So this was an idea I threw out back in 3rd edition (right before 4th edition was announced). But again this was taking a look at the standard roll 10 sided dice and simple upgrade to better ship and I was thinking what if there were ways to play around with the upgrade system and combat system a little. So first with the dice. Now Rebellion had an idea that you had 2 different units, small hard to hit targets like infantry and starfighters, and larger but heavier armored targets like walkers and starships. Units had different attack values depending on what they were designed to hit such as Y-wings with a red D6 and storm troopers with black D6. And a hit on a dice was a hit of a unit of that health type. However each 6 was a direct hit which could damage any unit representing a lucky shot like a turbolaser hitting an X-wing or a blaster finding a weakspot on an AT-ST. So similar idea but as a shortcut I decided to use Armada Dice.
I changed the D8 Armada Dice to D10s but to sum it all up Red was for ships, blue was for fighters, and black was for ground forces. Basically a hit was 1 damage on a unit of the same health type, A critical hit could be assigned to any unit type, and an accuracy could be spent to allow the attacker to chose a unit to be hit. Red Armada die has 2 blanks, 1 accuracy, 2 hits, 2 crits and 1 double hit. Blue Armada die has 2 accuracy, 4 hits, and 2 crits. Black Armada Die has 2 blanks, 4 hits, and 2 crit & hit.
So Some things to go over.
- Bio : Infantry type unit (Black Dice are good against this)
- HIT (Bio) : A Hit that is applied to a Bio type unit. Does 1 damage.
- Storm : Special Result on Black Dice that has specific rules. (See Infantry Combat). Can often lead to count as Direct Hits or have special interaction with specific Action Cards.
- Flak : Small Fast moving target. Mostly Space Craft but other units fit this type (Blue Dice are good against this)
- Accuracy : Allows Attacker to allocate a Die Result of their choice to a defending unit corresponding to the Hit type of their choice.
- HIT (Flak) : A Hit that is applied to a Flak type unit.
- DIRECT HIT : A Hit in which the attacker can chose which type (Bio, Flak, Hull) it applies to.
- Hull : Larger Armored type unit. Capital Ships, Structures, and Armored Units. (Red Dice are good against this)
- HIT (Hull) : A Hit that is applied to Hull type units.
- CRITICAL HIT : A Hit that is applied first to Hull type units. When applied this counts as 2 Hits against that unit (Ignoring Sustain Damage)
- Sustain Damage : A Unit that has 2 points of health of the same type. (Flip upside down to show unit has taken a Hit and used Sustain Damage). Taking another hit will destroy this unit. At the end of combat all units with Sustain Damaged are turned upright.
- Construction : A Constructed Unit. When a hit is assigned to this unit turn it upside down to indicate that it has taken a hit and is knocked out.
- Knocked out : A Constructed Unit that has taken a hit is knocked out (flip upside down). No more hits can be assigned to this unit and no longer has an attack value. Special rules may still apply. After the combat if the unit still has friendly units remaining (that are not knocked out) then the unit is returned upright. If there are no more remaining friendly units the unit is removed as if in a surrender .
Surrendering and Stalemate
If at any time one side finds out it cannot do any damage to the opposing side, the side that can no longer do damage surrenders . Count all surrendering units as destroyed and return them to reserves. If at any time both sides find out that they can no longer damage each other it is a stalemate . Combat immediately stops and Attacker retreats. If there are any attacking units that cannot retreat then they surrender (destroyed and return to reserves).
I also want to add an option to ship upgrades giving not one but two options to upgrade a unit choosing one type or another. Each unit might specialize in one thing. You could have a Super Dreadnought with 2 red dice attack giving it the potential to destroy 4 ships but it will be helpless against a fighter swarm. So here is the set up with name of unit (color indicates health type) attack value and move value as well as 2 upgrade options. note* (SD) = sustain damage thus requiring 2 hits.
