Sexism.....Sexism never changes......

By Bibbles, in Fallout

1 hour ago, crow-flash said:

...Only thing shallow here your post. :rolleyes: :lol:

...R..i..ght... :huh: ...How old are you???

I'm not sure I really understand what you think you're managing to achieve by repeatedly making these strange attempts at insulting people to support your argument... Is it some sort of "so there" come back or just a way to derail an argument into a weird slagging match?

3 hours ago, player2017979 said:

I'm not sure I really understand what you think you're managing to achieve by repeatedly making these strange attempts at insulting people to support your argument... Is it some sort of "so there" come back or just a way to derail an argument into a weird slagging match?

your insulting people that post on this thread. Don't act like you don't talk down to people or act like a smartass. This is not even about sexism. Your just trolling new people with your b.s. ?

every time someone post with something you don't agree with, it's that can't you see this might be sexist line of crap. I really don't care what you think. More power too you. But you preaching on your soapbox is old and tired. No one's here not for women in games. Yet you've made it like it's this whole thread vs 2 people. If you really believe in this and your not trolling pick a better fight.

Your fight is not with fantasy flight games. Or anyone here on the forms. Maybe refocus that to a company etc that is sexist. I just want to be clear I support women in games. I'm down for everyone having fun. I don't think there are barriers in board games.

If you think there are, or find a game has a gender gap and it bugs you. Maybe that says the problem is with you. I've played with women who just want to be a guy token. Or they like the almost nude mini girl. Or maybe they want to be something not human. Same with guys.

I'm not looking to fight with you. But your very pushy.it Just rubs people the wrong way online. If your not troll then go fight against real sexism. Cause there's none here.

What I will say is for sure a troll is the op posted this and never looked back.

I've said my peace on this matter.

Just ignore this guy not worth our time.

Edited by crow-flash

...O...K...??? :huh:

I'm not sure why you're so pissed about people disagreeing with you?

As I said before and will keep saying, someone came on and said they thought it was a bit sexist to only have one girl to choose from and I agreed... What I didn't understand, and still don't, is why people are so aggravated by the suggestion that someone else might think that it seems sexist to only have one seemingly female character?

I would at this point like to share an Indiana Jones quote:

"We could at least behave like civilized people!"

5 hours ago, crow-flash said:

your insulting people that post on this thread. Don't act like you don't talk down to people or act like a smartass. This is not even about sexism. Your just trolling new people with your b.s. ?

every time someone post with something you don't agree with, it's that can't you see this might be sexist line of crap. I really don't care what you think. More power too you. But you preaching on your soapbox is old and tired. No one's here not for women in games. Yet you've made it like it's this whole thread vs 2 people. If you really believe in this and your not trolling pick a better fight.

Your fight is not with fantasy flight games. Or anyone here on the forms. Maybe refocus that to a company etc that is sexist. I just want to be clear I support women in games. I'm down for everyone having fun. I don't think there are barriers in board games.

If you think there are, or find a game has a gender gap and it bugs you. Maybe that says the problem is with you. I've played with women who just want to be a guy token. Or they like the almost nude mini girl. Or maybe they want to be something not human. Same with guys.

I'm not looking to fight with you. But your very pushy.it Just rubs people the wrong way online. If your not troll then go fight against real sexism. Cause there's none here.

What I will say is for sure a troll is the op posted this and never looked back.

I've said my peace on this matter.

Just ignore this guy not worth our time.

I think it might be difficult to tell people you think they're supporting a morally questionable position without it coming across as "talking down to" them, but that doesn't mean arguments about moral issues should never be had does it?

Your argument basically seems to be that player2017979 less less right to make his case than you do. You're complaining about them making their case, telling people to ignore them, calling them a troll, but you continue to argue your side - how's that fair?

Still No female gamers have said they are bothered .. something I would expect to happen very quickly with the title of this thread, that says it all for me.

Just no point when the Social Justice Brigade .. or maybe Trolls? arrive

I will throw away all my Lara Croft things today, how stupid i have been, a male having anything to do with such a Sexist female centric franchise, i should have been demanding more male characters in that for years.

I'm done with this thread

I for one would actually NOT expect any women that take offence by the low count of visibly female characters to air their oppinions here. It would, to me, seem more likely that those women would stay away from any forum for such a game for precisely the reasons that have been made abundantly clear in the 5 pages of posts in this subject. (Which, btw, makes this the thread with most responses of all threads in the forum of this game.)

3 hours ago, Slash Macbain said:

Still No female gamers have said they are bothered .. something I would expect to happen very quickly with the title of this thread, that says it all for me.

Just no point when the Social Justice Brigade .. or maybe Trolls? arrive

I will throw away all my Lara Croft things today, how stupid i have been, a male having anything to do with such a Sexist female centric franchise, i should have been demanding more male characters in that for years.

I'm done with this thread

Were you ever actually engaging with this thread? You just keep repeating this line about not having any women complaining as though it means something, despite this point having been addressed several times.

