Stormtrooper activation double move

By Jaydash808, in Legends of the Alliance

Can someone explain to me why stormtroopers would have a double "move to reposition" instruction?

i.e.

*>Move 3 to attack Jyn

>Move 2 to reposition 4

>Move 6 to reposition 4

I'm unclear on when to skip ">Move 2 to reposition 4". Is it just when the trooper can't get 4 away from rebels? In which case, wouldn't the Move 6 have done the job in the first place since you stop when you are 4 away?

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:05 PM, Jaydash808 said:

Can someone explain to me why stormtroopers would have a double "move to reposition" instruction?

i.e.

*>Move 3 to attack Jyn

>Move 2 to reposition 4

>Move 6 to reposition 4

I'm unclear on when to skip ">Move 2 to reposition 4". Is it just when the trooper can't get 4 away from rebels? In which case, wouldn't the Move 6 have done the job in the first place since you stop when you are 4 away?

Not necessarily. I've had my heroes bug out after completing a key component of the mission and after ducking around a corner, the Imperial could not get line of sight to them with the first attack action. Therefore they had to move 2 and still not be within 4 so they had to move 6 again and were still not within 4 after moving 8 spaces due to my figures double moving and straining for 2 move movement points.

Edited by FSD

I don't think "Move 2 to Reposition 4" will ever be skipped. The tutorial explains that if moving 2 doesn't get four spaces away they go as far as possible.

Basically if moving 3 doesn't get them an attack the first instruction is skipped, then they move 2, then they move 6. If they can get an attack in the first instruction then they will move 2 to get as close to the Reposition distance as possible.

Right. If move three wasn't enough to get an attack, then clearly moving two instead of three would also not get an attack. Think of it as a double move instead of a move and attack.

If the attack is skipped, our group simply combines the reposition instructions into 1 instruction: "Move 8 to reposition 4" (double move)

It speeds things up and I think it works out the same. Feel free to correct me.

You don't skip Reposition actions, but if a figure can't attack with 3 movement points, it skips that instruction completely, including the Move 3.

Basically the app figures that if it can't attack you after moving 3 spaces, it must be way out of position and so it will effectively get 8 movement points to get closer to the Rebels to be ready to attack them on the next turn.

**** I was playing it that you skip the first move action so it would be move the big move then attack. I thought of it as imperial rule but makes more sense to just go down the list.

On 1/16/2018 at 3:48 PM, FrogTrigger said:

**** I was playing it that you skip the first move action so it would be move the big move then attack. I thought of it as imperial rule but makes more sense to just go down the list.

Were you going back to the top of the list after the last instruction? The surge priority list plays that way, but the instruction list does not.

Seems like a simple mistake to make. It probably makes for a good house rule, though.

Edited by Uninvited Guest
On 2018-01-18 at 9:36 AM, Uninvited Guest said:

Were you going back to the top of the list after the last instruction? The surge priority list plays that way, but the instruction list does not.

Seems like a simple mistake to make. It probably makes for a good house rule, though.

No if it was say:

move 2 and attack X

move 2 to reposition 4

move 9 to re position 4

If I could t attack with the first one I'd go to the second one and if that wasn't enough movement to get in attack range I would skip it, move the 9 then still get the attack. Just thinking about it as an imperial player. But it makes more sense to follow the progression of list. But what if two won't get you that reposition? Then shouldn't you skip it anyway ?

You only go through the list once. And you never skip Reposition instructions.

So, if move 2 doesn't produce a valid target for an attack, the figure would first get 2 closer (Move 2 to reposition 4), whether that brings the figure within 4 spaces of the target or not, then moves 9 to reposition 4.

If Move 2 and attack is performed, then Move 2 to Reposition 4 is always performed as well as it can.

Edited by a1bert

Great thanks everyone! I think my main misunderstanding was that you do a Move x to reposition y instruction regardless of if you can actually reposition to y. It all makes sense to me now.

I thought you did skip reposition instructions if it didn't 'change the game state'. So for example if the stromtooper was adjacent to a hero, then the only options to move 2 left the stromtrooper still adjacent to a hero then it gets skipped and you go to the move 6 to reposition 4.

On 1/21/2018 at 8:32 AM, Loosie said:

I thought you did skip reposition instructions if it didn't 'change the game state'. So for example if the stromtooper was adjacent to a hero, then the only options to move 2 left the stromtrooper still adjacent to a hero then it gets skipped and you go to the move 6 to reposition 4.

In your example, if moving the stormtrooper 2 meant it would be in a different space, even if it were still adjacent to a hero, I feel like this changes the game state. Not sure if that's what you meant.

Yeah I agree that does change the game state. I suppose if 2 movement points isn't enough to get anywhere (i.e. surrounded by rebels two spaces deep in every direction) it would get skipped? This was my initial confusion as you'd go to the move 6 command then what was the point of the move 2 command. But as discussed above the result is if the trooper is waaayyy out of combat this gives him 8 movement points to get in there for the next round.