*SPOILER* Is Weiss in the core LOTA campaign?

By FrogTrigger, in Legends of the Alliance

I never bothered to buy Weiss because I just proxied the AT-ST, but I hated not having 100% on the app for content owned :) and my store had a great boxing day sale so I grabbed him. Just wondering if I should bust my but to paint him or not, we're only a few missions in and won't be playing again for a few weeks so I have the time. I don't mind the spoiler as I will have no idea where, when or how he appears.

I just want to know if there is a chance of seeing him or not in the campaign as that will dictate where he falls in my painting queue. Thanks!

There is a chance of seeing him. If you have "lost" your General Weiss token, then off to paint you go.

Thanks!

If you already have your ATST painted, you can just paint Weiss' head and side Guns if you want to save time, they are compatible with the base ATST figure.

Paint all the things.

:D

But I would add that I found painting Weiss' AT-ST to be a little tedious. Enough so that I've sidelined the regular AT-ST for now.

I actually really enjoyed the AT-ST, plus I don't think much else can be more tedious than the Rancor and Bantha, lol.

On 12/30/2017 at 10:34 AM, Tvboy said:

If you already have your ATST painted, you can just paint Weiss' head and side Guns if you want to save time, they are compatible with the base ATST figure.

Everyone I've ever met would have glued those in if the AT-ST was painted. You (or players in your area) might be unorthodox in your modelling practices.

I have not painted my AT-STs yet. Seems like it would be huge PIA to transport if you couldn't disassemble the thing. But I guess that's not an issue if you're only playing at home and not having to lug all your minis to the game store or people's houses.

What is the reasoning for gluing the thing together when it's painted?

55 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

I have not painted my AT-STs yet. Seems like it would be huge PIA to transport if you couldn't disassemble the thing. But I guess that's not an issue if you're only playing at home and not having to lug all your minis to the game store or people's houses.

Because it's a lot easier to paint, and it's not that hard to lug around. It still fits in the base game box standing up just fine. Here's mine with some stormtroopers and royal guards in the background/foreground, it's not that huge:

FrCtUrU.jpg

[ pypHW2f.jpg

Edited by mdl0114
spoilerbuttons
12 minutes ago, mdl0114 said:

Because it's a lot easier to paint, and it's not that hard to lug around. It still fits in the base game box standing up just fine. Here's mine with some stormtroopers and royal guards in the background/foreground, it's not that huge:

[ pypHW2f.jpg

I don't understand how having all the pieces glued together makes it easier to paint, all the pieces lock in without glue and it seems like being able to remove pieces to get into the narrow spaces between would make painting easier.

I have every expansion for this game. I'm far past being able to fit everything in the Core box. Transporting 2 fully constructed AT-STs would increase my current storage by about 25%. Might just be a case of different strokes for different folks.

5 hours ago, Tvboy said:

It stores and travels just fine in my dedicated IA battlefoam case. It fits in a super thick layer, shared with several large beasties and the grav tank. Weiss and the rancor fit together on another very thick layer. I believe the whole case and all it's foam together retail for $100. I was able to fit IA core set, two large expansions, one small, all the clampacks pertaining thereto*, and a few extra clampacks of stuff I just liked the theme of, for my skirmish armies. The case is smallish, being oblong and standing taller than it is wide. I don't know any proper terminology when it comes to battlefoam and its ilk though.

Taking those super tightly fitting pieces on and off after painting will chip them pretty fast even with primer and varnish. Some of them I even had to shave down with an x-acto knife to get them to fit together in the first place. If storage was an issue I could see magnetizing them but that seems like too much work for me!

*I didn't actually buy Rebel Saboteurs or IG Champion, I gave their slots away to other things I liked. But I could've fit them if I hadn't wanted lots of extra rebel Hoth stuff. I actually still could fit one or the other: I have two empty infantry sized slots left! But the truth is I just am not excited about the figures.

7 hours ago, Tvboy said:

I don't understand how having all the pieces glued together makes it easier to paint, all the pieces lock in without glue and it seems like being able to remove pieces to get into the narrow spaces between would make painting easier.

I have every expansion for this game. I'm far past being able to fit everything in the Core box. Transporting 2 fully constructed AT-STs would increase my current storage by about 25%. Might just be a case of different strokes for different folks.

Not having to handle all the individual pieces by having it on the base made it easier for one, didn’t get any primer stuck in the various holes clogging up where stuff needs to go, and for me it helped having the legs and chin gun attached for painting it to get the coloring and shading right with the rest of the top, though a more experienced painter might be fine without that crutch.

If you can paint it fine dry fitted and not glued that’s great too, whatever works for you better. For me it was remarkably easy to paint fitted in together, and having the base attached meant I didn’t have to handle the rest of the figure while painting it. If your storage solution for the game requires a disassembled AT-ST or Rancor for example then cool, do what works best for you and your situation!

So Weiss showed up

mission four, haven't played mission five yet so please don't comment on it.

Weiss showed up in the final room, we are playing on hard and he spawned with r and e e web, r and e storm troopers, r trandoshan, e officer, e probe droid. Plus his two turrets that heal him and give attacks. We ended up taking him within 2 health for the win but he injured our last hero. I had two attacks on him with Jyn and whiffed them both, that was the difference.

