Epic ships - Which one to buy?

By Captain Pellaeon, in X-Wing Epic Play

Yay we have Epic forums now, so let's use it!

My question will revolve about how to plan my next epic purchase this year. I already own the Rebel Transport - it's hilarious as a stress + battering ram thing. I once managed to trample three TIE Fighters with it. I'm tempted to get the Gozanti, because the Automated Protocols card make all epic ships much better. I already have a copy of TIE/x1 + ATC, so a Raider wouldn't be so much of a priority - at least not for the TIE Advanced parts. The CR90 looks like such a beautiful model... but it offers little else, outside of Epic play. The CROC also isn't really important for me, since I have very few Scum ships.

So, what should I focus getting? Pros and cons?

Gonzati. Looks cool.

18 minutes ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

My question will revolve about how to plan my next epic purchase this year. I already own the Rebel Transport - it's hilarious as a stress + battering ram thing. I once managed to trample three TIE Fighters with it. I'm tempted to get the Gozanti, because the Automated Protocols card make all epic ships much better. I already have a copy of TIE/x1 + ATC, so a Raider wouldn't be so much of a priority - at least not for the TIE Advanced parts. The CR90 looks like such a beautiful model... but it offers little else, outside of Epic play. The CROC also isn't really important for me, since I have very few Scum ships.

The tat I’ve offers some good crew cards if you play Rebel.

If you dabble in epic but mostly play 100/6, Gozanti hands down.

If you really like your rebels and epic play, get the CR90.

and if you’re like me, the correct answer truly is to get both. :-)

43 minutes ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

My question will revolve about how to plan my next epic purchase this year. I already own the Rebel Transport - it's hilarious as a stress + battering ram thing. I once managed to trample three TIE Fighters with it. I'm tempted to get the Gozanti, because the Automated Protocols card make all epic ships much better. I already have a copy of TIE/x1 + ATC, so a Raider wouldn't be so much of a priority - at least not for the TIE Advanced parts. The CR90 looks like such a beautiful model... but it offers little else , outside of Epic play. The CROC also isn't really important for me, since I have very few Scum ships.

Pro: The Gozanti is tempting.

Con: You've already shot down the other choices.

:lol:

Seriously, though, the Gozanti is a fun little ship. I kinda like the GR-75/Goz/CROC the most because they don't eat up 1/3 to 1/2 you list, but still give all the fun of a Huge.

Go Go Gozanti!

1 minute ago, Darth Meanie said:

I kinda like the GR-75/Goz/CROC the most because they don't eat up 1/3 to 1/2 you list, but still give all the fun of a Huge.

Go Go Gozanti!

I’m sorry, but CR90 > GR75 every time in my opinion. :)

I love flying my CR90 in what I call artillery mode - it flies on the edges of the battle away from the main clash unloading at least 3 weapons at range 4-5 at my opponents 0-1 agi ships primarily (though I’ve been known to obliterate tie bombers with a pwt followed up by a turbo laser, even with the agi boost they get). My fighters protect the distance by focusing down on anything that’s trying to get nearby and anything with agi.

and in case they fail, the CR90 still packs a quad laser for up close and personal work.

Gozanti would be best. It flies well enough on its own and makes any future epics better.

After that when ya got money available grab the raider because missile raider is crazy good fun.

All of them!!!!

WOO HOO EPIC!!!

@Captain Pellaeon truthfully, if you are contemplating which epic ship based on the cards that come with it for epic play (such as the epic fixes in Gozanti and c-roc did), don’t. Unless you are participating in one of the rare as hens teeth ffg official epic events, you’re almost guaranteed to be printing out your list rather than assembling the cards for it together.

I have seen only one opponent ever attempt to use cards for all his epic list. Everyone else just goes into a squad builder and prints the whole thing nice and neat.

just a helpful trick since we are all casual anyways :)

Edited by ScummyRebel
1 hour ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

The later ones, Gozanti and CROC have some nice cards that help all the epics, but as @ScummyRebel said, unless you are in one of the few sanctioned events, its all about casual fun. Use whatever upgrades you want, print up copies or use a squad builder.

