Pax South Tournament Turnout Sad.

By Cptkirk11, in L5R LCG: Organized Play

Well I tried to come get in some games before the Kotei tomorrow, but alas unless you were participating in the worlds wualifier which had only 10 people, there was zero turn iut for the on demand tournaments.

Sad, I wish FFG would have done more to push the events going today. I talked to some of the other local players and none of them even knew the other events today were happeneing.

Fourteen players. Not much better, but I like to be accurate.

The schedule has been up for several months. There's a link on the Kotei page to Cascade's full program for PAX South. I totally get that it's disappointing to see a low turnout/no turnout for the side event, but I don't think it's something to necessarily blame FFG for.

9 hours ago, Hinomura said:

I don't think it's something to necessarily blame FFG for.

This guy gets it.

Not everyone can have funds on demand for a $45 badge, $40 event ticket, transportation (potentially hundreds of dollars), room, and board.

Edited by Kakita Shiro
3 hours ago, Kakita Shiro said:

This guy gets it.

Not everyone can have funds on demand for a $45 badge, $40 event ticket, transportation, room, and board.

Exactly. It's not exactly the best time to be traveling to events in the post holiday lean times. Several of our group would have gone except it's PTO blackout at work.

Today was the actual tournament day and there were 61 which isn't too bad but I'm definitely anti all the kotei being at conventions

61 is pretty low. Should be closer to 100 in order to fill up a top 16, possibly even the other side of 100.

Edited by Kakita Shiro

Yes. With the numbers at PAX South it was 5 people automatically in the top 8 with 6 more people dueling it out for the last 3 spots as the "top 16" round. I think the short notice and needing to build up the tournament infrastructure made the situation a little tight. Hopefully the later koteis have better turn out. I am tempted to find one more kotei to try this year.

Also, so far I have only seen 14 koteis listed but the page says there will be 20 this season. That leaves very little room to plan 6 more before the season ends at GenCon. Maybe they will be short this year? There are a few conventions in the September and October months that might have helped, but those would be better situated as a start to the next season if they want GenCon to be the final one. Then again maybe they want nothing between GenCon and Worlds, even though that is a three month gap.

4 hours ago, GM81 Protocol Droid said:

Also, so far I have only seen 14 koteis listed but the page says there will be 20 this season. That leaves very little room to plan 6 more before the season ends at GenCon. Maybe they will be short this year? There are a few conventions in the September and October months that might have helped, but those would be better situated as a start to the next season if they want GenCon to be the final one. Then again maybe they want nothing between GenCon and Worlds, even though that is a three month gap.

FFG remove Koteis from the Kotei page a short time after the event has concluded.

5 hours ago, Kakita Shiro said:

61 is pretty low. Should be closer to 100 in order to fill up a top 16, possibly even the other side of 100.

100 players should only give you 7 players that make the cut (6-1 or 7-0).
So you'll have 14 players playing out a top 16.

I think the math showed you need closer to 130 to get a true top 16, including the challengers.

5 hours ago, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

FFG remove Koteis from the Kotei page a short time after the event has concluded.

There are currently 12 on the page. I thought there was only PAX Unplugged and Madrid prior. I admit I didn't pay great attention in November and December, so must have missed the other six.

Edited by GM81 Protocol Droid