Chassis and Unit
A Chassis is a set of units that apply to a corresponding piece. A Chassis has the same name as their base (Alpha) unit. A Unit refers to a specific configuration to that Chassis through upgrades or Faction specific Signature Units. When a non-flagship non-signature unit is upgraded it will become a different unit but retain the same chassis. Whenever a specific interaction refers to a name that belongs to both to the Unit and the Chassis but does not state which, it is to be assumed that it refers to the Chassis and all units that are encompassed in it. (I.E. the term "Fighter" means Fighter, Interceptor, and Strike Fighter; while the phrase "Fighter Unit" means Fighter and excludes the Interceptor and Strike Fighter and all Signature Units in that Chassis).
- Anti-Fighter Barrage : Before Combat all of your units with Anti-fighter barrage rolls their blue dice equal to their attack value. Ignore all Accuracy and DIRECT HIT results and count and apply all HIT (Flak) results.
- Bombardment : At the start of Invasion Combat roll a black die for each ship with Bombardment (or 2 black dice for ships with Bombardment 2 ). Count all Storm results as DIRECT HITS and apply them to defending units on planets. (note: a unit with Planetary Shields on that planet prevents all Bombardment rolls)
- Planetary Shields : Stops all Bombardment Rolls. Also when defending in invasion combat Infantry Combat may count the first three Storm results as DIRECT HITS.
- Infantry Combat . When Defending in invasion combat. Infantry may count the 1st Storm Result as a DIRECT HIT . When attacking in invasion combat Infantry cannot count any Storm results without an Action Card. When defending with Planetary Shields defending Infantry may count the first 3 Storm results as DIRECT HITS .
- Space Cannon: Planetary Units with Space Cannon may add their attack value to Space Combat in the same Hex during the 1st round of combat.
- Production X: May build units equal to the Resource Value of this planet. ( Production X+2 is 2 more than the resource value of this planet).
(Cost) Chassis and Base Unit Name color is Unit Type ( Health Icons if any ) A tta ck V alu e -Move Value Capacity Value * traits , and special rules
- ( Gamma Upgrade Prerequisit ) Gamma Upgraded Unit Name color is Unit Type ( Health Icons if any ) A tta ck V alu e -Move Value Capacity Value * traits , and special rules
- ( Delta Upgrade Prerequisit ) Delta Upgraded Unit Name color is Unit Type ( Health Icons if any ) A tta ck V alu e -Move Value Capacity Value * traits , and special rules
(Cost 2 for 1) Fighter 1 Blue - Move -
- ( P B ) Strike Fighter 1 Blue or 1 Red - Move -
- ( P C ) Interceptor 2 Blue - Move 2
(Cost 1) Bomber 1 Red - Move - (Use TI 3 Destroyer as Proxy)
- ( W BB ) Gunship 2 Black - Move - *Storm counts as direct hit.
- ( PP B ) Strategic Bomber 1 Red - Move 3 * bombardment
(Cost 3) Carrier 1 Blue - Move 1 Capacity 4
- ( P B ) Super Carrier - Move 2 Capacity 8
- ( PP ) Attack Carrier 2 Blue - Move 1 Capacity 6
(Cost 1) Frigate 1 Blue - Move 2 * antifighter barrage (I changed the name of Destroyer to Frigate because Destroyer > Frigate. So upgrading frigate to destroyer seems backwards)
- ( W P ) Corvette 2 Blue - Move 3 * reroll mine rolls (whenever they make a return)
- ( WW ) Destroyer 2 Blue - Move 2 * antifighter barrage
(Cost 2) Cruiser 1 Red - Move 2
- ( W P B ) Strike Cruiser 1 Red - Move 3 Capacity 1 * bombardment , can only carry ground forces
- ( WW C ) Heavy Cruiser(SD) 1 Blue or 1 Red - Move 2
(Cost 4) Dreadnought(SD) 1 Blue 1 Red - Move 1 Capacity 1 * bombardment , antifighter barrage
- ( WW P ) Super Dreadnought(SD) 2 Red - Move 2 Capacity 2 * bombardment
- ( CC B ) Battle Barge(SD) 1 Blue 1 Red - Move 1 Capacity 4 * bombardment , antifighter barrage
(Cost Construct and 12) Super Weapon (War Sun unfinished) (SD) (Const) 2 Red - Move - Capacity 3 * prerequisite to Warsun or Doomsday Upgrade
- ( WWW C ) WarSun(SD) (Const) 3 Red - Move 1 Capacity 3 * Warsun Bombardment
- ( P C BB ) Doomsday Device(SD)(Const) 1 Blue 2 Red - Move 1 * In a non-homeworld non-hazard non-empty system destroy doomsday device replace system with a random hazard system. Can only build 2 per game .