Was cool to see him show up and I did get him painted in time, one of my better and more fun paint jobs as well, but the end was very frustrating lol. Seemed like overkill by the app, but we asked for hard I guess. Did everyone else get this? How did you win it?

1 hour ago, FrogTrigger said:

So Weiss showed up

Weiss showed up in the final room, we are playing on hard and he spawned with r and e e web, r and e storm troopers, r trandoshan, e officer, e probe droid. Plus his two turrets that heal him and give attacks. We ended up taking him within 2 health for the win but he injured our last hero. I had two attacks on him with Jyn and whiffed them both, that was the difference.

Was cool to see him show up and I did get him painted in time, one of my better and more fun paint jobs as well, but the end was very frustrating lol. Seemed like overkill by the app, but we asked for hard I guess. Did everyone else get this? How did you win it?

*Spoiler*

First post and I don’t know how to make a hidden tag, sorry.

We played the same mission last night on hard with Mak, Vinto, Shyla, and Gideon, winning with Vinto withdrawn, Shyla wounded with 3 health left, Gideon unwounded with 1 health and mak untouched. We took out our traitor officer before he got to the hanger, and didn’t have near as many bad guys show up in the hanger as you. The only hero to enter the hanger was our already wounded Vinto to take out the power generators, and the rest of us played hit and run staying out of line of sight, forcing Weiss to come to us. Mak has been amazing in defense for our campaign because of disengage and covert, making it almost impossible for the imps to shoot him. He has never been wounded. We definitely take advantage of positioning to give the IA the least valuable shot, forcing them to shoot already wounded heroes because they cannot reach the healthy ones.

7 hours ago, FrogTrigger said:

So Weiss showed up

I played as Biv and Diala and had Han as an ally...

Weiss showed up with a slew of other figures. It seemed a bit ridiculous how many Imperial figures were on the board at one time and in one spot. The two heroes just stayed adjacent to Han for protection and basically just ignored everything else and focused attacks on Weiss. He went down pretty quickly.

25 minutes ago, dwaynedauzat said:

I played as Biv and Diala and had Han as an ally...

Weiss showed up with a slew of other figures. It seemed a bit ridiculous how many Imperial figures were on the board at one time and in one spot. The two heroes just stayed adjacent to Han for protection and basically just ignored everything else and focused attacks on Weiss. He went down pretty quickly.

I think not upgrading Jyns weapon hurt us, we also try not to QB other people's turns and with four people you can get some drastically different ideas going on... so conflicting strategies was not a good thing either. Was still a fun mission.

To be honest, it was my least favorite mission. There were WAY too many other Imperial figures to even try and attack. It seemed impossible and a waste of time trying to destroy the tokens that help Weiss. The only logical thing for me to do was to focus solely on Weiss. He basically just stood there and fired back. All the other enemies were so crammed together it was silly. It was a bit boring and I feel it could have been designed a little better. The campaign overall was great though.

Edited by dwaynedauzat

Weiss cannot activate if there are no stations left, so getting those down is the priority. Yes, I managed it but with normal. There were still some issue with Trandoshans blocking line of sight to the stations.

18 hours ago, a1bert said:

Weiss cannot activate if there are no stations left, so getting those down is the priority. Yes, I managed it but with normal. There were still some issue with Trandoshans blocking line of sight to the stations.

Wait say that again, he can't activate if the stations are down? In our game he was activating after we killed both stations... if this was the case then we very clearly would have won that mission.

Did we miss something big? Or him still attacking might depend on story choice points up until this or difficulty setting? Because he was getting two smaller attacks each turn plus healing with the stations, then an actual activation where he was moving and attacking.

It's possible that I misremember the mechanism. In the least the stations gave him extra activations, so getting rid of the stations made him manageable.

6 hours ago, a1bert said:

It's possible that I misremember the mechanism. In the least the stations gave him extra activations, so getting rid of the stations made him manageable.

As I recall each station gave him an activation in addition to his regular activation.

He wasn't that bad from what I recall, but I had Loku with the Hunter's Rifle, the Disruption Cell, and Diala and MHD keeping him focused. Vinto handled the angry mob quite well.

In my case, having Han as an ally, it was better for me to just keep the heroes adjacent to him for the added protection as opposed to moving away towards the stations. Also, one of the stations, i believe, was blocked by the heaping pile of enemies. It just made more sense for me to spend my actions and attacks on Weiss himself instead of wasting them on the stations or other enemies. I just didn't like the idea of filling a small room half full with figures. It made movements pretty pointless/impossible for both Rebel and Imperial figures. Very few figures on either side did (or were unable to do) any moving. Perhaps replacing the horde with few more powerful enemies or some other element of challenge would have been more appreciated.

Follow up question, again please keep it spoiler free, but how long did it take you to play the final mission? My group has 2 different campaigns that are there and just wondering if we can get through both in one night.

We accomplished the last two missions in one night. I figure we started about 6pm, and wound down a little before midnight. Plenty of time for table-talk and analyzing (and re-analyzing) most of our decisions.

Thanks what I meant was we have two separate campaigns that are at the finale and we're wanting to finish both in the same night. That's why I was curious what was the time to play just the finale.