Core Set: Retreat, errata?

By Sinis, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Retreat reads:

Response : After one of your unique characters is killed, return that character to your hand instead of placing it in your dead pile.

This is an exact reprinting of the version from AFoD. Is the Retreat printed in the Core Set also subject to the errata to the AFoD version found in the AGoT Legacy FAQ 7.0, which says that Retreat...

Should read: "Response: save one of your unique characters from being killed. Then return that character to its owner's hand."

Sinis said:

Retreat

This is an exact reprinting of the version from AFoD. Is the Retreat printed in the Core Set also subject to the errata to the AFoD version found in the AGoT Legacy FAQ 7.0

Depends on which format you are playing.

If you are playing an LCG format, then no; it isn't subject to the errata. This is because LCG events are "ruled" by the LCG FAQ v1.0 and that "rewording" of Retreat is not in it. If you are playing a Legacy format, the yes; it is subject to the errata because it is an exact reprint.

Keep in mind that the Retreat errata was put in when both the moribund and replacement effect mechanics were "young." They have "matured" since then and the rewording in the FAQ is not strictly necessary to make it work (and, in fact, is more of a hinderance in "cannot be saved" situations like Wildfire Assault).

I'd expect the errata to be removed from the Legacy FAQ in the next update.

Being a new player, I'm unaware of this other "version" of Retreat but I'm trying to understand the nuances of the different wording. So Retreat would work against Wildfire Assault, or any "cannot be saved" effect, since it is considered to be a response to being killed?

Hurdoc said:

Being a new player, I'm unaware of this other "version" of Retreat but I'm trying to understand the nuances of the different wording. So Retreat would work against Wildfire Assault, or any "cannot be saved" effect, since it is considered to be a response to being killed?

Correct. The way that Retreat is worded, your character dies, but is moved to your hand rather than the dead pile.

The way the errata reads, the character must be saved, which means that it never actually dies, before being moved to your hand. There are some effects, like Wildfire, that don't allow you to save your character. In those cases, save effects cannot even be used, so the errata on Retreat would make it useless because "cannot" essentially means "don't even try." But as written in the Core Set, you can use it because you are not trying to save the character