Can unicorn switch from behind their screen?

By DarwinsDog, in Battle for Rokugan

I guess the question is: What does "position" mean? Does the Unicorn ability refer to tokens on the board only, or to any available tokens? In the interest of keeping the game moving last night we decided that they can indeed swap a token on the board with one behind the screen. It didn't seem overly powered, and fits with the theme of cavalry reserves and maneuvers, but we weren't entirely sure.

EDIT:

Got a response from FFG.

Q: When a Unicorn player switches position of two of their tokens, can one of those come from behind their screen? We didn't know if that was considered a "position" or not.
A: No, they can only switch the positions of two of their combat tokens on the board.

Edited by DarwinsDog

My first instinct thinks only tokens that are placed, but to be honest I could see this one either way.

I think you played it fine, and I would be interested to hear other thoughts. Good question.

I believe the intent was placed tokens but I kind of liked how you played it better! I only used Unicorn in my first game and forgot to even use their special ability that time. I remember thinking after the game "well, I wouldn't have known how to use that to benefit me anyway". Now that I have quite a few more games in I could see its power.

I think being able to switch out a piece from behind your screen would actually be more interesting. You place a strong token expecting it to be defended against, in turn it's not. So then you can switch it out to save in a later round or use it on a province that you don't feel as confident in breaking or defending.

I think as long as your group agrees to use Unicorn’s ability in the way you described before the game starts it should be okay and not be overly powerful.

I got a response from Molly Glover on the question (I really appreciate when developers respond directly). The general consensus was right.

Q: When a Unicorn player switches position of two of their tokens, can one of those come from behind their screen? We didn't know if that was considered a "position" or not.
A: No, they can only switch the positions of two of their combat tokens on the board.

Edited OP for convenience.