Are FFG treating its fans poorly?

By Crashw1re, in Living Card Games

I have noticed a lot of decisions recently that I think are not on and i'd like to know what other prople think. Also apologies if this has been posted somewhere else. I wasn't really sure where to post it.

Now let me start by saying that ffg makes incredible games many of which I play and deeply enjoy; armada and x wing being two favourites. I think they've done a lot for games and are always innovating.

That said the demo of Star Wars legion showing that the core box didnt even have enough dice for units in the game has peaked my concern. It was quite embarrasing watching them ask the players to remember their results and re roll the dice, this in a game that has re rolls. I know most of their games to really be functional you need two sets, but is this right? Bizarre little movement tools as well strike me as another way to sell peripherals, the tape measure has worked fine for a long time. And you could include something else if you wanted to limit turn rate on speeders ect.

Worse I feel is the new clan packs for Legend of the Five Rings LCG. I was very excited to try and get stuck into a LCG and thought the game looked good, the art incredible. I was hoping to try and get into some local tournements. However, the fact that clanpacks will have three cards that only have one copy is in my opinion ridiculous. That to get these cards I would have to pay three times and have an excess of cards I can't use just seems like increadibly cold money grabbing to me. It has really put me off getting the game, because whilst I was prepared to pay to keep up with frequent releases, I can't jusify this.

FFG make wonderful games but I feel we are being made to look like chumps. What do people think?

Edited by Crashw1re
1 hour ago, Crashw1re said:

However, the fact that clanpacks will have three cards that only have one copy is in my opinion ridiculous. That to get these cards I would have to pay three times and have an excess of cards I can't use just seems like increadibly cold money grabbing to me.

The three singleton cards are not likely to be cards you would actually put in a deck, such as the new Stronghold, the new Role, and the new Province.

Yes the one of's you only need 1. If they printed 3 of them, that would be a total of 6 cards you wouldn't need. They are actually being more efficient then they have been in the past.

the shortage of dice on the other hand is bothersome

Ah thats alright then, that actually rekindles my interest in the game. I thought it would be similar to the core sets not having everything.

13 hours ago, Crashw1re said:

Ah thats alright then, that actually rekindles my interest in the game. I thought it would be similar to the core sets not having everything.

The Core sets not having everything is a separate issue at least when it comes to an LCG. If you take the total number of cards a CS can hold and give a full play set of all of them, you wind up with a remarkable impoverished card pool in regards to how many cards by title there are. It turns out to be a **** evperience for a new player because there’s no flexibility or variety or deckbuilding options out of the box.

if you reduce the card counts, then people still need to buy more Core sets, but it wastes money because you get a lot of redundancy.

so the best way to go turns out to be the L5R/AGOT model and fill it with mostly 1x cards because if people must buy more Core sets, then they ought to make those subsequent purchases be a better value—and they increase the overall card count of the metagame at the outset by doing so.

i don’t play Destiny but I rather suspect the same kind of constraints are applying themselves. If you can only put x dice in a box, it would make sense to make that X as varied as possible.