(Cost Construct) Space Dock (Const) - Move - Capacity 3 * space dock rules
- ( P C ) Battle Station (Const) 1 Blue or 1 Red - Move 1 Capacity 3 * space dock rules, Places in Space instead of Planets. Does not take up fleet supply if a planet is in the same Hex.
- ( CC ) Star Port (Const) - Move - Capacity 6 * space dock rules, may add 2 to the resource value of the planet.
(Cost Construct) PDS (Const) * 1 Blue 1 Red * planetary shield
- ( C B ) World Fortress (Const) 2 Blue 2 Red - Move - Capacity 6 * planetary shield , cannot be on same planet as a Space Dock . May produce Planetary Forces and Space Craft.
- ( W C ) Ballistic Missile Silo (Const) 1 Blue 1 Red - Move - * May attack ships in adjacent hex or bombard planets in adjacent hex
(Cost 2 for 1) Infantry* 1 black *W hen defending may count the first storm result as a direct hit . When defending with Planetary Shield count the first 3 storm results.
- ( BB ) Shock Troops 1 black * When invading a planet count the first there storm result as a direct hit . W hen defending may count the first storm result as a direct hit . When defending with Planetary Shield count the first 3 storm results.
- ( W B ) Mechanized Infantry 1 black * W hen defending may count the first storm result as a direct hit . When defending with Planetary Shield count the first 3 storm results. Unaffected by X-89 Bacteria Weapon.
(Cost 2) Armored Regiment(SD) 1 Red - Move - * takes 2 capacity (Mechanized Unit from Shards of the Throne Expansion).
- ( W C B ) Assault Walkers(SD) 1 Blue or 1 Red or 1 Black - Move - * takes 2 capacity
- ( PP C ) Hovership(SD) 1 Blue 1 Black - Move - * takes 2 capacity, may move to another planet in same hex once the hex is activated. May participate in invasion combat on a different planet in same hex without needing capacity.
Gamma and Delta Upgrades.
The starting unit of each chassis is the alpha unit. Each alpha unit has 2 upgrade options, gamma and delta . To upgrade an alpha unit you must first meet the prerequisites in the upgrade box for one of the configurations below. Prerequisits for the gamma upgrades of that unit will be different than the prerequisites for the delta unit. If a player is able to meet the prerequisites for both upgrade options the player must chose between the gamma or the delta upgrade option. A unit cannot have both gamma and delta upgrades. If a player upgrades (retrofit) an already upgraded alpha unit then the former upgrade is placed back in reserves and all pieces of the chassis reverts to the new unit configuration.
- Deep Space Cannon May participate in the first round of combat in any adjacent hex or the same hex as this unit.
- Space Mines When any ship enters a hex with this unit in it. The player entering that Hex must roll a Red Die for each of their fleet supply and apply all hits to their ships entering that hex. (First with CRITICAL HITS then HITS (Hull) and last all DIRECT HITS must be assigned to any remaining units).
- Scouting When ever a ship enters a hex with this unit has to roll for any hazard (i.e. Space Mines, Gravity Rift) player may reroll any and all their hazard rolls (only once per interaction).
- Boarding : Shock Troops and Infantry with the Boarding Action card may at the end of a round of combat board an enemy ship. One of your ships with capacity may make a Boarding Action against a ship of your choice. For each available Infantry unit up to your chosen ships capacity roll a black die Each HIT (Bio) destroys one unit using that ships capacity (regardless of type) up to the target ships capacity value. Each Storm result counts as a HIT(Hull) against that ship. ( note: When Shock Troops Board in conjunction with a Boarding Action card destroys a non-super weapon, non-flagship ship. You may place a unit of the same chassis in your homeworld if you control it).
