League format ideas.

By Zaaik, in Runewars Rules Questions

I'm looking to start a Runewars league with some of my friends this year, hopefully there will be 5/6 of us involved.

I was wondering if anyone here was already partaking in a league and if so would they be able to share their leagues format/rules with me? As I am trying to figure out how to construct it. Do you use the tournament scoring system as a foundation? Do you use the same list throughout the whole league? How many times do you play one another? How are the fixtures decided?

Most of me thinks that its mostly taken from the tournament rules and adapted, however part of me feels like some of you out there might have your own unique twists and rules within your own leagues.

Please feel free to share as I am just kind of looking for inspiration, ideas and clarification at the moment.

I just joined a league with the first round coming right up.

I believe we are doing tournament scoring. We have 8 people. You have to stay within faction for the coarse of the league, but you can change your list up each game.

We have to get 1 game in within a given month with our randomized opponent.

Seems like it basically runs as an extended timeframe tournament with list changes and non-tournament (standard) setup. Draw from full deck of cards for deployment and objectives.

3 hours ago, Aetheriac said:

I just joined a league with the first round coming right up.

I believe we are doing tournament scoring. We have 8 people. You have to stay within faction for the coarse of the league, but you can change your list up each game.

We have to get 1 game in within a given month with our randomized opponent.

Seems like it basically runs as an extended timeframe tournament with list changes and non-tournament (standard) setup. Draw from full deck of cards for deployment and objectives.

This is almost exactly how we do it, except we have only a week to get our games in because I guess we're a little ambitious. We don't have a dedicated game night for Runewars, so it's been pretty easy for everybody to find a night to get together with their assigned opponent. Our leagues are all round-robin, so you only face each other player once.

I do like that in a league we can use all available deployments, and not just the three tournament-legal deployments. But it raises a question: do you include the special tournament kit deployments and objectives in your deck? The problem is that they objective and deployment must be taken together. The only way I can see that working is that if either the deployment or objective is dealt, and first player selects that card, the matching card is used automatically, without second player getting a choice. Which is kind of lame, but it increases the diversity of objectives and deployments played in a league.

I'll have to bring that up to our league and see what people say.

Also, we are considering this Winter League. Minimum of 1 game per month gives plenty of time for busy people to get a game in.

Edited by Aetheriac