus Crusade. Its Adeptus Astartes complement was set at fifty – not even a full company. But the warriors aboard had an important role, one never seen in the armies of the Space Marines before the Ultima Founding. Slender as a dart, seven hundred metres long and as fast as its shape suggested, the Rudense was heavily armed for its size class, and strengthened to withstand brushes with planetary atmospheres. It was a rapid insertion craft, intended to fight its way through the maelstrom of close-range orbital combat and deliver its payload to the surface directly from the edge of a planet’s atmosphere.
It only had small hangars and no drop pod tubes. The Rudense was something new, and it had taken the enemy by surprise many times.

It's a carrier for Inceptor-armoured marine drop units, and about half the length of a Cobra -class destroyer. Which, is a bit random, given that the inceptor squad's default sizes are 3 or 6, neither of which goes into a 50-man capacity nicely. But never mind. Maybe the Inceptor squad is supposed to be 5-man.

Edited by Magnus Grendel
On 1/20/2018 at 3:26 PM, Bheader said:

So with the fall of Cadia the Great Rift now separates much of the north of the Milky way galaxy from the Southern chunk that contains Terra.

What impact do you think this would have on the Koronus and Calixis sectors?

Calixis probably is still accessible by going around the former Eye - via Pacificus and then Chinchare sub-sector. Conversely, traffic to the more remote parts of Obscurus (like Cypra Mundi) would go through Calixian ports now.

Also, all those warp gates may or may not be still around (and stable).

On 1/20/2018 at 5:00 PM, Jargal said:

As I understand the map , Hadex Anomaly now is the part of Great Rift and the Jericho Reach too. Calixis is now something like what the Koronus was, and Koronus itself...

Beyond the light is just "darkened route" at best. Then again, so was Ultima Macharia .

The rest depends on how much the existing warp storms were stirred.

The bad part is that it's not a problem for ' Undred-Undred Teef. And Calixis probably will be very sorry they didn't bomb to zog Iniquity when they still had a chance.

There should be several big ifs in Calixis and the Expanse since there's several centuries of drift between when RT was written and when DI was published after the EoT. A new Waaagh! could be the least of the frontier's problems if you have hostile Xenos from the Halo Stars or artifact runners who could find super powered alien weaponry, Chaos on a vacation, rogue states like the Dominate who GW conveniently forgot about, or that Eldar Corsair lord the Inquisition failed to elimate repeatedly.