Super Weapon, Construction, Sustain Damaged
So playing around with super weapon idea and with Accuracy and CRITICAL HIT s Super Weapons such as Warsuns become so vulnerable that it is just a waste of resources to bring them to any big battle. So I change the way to acquire Super Weapons such as a Warsun. To build a Super Weapon you first need to construct the prototype in your home system with the Construction Strategy Card. You have to have the prototype built before researching the upgrade (unlike the other way around). Place the lower half of an un-assembled Warsun in your home Hex. When you finally upgrade the Super Weapon to Warsun or Doomsday Device place the corresponding upgrade card on your Faction Sheet and Assemble the Warsun and place it in your home Hex. The Next Superweapon you can build at any hex you have production on without the Construction Strategy.
When an upgraded super weapon uses Sustain Damage Turn the Warsun on its side. If it is damaged twice instead of destroying the unit the Warsun/Doomsday is knocked out and no longer participates in combat Disasemble the Warsun and place the Top half on the Hex. At the end of combat if the Warsun/Doomsday still has friendly units (or retreats) then all damage is recovered. Reassemble the Warsun and turn it upside. If there are no friendly units left the unit is destroyed and place Warsun back in reserves. During a Boarding Action if a Boarding Action knocks out a Warsun/Doomsday then the unit is placed in reserves regardless of friendly units being present or not.
Faction Specific Signature Units
So here was an interesting discovery I found out. Take all the current units in TI 4th edition, (9 units) add 2 new units (bomber and armored), then multiply the sum by 3 (3 units per chassis, alpha, gamma, and delta), and add the flagship. You get a total of 34 units. Divide 34 by the number of Faction (17) and 34 divided by 17 = 2 units per faction.
So with this mod I have decided to take 2 chassis from each faction and give them their own race specific Signature Units . Signature units are a variant of a unit that only that faction has. They could be a slightly improved variant of the base (alpha) unit without upgrades (beta), or they could be a slightly weaker version of an upgraded Gamma or Delta Unit (lowercase gamma or lowercase delta).
- Xxicha Kingdom : P.D.S. , Dreadnought
- Emirates of Hacan : Carrier Attack Carrier , Armored Units
- University of Jol-Nar : Flagship , (Cheaper Prototype Superweapon)
- Barony of Letnev : Cruiser Heavy Cruiser , Frigate Destroyer
DreadnoughtI know I took out the Dreadnought just wait I will have Exotrime in other place on that race
- Sol Federation : Carrier Super Carrier , Infantry Shock Troops
- Naalu Collective : Fighter Strike Fighter , Dreadnought Battle Barge
- Mentak Coalition : Frigate Corvette , Bomber
- Yssaril Tribes : Armored Hovership , Fighter
- L1Z1X Mindnet : Dreadnought Super Dreadnought , Bomber Gunship
- Winnu Republic : Space Dock Star Port , Carrier
- Embers of Muaat : Superweapon Warsun , Space Dock
- Clans of Saar : Space Dock Battle Station , Frigate
- Yin Brotherhood : Bomber Strategic Bomber , Cruiser
- Ghost of Ceres : Cruiser Strike Cruiser , Fighter Interceptor
- Arborec Solidarity : Infantry , P.D.S. B.M.S.
- Nekro Virus : Infantry Mechanized Infantry , Superweapon Doomsday Device
Developing Note* The first unit next to each faction are a good match I consider for a signature unit (Beta). The second unit are well left over and ones I have assigned trying to keep in theme and mechanics. I didn't plan on each faction having 2 Signature units. Mainly just one and a few factions will have a 2nd Signature Unit (Epsilon). However after doing the arithmetic and finding a perfect multiple of the number of factions I had to give each faction 2. If there are any unit assignments that you disagree with feel free to leave a comment.
