attack skill timing

By Susanooo, in Runewars Rules Questions

I cant find it in the rules. We all agree that moment of inspiration must be used before a roll. But what about death grasp contition and other effects? Do i have to apply death grasp before i roll the dice or can i do it afterwards?

When an ability is preceeded by a melee attack or ranged attack symbol, it happens WHEN the attack happens. Looking up "when" in the rules reference, we see that the ability will happen the moment the attack happens and cannot occur again. Some people (like me) take that to mean it triggers as soon as the attack starts. Others (like Tvayamut) see it as happening at any step of combat, but it can only be used once for that combat. Tvayamut's interpretation allows the game to flow smoothly, while my interpretation causes strange interactions, so I think most people operate under his interpretation. Still, I wish FFG would clarify this issue.

Section 51 of the Rules Reference says that if an effect adds dice to the pool, it must happen before the "roll dice" step. So you can't exhaust Moment of Inspiration to add a white die once you have rolled.

Obcasium's Gauntlet can be exhausted at any time during the attack.

I always apply my dice additions before rolling, deaths grasp I usually do as a "and have this as well" thing. I forget to tap MOI until after the attack a regrettable amount of times?.

On 12/27/2017 at 8:29 PM, Budgernaut said:

When an ability is preceeded by a melee attack or ranged attack symbol, it happens WHEN the attack happens. Looking up "when" in the rules reference, we see that the ability will happen the moment the attack happens and cannot occur again. Some people (like me) take that to mean it triggers as soon as the attack starts. Others (like Tvayamut) see it as happening at any step of combat, but it can only be used once for that combat. Tvayamut's interpretation allows the game to flow smoothly, while my interpretation causes strange interactions, so I think most people operate under his interpretation. Still, I wish FFG would clarify this issue.

I've asked them about it with regards to column tactics, as by yours it is before roll, tvays you could apply it after the roll is seen (makes it even better). Haven't read the new FAQ yet to see if they tackled that.