Questions from a new player....

By cardboardghost, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

I am just getting into Android Netrunner after sitting on the fence for a couple of years (I had the Core Set about 4 years ago, tried to lean how to play, but couldn't ever figure it out. I eventually sold my Core Set on eBay for about what I had initially paid). Back in 2014 the best "learn to play" video I could find was the official one put out by Fantasy Flight, and although I think the animations and narration are top-notch, I simply couldn't piece together the rules of the game off of this video.

Flash forward to today, and when I heard that a Revised Core Set was being released --one that promised to be more finely tuned and an overall improvement on the original Core Set --I became intrigued. I went online to see if I could finally learn how to play this mysterious game. When I searched for a "learn to play" video in 2017 I was pleased to find the video series put out by Team Covenant. Those videos did an excellent job of easing me into the rules of Netrunner (at least the beginner version of the rules...enough to at least play a couple of games). So I decided to give the game another try and purchased a Revised Core Set. My friend came over one night and we played a couple of games. After that I am hooked. Android Netrunner is a great game. Although it is not my favorite fictional setting, I still like dystopian cyberpunk and as far as the brilliance of this game goes, I finally see the light!

So now that I'm a novice who is getting into the game I have a few questions for the Android Netrunner Community (one other thing I should mention is that I've been playing Magic the Gathering on and off since 1996. I spent many years playing constructed Magic, before finally discovering various draft formats --Winston, Solomon, Booster, and Cube....and most recently Commander.)

1.) Is this (Fantasy Flight Forums) the best (most active) forum regarding Android Netrunner on the web? (I only ask because in Magic, the forums on the official Wizards of the Coast Website pale in comparison to the activity of the MTG Salvation forums --which are unofficial)

2.) When you attend an official Netrunner Tournament, do you have to bring both a Runner and a Corp deck? Do you get to choose? How do you decide who plays what faction (Runner vs. Corp) in a matchup?

3.) Does anyone maintain a list of an Android Netrunner cube? Is there a lively cube community in Netrunner?

4.) I'm aware that Fantasy Flight has released Draft packs for Netrunner. I'm wondering how to players select Runners and/or Corp Identities when drafting....Do you first draft the identities and Runners and THEN draft all of the cards that go into your deck? Or do you draft the Runners and Corp. IDs along with all of the "regular" cards?

5.) I noticed in the cardlist for the big box expansion Data and Destiny there are three weird gray factions --Apex, Sunny, and Adam.... Can someone explain these runners to me? What are they? Are they considered "colorless" and can go in any "normal" runner deck? Or are they just brand new runner factions that behave just like the main three Criminal, Anarch, and Shaper?

Thanks for indulging a noob.

I look forward to any and all responses/answers :-)

1). While I check this forum regularly, I prefer either boardgamegeek.com or the Netrunner Reddit.

2-4 I'll leave to others.

5. They are runners in their own faction, but they have higher prestige limits allowing them to draft more cards from the usual three.

1) Heeeeellll no. This place is a ghost town. Reddit's r/netrunner page, the Netrunner Dorks Facebook group, and Stimhack.com are the big hangouts.

2) Both--you play both decks each round during swiss. There's a more complex rubric to trade off which side you play in Elimination Rounds, but frankly: don't worry about it. :ph34r:

3) the Stimhack.com crew loves cube drafting.

4) There are draft-specific IDs--the first few series had generic neutral IDs, the last series had some unique IDs for each faction that every participant got a full set of. But they're no longer putting out any new draft sets because they sell like crap.

5) Sunny/Apex/Adam are "mini-factions." They each have a small card pool to call their own, and are given much-larger-than-normal amounts of Influence in order to import enough cards from other factions to fill out a deck.

Thanks for the quick and informative replies!