SO, You want to Paint some Rebel Fighters...

By Drasnighta, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

Apologies for the dumb question (especially if I missed the explanation elsewhere) but would you mind explaining how you are mounting your squadrons while you prime and paint them?

5 hours ago, D.Erasmus said:

Apologies for the dumb question (especially if I missed the explanation elsewhere) but would you mind explaining how you are mounting your squadrons while you prime and paint them?

It’s a piece of PVC pipe with a smaller diameter than tie fighter wingspan.

in that, I’ve drilled holes to just mount them while priming and basic painting.

When paining hero fighters and one offs, I had a pipe with the right diameter to just singke nountbtget way people use qtips.. but my little man stole it one day (with my spare junomaster) and it was never seen again... so after priming, when I’m detsil painting single models, I’m either using the same pipe as priming, or input them on an irregular squadron stand peg and go from there... nothing special, completely ghetto ?

I dunno if its my end or your end, but the majority of your pictures aren't displaying for me.

1 hour ago, Chucknuckle said:

I dunno if its my end or your end, but the majority of your pictures aren't displaying for me.

I’ve been trying to get them set up on a 3rd party host as Facebook retires links after a while.

But its really hard as my home internet is... sporadic... I had 12 disconnects while trying to upload one 2mb picture yesterday.

but I’ll make a big deal of when it’s done .

Just now, Drasnighta said:

But its really hard as my home internet is... sporadic... I had 12 disconnects while trying to upload one 2mb picture yesterday.

Ugh.

Just now, Drasnighta said:

but I’ll make a big deal of when it’s done .

Please do :)

Could you suggest a GW equivalent for the base white (ish) imperial lambda shuttles?

8 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

Could you suggest a GW equivalent for the base white (ish) imperial lambda shuttles?

When painting white with GW you really only have one choice if you don’t want to just go pure white all the time...

Ulthuan Grey is a very light grey that can be highlighted with White Scar as a mix, with pure white scar as a final edge.

Wash with a mix of Nuln oil and medium, with just a drop of drakenhof nightshade.

3 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

When painting white with GW you really only have one choice if you don’t want to just go pure white all the time...

Ulthuan Grey is a very light grey that can be highlighted with White Scar as a mix, with pure white scar as a final edge.

Wash with a mix of Nuln oil and medium, with just a drop of drakenhof nightshade.

Thanks for the tips ??

Do you use any sort of finishing lacquer or sealant to protect your paint jobs? My squadrons get used regularly but I’m worried that the wrong sealant could make the whole thing look “off”

always varnish anything I paint. It gets a bit Yellowish after 25 years, but else paint get stripped, chipped, dulled in less than 10

I used to Use GW Purity Seal. It’s matte enough.

these days, much the same with munitorum varnish, it’s replacement.

For things that are super handled and need to be hard wearing, orvare metal in particular, then I’ll hit with a decent coating of gloss varnish, then layer a coat of matte over the top to dull it down. When I was doing things semi pro back home in Australia, that was usually a hardware store gloss followed by testors dullcote.

PICS updated in Original Postings. Hopefully Permanent Now!

Posting to the front page due to a resurgence in popularity.