Painting an Uthuk Y'llan Set (Progress So Far)

By Kruger40k, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

I just wanted to share my painting progress for some Uthuk Y'llan minis i have been painting.

If you guys have and feed back please leave a reply i would like to know what you all think! :)

Half of my berserkers are done:

989TEy0l.jpg

My flesh rippers are done:

7QrPIVgl.jpg

Here is a grotesque and a shriekerthat i finished from the command units:

r6cgXWdl.jpg U8w0sYbl.jpg

It seems like it is taking me forever to paint them all but at least i am nearing the half way point XD

Thanks for checking out my progress.

Edited by Kruger40k

Excellent work! They look great!

You are inspiring me to go back and do red eyes.

These look fantastic! The shading on all of them is impressive, but the Grotesque steals the show for me. Excellent work! What did you use for a shade/wash (assuming you used that technique).

1 hour ago, Adun42 said:

Excellent work! They look great!

You are inspiring me to go back and do red eyes.

57 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

These look fantastic! The shading on all of them is impressive, but the Grotesque steals the show for me. Excellent work! What did you use for a shade/wash (assuming you used that technique).

Wow, thanks so much guys!

The eyes are lava orange with a dot of demonic yellow

For the skin i didn't do a shade (first time doing skin by hand) i did it all in layers starting with uniform grey then jumping straight up to ash grey and then adding white to my ash grey for the last highlights.

The grotesque is my favorite too... its obvious i spent extra time on him by the way he turned out.

P.S. I use army painter brand paints...i forgot to mention that when listing the colors.

Edited by Kruger40k
2 hours ago, Kruger40k said:

For the skin i didn't do a shade (first time doing skin by hand) i did it all in layers starting with uniform grey then jumping straight up to ash grey and then adding white to my ash grey for the last highlights.

The grotesque is my favorite too... its obvious i spent extra time on him by the way he turned out.

P.S. I use army painter brand paints...i forgot to mention that when listing the colors.

Right on. I used this technique for the first time on my Ankaur Maro, and I was really impressed with how he turned out (though he's not nearly as clean as your Grotesque). I guess there are aspects about washes/shades that I really like, even though the layering technique ends up looking better. For example, I don't care that my Reanimates have brown grunge all over them because they are covered in dirt and rust, and it sure saves time painting all of them.

1 minute ago, Parakitor said:

Right on. I used this technique for the first time on my Ankaur Maro, and I was really impressed with how he turned out (though he's not nearly as clean as your Grotesque). I guess there are aspects about washes/shades that I really like, even though the layering technique ends up looking better. For example, I don't care that my Reanimates have brown grunge all over them because they are covered in dirt and rust, and it sure saves time painting all of them.

I thought the same with my Uthuks cloth parts... they are bad-*** wild savages so i thought if their shredded cloth parts don't look perfectly clean then i can blame it on the way they live ;P

Nice work, great skin tones

Nice work, great skin tones

I've got Army Painter, too, and was contemplating doing something similar for the skin color. I really like how your figures turned out so I think I'll steal that technique. My figures may end up looking very similar to yours. :D

4 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I've got Army Painter, too, and was contemplating doing something similar for the skin color. I really like how your figures turned out so I think I'll steal that technique. My figures may end up looking very similar to yours. :D

Ha, I just did my best to copy the concept art and box art. Mine turned out more pale and less blue, but i think i like it better, It reminds me of Kratos from God Of War.

These are very nicely painted. And actually finished too! ;)

I have to second the heavier wash on the cloth. The extra dirty look fits the Uthuk like a glove.

Thanks for all the kind words guys

Here is a little update of 5 more minis I completed...

I was struggling to get pics without shadows over the faces so i am sorry about the bad angles.

4 more berserkers done:

xNu9h6Tl.jpg

The Warsprinter:

wUS5dpIl.jpg jqQDXcql.jpg

Fantastic Warsprinter! I love the contrast between his dark face and white outlines around his eyes and mouth!

I finally finished the Spined Thresher.

It is so hard to take good picuters of minis, the skin highlights seem to look bad in the photos :(

WiKNRsBl.jpg PSQT28gl.jpg

Sorry for the double post but i finished more minis :D

More Berserkers:

dYfS9nCl.jpg 9HUHaa4l.jpg

The Witch:

iLS5NMul.jpg aUZ4Cxkl.jpg

I only have one more mini to do and it is the big boy Ravos

Edited by Kruger40k

Beautiful!

Out of curiosity, what do you use for primer?

7 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Beautiful!

Out of curiosity, what do you use for primer?

Thanks!

For the minis i used Army Painter Dragon Red in the spray can. For the trays i used a brush on primer.

Edited by Kruger40k

I am finally done! ... I know its not a 200 point army but i didn't have enough money to build the full army....yet

Ravos:

yfoDMiOl.jpg 6h3tFHZl.jpg

Excellent work!

Congrats on finishing what you have! That must feel so good! I have my Flesh Rippers primed so far ... that's it. :(

16 hours ago, Kruger40k said:

I am finally done! ... I know its not a 200 point army but i didn't have enough money to build the full army....yet

Ravos:

yfoDMiOl.jpg 6h3tFHZl.jpg

15 hours ago, Uthoroc said:

Excellent work!

I concur, Excellent work!!

15 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Congrats on finishing what you have! That must feel so good! I have my Flesh Rippers primed so far ... that's it. :(

I feel you. I have 2 armies, both of which are primed, but only a few of the skellies have actual paint.