Looking for a gold metallic paint

By TheWiseGuy, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

I am looking for a nice gold metallic paint. I currently have the vellejo game colour gold metallic and it goes on SOOO thin I actually can’t handle it! Any suggestions for one that can go on nicely in just one coat?

Their "Glorious Gold" of the same line has much better coverage.

I use army painter and both the gold colors i have seem to go on in 1-2 coats almost every time.

VMC line metallics are great.

@TheWiseGuy , are you using a went palette? I just started using one so my metallics didn't dry so fast, but sometimes it gets a little too wet and good on thin. I'm using Vallejo Game Color Polished Gold. Also, it's my first try with a wet pallette, so I may be doing it wrong?

1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

@TheWiseGuy , are you using a went palette? I just started using one so my metallics didn't dry so fast, but sometimes it gets a little too wet and good on thin. I'm using Vallejo Game Color Polished Gold. Also, it's my first try with a wet pallette, so I may be doing it wrong?

the VGC metallics are very thick (even the VMC metallics are thick enough that they require some thinning), so that should not be an issue at all. What you generally don't want to do is gob it on thick just to get coverage in a single coat. Multple coats of paint is normal (especially if you are base coating). Too thin is generally when the paint can't be controlled anymore.

If you really feel the need to increase the coverage with gold, try undercoating with light brown first. That will provide the illusion of greater coverage.

Citadel Retributor armour is amazing. Even on black primer you only need one coat.

On 1/8/2018 at 4:19 AM, Wired4War said:

Citadel Retributor armour is amazing. Even on black primer you only need one coat.

I’m also a big Fan of Retributor Armor. It is expensive though.

6 hours ago, Rentner65 said:

I’m also a big Fan of Retributor Armor. It is expensive though.

It's a great color and recently picked it up and use it now on my Daqan shields and trim, but I don't think it's a pure gold color.

3 hours ago, darkjawa103 said:

It's a great color and recently picked it up and use it now on my Daqan shields and trim, but I don't think it's a pure gold color.

It's just meant to be a base. I usually wash it with a fleshwash, then layer with something like auric gold. Some edge with a silver if you just want it to look gold plated, but I usually don't.

GWs Auric Armour Gold works well too.