If you just want to have fun, they are all great. Each has something to offer and a weakness to either exploit or defend against depending on which side you are on. The CR90 and Raider can deal out a lot of punishment but have some blind spots and are vulnerable to anything that stops their energy production, especially Ion weapons. The Gozanti can do a little work but until in dumps its squad of reinforcements you can use it to keep the enemy guessing. The transport can be a really good troll for messing with the other guys ships, it can be a steam roller or it can just be a Coordinate/support piece. And I just got the CROC but I am dying to unleash my Jabba enhanced fleet of illicit criminals on the galaxy!

Image result for all of them

The best way to get official tournaments, is to keep asking your flgs to run one.

TO it yourself, if necessary. As long as a 2nd person is designated as an assistant TO, you can still play.

3 hours ago, Gilarius said:

The best way to get official tournaments, is to keep asking your flgs to run one.

TO it yourself, if necessary. As long as a 2nd person is designated as an assistant TO, you can still play.

I find the better way to go about this is a league over a tournament. You meet up once a week/month and play a game, record the result for the league.

the only downside to an epic tournament is how long the day can get with multiple games in one day.

10 hours ago, Fuzzywookie said:

Gonzati. Looks cool.

also really good in game, either as a turret-tank, carrier, or both.

Its a party bus for tie fighter pilots... cant go wrong!

8 hours ago, Celestial Lizards said:

Ain't nobody got money for that!

9 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

@Captain Pellaeon truthfully, if you are contemplating which epic ship based on the cards that come with it for epic play (such as the epic fixes in Gozanti and c-roc did), don’t. Unless you are participating in one of the rare as hens teeth ffg official epic events, you’re almost guaranteed to be printing out your list rather than assembling the cards for it together.

I have seen only one opponent ever attempt to use cards for all his epic list. Everyone else just goes into a squad builder and prints the whole thing nice and neat.

just a helpful trick since we are all casual anyways :)

I really get what you mean, and it makes perfect sense. But since I'm something like a "must own to play" elitist, I prefer to play with only what I have, even in casual play. X) I don't care if someone brings a printed list against me, but I need to see my upgrade cards as they are when I put a list down the table.

Needless to say, this habit of mine is rather bad for my wallet. xD

7 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I find the better way to go about this is a league over a tournament. You meet up once a week/month and play a game, record the result for the league.

the only downside to an epic tournament is how long the day can get with multiple games in one day.

This is a good idea if you have a group of regular players who want to play epic. A tournament is better for getting visiting players to give epic a go.

The one official tournament I've played in had 3 rounds, started at 10am for registration and finished at 7pm. Using 2 hour rounds, but time started once everyone was setup.

3 hours ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

With second hand ships being pretty cheap, I've got 9 huge. I want to fly my C-ROC before I get a 2nd...

Edited by Gilarius
can't count
5 hours ago, Captain Pellaeon said:

You underestimate the lengths some of us will go. The only one I’m missing is the Raider. However, I fully admit I am watching for deals - nabbed a Gozanti on prime day for down in the $30s and I bought my CR90 secondhand for $40.

From personal experience, you’re truly missing out by not getting the Raider. The thing is VICIOUS. You have to play it well, and build it well (I tend to focus on offensive flexibility), but used well in concert with fighter support, the Raider can shred enemy forces. It’s my favorite epic ship to fly, presently. (For reference, I haven’t had a chance to try the Gozanti, and I have no interest in the C-Roc, but I own the Raider, CR90 and GR-75.)

On 1/9/2018 at 4:17 AM, ScummyRebel said:

You underestimate the lengths some of us will go. The only one I’m missing is the Raider. However, I fully admit I am watching for deals - nabbed a Gozanti on prime day for down in the $30s and I bought my CR90 secondhand for $40.

I won my CR90 as a sportsmanship prize at a tournament - that entry fee was the best $15 I ever spent on X-wing.

I'll need to look around for deals for the C-ROC. That's the only one I'm missing, and those M3-A pilots look like so much fun!

1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

I won my CR90 as a sportsmanship prize at a tournament - that entry fee was the best $15 I ever spent on X-wing.

I'll need to look around for deals for the C-ROC. That's the only one I'm missing, and those M3-A pilots look like so much fun!

As far as my wife is concerned, I won my 2nd Raider at a tournament...:)

On 1/8/2018 at 5:43 PM, Celestial Lizards said:

Done. My CR90 came in yesterday. My collection is complete.