Shifty Crossbowmen

By Daverman, in Runewars List Building

So my painting is nearly done and I hope to get into actually playing more than the few trial games I've done thus far. Here's my first "serious" attempt at a Daqan list but there's plenty of room to play around with. This is 197 points:

Lord Hawthorne [34] 1x1
Shield of Margath [6]
Might of Daqan [4]
Total Unit Cost: 44

Heavy Crossbowmen [27] 3x1
Wind Rune [6]
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 37

Heavy Crossbowmen [27] 3x1
Wind Rune [6]
Rank Discipline [4]

Spearmen [30] 2x2
Dispatch Runner [7]

Oathsworn Cavalry [34] 2x2
Tempered Steel [3]
Moment of Inspiration [5]
Total Unit Cost: 42

Overall plan is for the Crossbowmen to shoot and move while the Spearmen and Hawthorne block. Cavalry try and flank. Has the option to reconfigure the 4-trays into 4x1s if the terrain looks good for it. The two things I keep questioning are:

1. Forget Wind Rune slinking around, go for Tempered Steel for more damage and rely on the blockers to keep the Crossbows safe. Could put some Rallying Cornicens in to keep the upgrades refreshed.

2. Lose some upgrades, most likely Dispatch Runner, and go with a 6-tray unit of Cavalry.

I would maybe drop Wind Rune for Tempered Steel on one of the Heavy Crossbowmen but keep Wind Rune on the other.

I believe Hawthorne's tray reconfiguration triggers before Terrain is deployed. It's a little ambiguous just from the cards since "Build Armies" is step one of Setup and his ability says "before setup", but that's certainly how I'd read it anyway.

Anyway I'm still in the Tempered Steel camp myself. Wind Rune is undeniably very good, but the extra damage lures me in every time. I like Budgernaut's idea of doing one of each, that way you can focus on blocking for the vulnerable one and take bigger risks with the mobile one.

Also, in a 4x1, Rank Discipline is slightly stronger than Moment of Inspiration, plus it's cheaper and doesn't need to be exhausted. MoI does come out on top in a 2x2 (that first reroll is so crucial) but only as long as they keep all their trays.