Research Questionnaire - Please Assist

By Anon9k, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi, I'm a gaming student needing some market research in the board games area. Can you please help by filling this in to the best of your abilities and replying here in this thread.

-----------------

What age are you?

What gender are you?

Have you played any of Fantasy Flight's Descent games?

What other board games do you frequently play?

How often do you play board games?

- Everyday
- More than once a week
- Once a week
- Once a month
- Longer

How long do you board game sessions usually last?

- 1 hour or less
- 1-2 hours
- 2-4 hours
- 4 hours or longer

Do you prefer to play as a Game Master or a player?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how important do you feel these gameplay elements are to an enjoyable board game?
(1 being useless, 10 being crucial.)

Dice Rolls -

Statistics -

Equipment -

Skills/Spells/Abilities -

Game Models -

Player Turns -

Personal Card Decks (if cards are a gameplay element) -

Dynamic board (environment changes as you play) -

Story -

Cooperation -

Competition -

Please follow with any extra comments can think of regarding your board game play and enjoyment of board games:

Anon9k said:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how important do you feel these gameplay elements are to an enjoyable board game?

This looks like the main question in your survey, but I don't think I can possibly answer it. I suspect every one of those things can be anything from indispensable to actively harmful depending on how it's used and the nature of the game.

The quality of the game isn't determined primarily by some ingredient list of mechanics, but by its structure; how the pieces interact.

Also, I'm not entirely sure what some of the things in your list are referring to, so there are practical barriers to answering it completely separate from my philosophical soapbox.

Aaaa yes the subtle difference between what your professor wants and how the real word works.