Signature units and unit similarities . Each signature unit is similar to a generic base unit (alpha) or common upgraded unit (Gamma or Delta). Signature units share the same Chassis as their similar units. However they are not considered the same unit as their similar unit. If an interaction names a unit (not chassis) but does not state like or similar units then signature units ignore that interaction. However if it is state (and like) after the unit's name (or names) then the interaction affects the Signature unit.
Upgrading Signature Units
Unlike base generic units (alpha), Signature units (Beta) do not change their unit type when they are upgraded. Instead place the unit upgrade in the cargo to state that you have purchased the upgrade and apply the upgrade rule in that units upgrade block. A Signature unit can have both the gamma and the delta upgrades making them a superiority unit (Omega). Researching the other upgrade does not replace the former upgrade, instead keep both upgrades in cargo to signify that you have fully upgraded the unit.
Sorry No Greek Font
Gamma Symbol : After purchasing the gamma upgrade for this chassis gain this special ability for your signature unit.
Delta Symbol : After Purchasing the delta upgrade for this chassis gain this special ability for your signature unit.
Omega Symbol : Gain this special ability for your signature unit only after you purchase both the gamma and delta upgrades for this chassis.
The Universities of Jol-Nar as you may have noticed don't really have any signature units. (I'd figure they are too good at tech for that). Instead they have a an additional mod slot for their flag ship (4 slots instead of 3) and a cheaper cost on building their first super weapon (by 2). All other races will have 2 unique signature units.
So flag ships tend to fall in one of two categories; you either need them for your faction sheet, or you don't use them unless you are swimming in trade goods after purchasing 2 warsuns. So I took a little mechanic from another 4x game you may have heard of called Eclipse and figured I can use it for flagships.
Every player starts with their Flagship in their home system. If a flagship ends up destroyed the cost of a new flagship is 4 + the highest tier tech they have researched (regardless if it is in cargo or installed). So for a player with only the base Tier 1 upgrades installed or in Cargo, their Flagship would cost them 5, while a player that has researched Assault Cannon, their flagship would cost them 8.
So flagships have no upgrades units to say of. Instead each flagship has a generic stat line and 3 module slots (Jol-Nar has 4). Each General Tech upgrade has a Flagship module attached to it. When a new tech is researched it can be placed in cargo or placed in one of the flag ships mod slots. A technology upgrade still applies regardless if it is attached to a mod slot, in cargo, or if the flagship is on the table or in reserves. The Flagship modules only apply to the flagship if they are placed in one of the mod slots. During the technology phase, players may rearrange their flagship modules in any way they see fit. After the technology step all installed modules stay on the flagship.
General Flag Ship mods (attached to tech) Module when attached to flagship
Anti-Ship Firepower (Red Dice)
- w (Plasma Scoring) 1 Red
- C (Gravation Laser System) 1 Red or 1 Blue and Bombardment
- PP (Fleet Logistics) 1 Red and 1 Blue
- WWW (Assault Cannon) 2 Red and Bombardment 2
Speed (Movement Increase)
- p (Anti-Mass Deflectors) Movement value is increased by 1 (Cannot be increased further outside of modifications)
- B (Dacxive Animators) Movement value is now 2 unless already higher (Flagship can move through Special Red Hexes)
- WW (Duranium Armor) Movement value is increased by 1 (Flagship can move through Hexs with enemy ships)
- PPP (Light Wave Deflector) Movement value is 3 (Reroll Hazards for Space mines and Red Special Hexs)
- b (Neural Motivator) 2 Capacity
- W (Magen Defense Grid) 4 Capacity
- CC (Transit Diodes) 8 Capacity and Transfer Action
- BBB (X-89 Bacterial Weapon) 10 Capacity and Gen Synthesis for Fighters and (Bio) Units
Anti-Fighter Firepower (Blue Dice)
- c (Sarween Tools) 1 Blue
- P (Gravity Drive) 1 Blue Die and Anti-fighter Barrage
- BB (Hyper Metobalism) 2 Blue Die
- CCC (Integrated Economy) 2 Blue Die and Anti-fighter Barrage
Well comments, suggestions. We could also alter the armada dice or change them all together. What do you think?Edited by Marinealver
moved more 3rd edition terms to 4th edition (Tech categories)