8 hours ago, Slash Macbain said:

Ok, I think that this might be part of where we're getting a lot of the push back about this idea of sexism. I know I'm probably going to come across condescending (and like a smart ***?) but that is not my intention so please try and read past that idea...

So, this idea that something can be sexist against a man in this context doesn't really work as an equivalence argument and this is because of the power dynamic involved in this hobby. So as far as I understand it, until the power dynamic is addressed (ie men and women are routinely represented equally.. which fortunately is starting to happen more an more...), sexism isn't really something that can happen to men because of our inherent position of empowered representation (ie we are massively, in numbers and characterisation, and sometimes hilariously, over represented and women tend to generally be more objectified and less represented... think the recent Conan Kickstarter... women don't need clothes in battle! :P ).

Yes, there are great examples where this is not the case and that is awesome, but unfortunately whilst things are improving, female representation remains significantly less than male representation. So I guess with that in mind, it also works the other way... it is way easier for something to be sexist for a woman simply because of the level of imbalance to begin with.

It's still a fun game, FFG aren't evil, it just would've been nice to have more female characters to choose from to help remove the idea that this hobby is just a boys club.

On 2/20/2018 at 6:07 PM, player2017979 said:

....sexism isn't really something that can happen to men because of our inherent position of empowered representation (ie we are massively, in numbers and characterisation, and sometimes hilariously, over represented and women tend to generally be more objectified and less represented... think the recent Conan Kickstarter... women don't need clothes in battle! :P ).

I can't agree with you here. At all. I understand what you are trying to say but it comes out all wrong. Sexism IS something that can happen to men. To be fair, it isn't NEARLY as prevalent as it is with women but you can't dismiss it. To do so is to justify it's use.

I haven't seen the Conan Kickstarter but knowing Conan, I am sure just about everyone is half naked, lol. Just take a look at their PC game where you could resize your character's..... appendage... :rolleyes:

Yeah you are right Xcoco, it is possible to be sexist against men on some issues, not many, and not really in this context ... As I said earlier, sexism is much more about power inequity than anything else.

The Conan PC game sounds even more hilarious than the board game! I wonder if the designers were ...compensating for something? :lol:

On 12/15/2017 at 6:33 AM, stenmur said:

Why do you believe the person in the armor suite is male?

I see it as 2 out of 5

With the expansion:

- Two armored guys with unknown sex.

- One ghoul with unknown sex (probably male, because who would vilify a woman? :P ).

- One Super Mutant with unknown sex (probably female, as she looks like she is missing her rolling pin and awaiting for me to come home from the public house).

- One Robot (just because it is called "Mr. Handy" doesn't mean it has a gender).

- Three Females (Gunslinger, Ranger, Wastelander).

- Two Males (Vault Dweller, Merchant).

Looks to me the males are in the loosing side here.

Besides the point, I really can't see why playing with male token is a problem to your ladies as playing with the clearly female NCR Ranger is no problem to me? Perhaps you should get some more "mature" lady friends to play with?

On 12/16/2017 at 3:22 AM, Hedgehobbit said:

Based on some of the reaction in the various games, I always assumed that a ghoul's naughty bits were still fully functional .

How so? Canonically ghouls lived long, but there was no indication of reproduction.

Physically if they have been exposed to LOT of radiation, they being able to reproduce is of the table, as radiation tends to damage your reproductive capabilities first.

Female ghouls might still have their "holes" intact and even have some feelings down there too, but I doubt if their male counterparts would have their "smallies" in as good shape as their skins that they would be able to pump blood down there or feel anything trough the cinders. More likely it would have fallen completely off from them with the other rotting flesh...

On 1/30/2018 at 2:49 AM, Julia said:

Equal representation of sexes in a game? Yes, and this has nothing to do with what a group might or might not like.

First world problems: How dare somebody paint or sculpt more males than females...

RAISE THE BARRICADES!

2 hours ago, Atros010 said:

First world problems: How dare somebody paint or sculpt more males than females...

RAISE THE BARRICADES!

Besides the point, I really can't see why playing with male token is a problem to your ladies as playing with the clearly female NCR Ranger is no problem to me? Perhaps you should get some more "mature" lady friends to play with?

Hahaha.. these posts are all pretty old, but a lot of what was said at the time was about the evolution of gaming to include more women.

While you are right, gaming is a very first world hobby, the point of the conversation was talking about the inclusion of more women in our stories and cultural expression to be more inclusive. This filters through societies, so saying "hey can we have more female characters in our games" is like saying that it's time we moved on from old school boys clubs in society and recognize that men and women should be equally represented doing similar things in our culture.

Anyway, FF responded in their expansion to include more than one overtly female character, so I guess they thought it wouldn't hurt to mix it up a bit (and no the girls that I play with really don't care what the sex of the character they are playing is, just that they get a choice that reflects more than including one "token" girl).