Ranged attack and caps after death

By ZeVaidas, in Fallout

1. During the ranged attack from the monster - does the character retaliates even if he doesn't have ranged weapon? I understand he suffers additional point of damage if he doesn't have the weapon, but does he still hit back?

2. According to rules after death character looses all items in his inventory. What about caps?

1) Yes, you can still kill a monster that attacks you at range. I've been assuming the bonus damage is the damage you take while running up to it to bonk it on the head.

2) You lose all unequipped items only .

Thanks, just as I thought, just wanted reassurance.

Gosh, I've been playing without the retaliation. Given how much landscape each "space" on the board takes up, I figure any enemy with a long-range weapon could take potshots at will when I'm unarmed. Sure, in the Fallout video game, I've rushed at bullet-slinging enemies with my fists flying, but that's only over a relatively short distance. If someone is hundreds of feet away, could I really stand a chance at melee?

Mind you, this did leave me with the conundrum of getting loot bags from enemies that I took down from long range.

On 18/12/2017 at 6:10 PM, ZeVaidas said:

1. During the ranged attack from the monster - does the character retaliates even if he doesn't have ranged weapon? I understand he suffers additional point of damage if he doesn't have the weapon, but does he still hit back?

2. According to rules after death character looses all items in his inventory. What about caps?

1. You still get to fight and kill/loot the enemy. On a side note I thought when one doesn't have a range weapon and one does then it generates one extra hit not an extra damage?

2. Caps are kept in your play area not your inventory so you don't lose them.

It does generate an extra hit, so if a level 3 monster gets has ranged and you don't, that would eventually translate into 3 damage, or so I believe.