Balancing/Stating a custom ship

By Samuel Richard, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

So after finding a cool picture of a fandom ship online, I made stats for it. After reading the original forum post I thought it was too much of a Merry Sue of a ship so I threw in some detriments due to it being a prototype in my version. Can I have some thoughts on the stats?

My stats- http://swsheets.com/v/pn2tt3lof-the-blazing-dag

Original Forum Post- http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5087&sid=eb884e9c0b60ee4e1aae63151152bb7a

34 minutes ago, Samuel Richard said:

So after finding a cool picture of a fandom ship online, I made stats for it. After reading the original forum post I thought it was too much of a Merry Sue of a ship so I threw in some detriments due to it being a prototype in my version. Can I have some thoughts on the stats?

My stats- http://swsheets.com/v/pn2tt3lof-the-blazing-dag

Original Forum Post- http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5087&sid=eb884e9c0b60ee4e1aae63151152bb7a

Drop the HT to 60,

Drop one tractor beam projector

Drop 2 light turbolasers

Drop 1 proton torpedo launcher, put the other on a turret.

I didn't check what you listed for hard points but I would say either 2 or 3.

Prototype:

1 Despair or 5 threat from piloting, gunnery, and mechanics checks may be spent to trigger a critical hit on the ship. Add 2 setback dice to checks made to repair the ship.

14 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Drop the HT to 60,

Drop one tractor beam projector

Drop 2 light turbolasers

Drop 1 proton torpedo launcher, put the other on a turret.

I didn't check what you listed for hard points but I would say either 2 or 3.

Prototype:

1 Despair or 5 threat from piloting, gunnery, and mechanics checks may be spent to trigger a critical hit on the ship. Add 2 setback dice to checks made to repair the ship.

adding that

Might be the slightest bit nitpicky but Medium Turbolasers are locked to a minimum silhouette of six without the oversized weapons mount. Also on the image provided, I don't see where this second dorsal dual medium turbolaser would be mounted, I would just drop it because the ship seems tremendously overarmed anyway, especially given that it has a speed of 4 with an armor of 6 (for reference Armor 6 is the same amount on a much larger dedicated warship).

11 hours ago, BipolarJuice said:

Might be the slightest bit nitpicky but Medium Turbolasers are locked to a minimum silhouette of six without the oversized weapons mount. Also on the image provided, I don't see where this second dorsal dual medium turbolaser would be mounted, I would just drop it because the ship seems tremendously overarmed anyway, especially given that it has a speed of 4 with an armor of 6 (for reference Armor 6 is the same amount on a much larger dedicated warship).

This is a warship. Armor = Sil is a respectable "corvette"/"merchant marine" (dual function) number. For a dedicated Sil 5 warship, which I got the impression this is, Sil 5 or 6 is acceptable.

1 hour ago, EliasWindrider said:

This is a warship. Armor = Sil is a respectable "corvette"/"merchant marine" (dual function) number. For a dedicated Sil 5 warship, which I got the impression this is, Sil 5 or 6 is acceptable.

It would literally have heavier armor or euqal than most Sil 6 warships and Sil 7 and those ships are on far larger scales with more space for all this extra stuff. On a very fast corvette (Speed 4) that strikes me as a bit much, I was suggesting that he either lower the armor or the speed by one point to put it on par with the other stock warships in the books. I realise it is a prototype but from the description I am led to believe it is the same size (or only marginally larger) than a CR90 and we're dealing with space limitations, jamming all these additional high power guns, heavier armor than anything but the largest of capital ships and even more engine power leaves you with minimal room for crew, power generation and the less but still needed subsystems.

However it does seem I was mistaken on the note of the medium turbolasers, it appears that the rule (from the upgrades and attachments) applies to everything by the CR90 which remains the only Sil5 ship with a medium turbolaser and seeing as this is an upgrade of sorts that'd be alright I suppose.

Edited by BipolarJuice

Just raise the silhouette to 6. Crew of 450, Armor 6!, speed 4!, 150 passengers on top. The CR90 is one of the bigger sil 5 ships. And this is declassing it in sheer volume of stuff added to it.

This seems to be a CR90 on crack, meaning the engines alone of this CR100 prototype could be half die size of the CR90, which would explain how 500 extra people and enough weapons to put a victory class star destroyer to shame fit all onto this SPEED4 AND Armor 6 monster.

Now if you want this think not be a sil6 CR100 battlecruiser, you should scale it down, either in speed (speed 2 sounds fine) or in armor, weapons, crew and passengers. Actually I don't think such a prototype should have passenger space at all, after all it's a prototype with most likely just dummy space instead of passenger cabins. ;-)

edit: Oh and most importantly … I don't think a battlecruiser is fitting the CEC CRxx line, which always had been centered around the flexibility. What you build is more like a DP20 on crack (Sil 6 DP20).

Edited by SEApocalypse