Floor tiles in future updates maybe? ?

By alexbobspoons, in Legends of the Alliance

Hmm

So I'm wishing if future updates will contain alternate maps from the expansions tiles.

The app lists upcoming things such as enemy groups and such but doesn't mention floor tiles. If would be a shame if they were not used.

Descent manages this by having side missions added with expansions and the use the tiles but as far add I can tell so far IA doesn't have side mission aspect to the app (does it? ) so how would they be used?

Maybe we will get a new campaign for each expansion set (Descent hoped for this but alas no) to boost sales of expansions? But even then the tiles would only get used in that campaign, seems a waste.

So much potential if side missions could use tiles.

Am really wondering where they will go with this, if anywhere. My readings so far seem to imply the IA campaign is much more fixed and less variable than a descent campaign, though I am yet to play myself.

Am interested in people's thoughts

I'd be surprised if the new campaigns that they release after this one aren't based on some of the other expansions, including the map tiles. (I certainly hope they will be, anyway :) ). The way that I see it, the main reason they're making the app is to sell more physical copies of the game to people who are primarily interested in solo/co-op play. Anybody who's interested in the app will probably have already bought the core game by the time they release the next app campaign, so in order to get more return on their investment they'll probably theme it around one of the other expansions in order to encourage people to buy that one as well.

My guess would be that the next content release will have another core-only (for tiles) campaign and several side missions that will utilize tiles from Twin Shadows. That would allow them to easily exclude side missions if you don't have the bits for them without having to design alternate story missions. Each release would probably slide it forward a notch or two.

Agree with both.

I really want expansion tiles used.

I would love new campaigns based on expansion boxes/tiles (to promote sales) though still think this limits tiles to certain games. The idea of introducing side missions (eg as Descent) is best to me as it could mix expansion tiles in with main campaigns via use of side missions. Mixes things up a lot for the progress of the campaign.

My ideal would be a new campaign for each boxed expansion AND a series of side missions unlocked with each expansion that integrate into the main campaigns randomly, same way as Descent. This would make each campaign replay feel different and get good use out of purchases, while also pushing sales (anyone reading from FFG??..)

Really hope they do this :)

3 hours ago, alexbobspoons said:

My ideal would be a new campaign for each boxed expansion AND a series of side missions unlocked with each expansion that integrate into the main campaigns randomly, same way as Descent. This would make each campaign replay feel different and get good use out of purchases, while also pushing sales (anyone reading from FFG??..)

If they're going to bring in something like side missions, another idea might be to tie them in with the various figure packs. As I see it right now, if I was an app-only player there's very little incentive for me to buy something like Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, the Saboteurs, etc. If those packs all came with a digital side mission (perhaps using the map tiles of the associated expansion?) it would be more fun for people who already own everything and more reason for new players to fully buy in.

6 hours ago, ManateeX said:

If they're going to bring in something like side missions, another idea might be to tie them in with the various figure packs. As I see it right now, if I was an app-only player there's very little incentive for me to buy something like Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, the Saboteurs, etc. If those packs all came with a digital side mission (perhaps using the map tiles of the associated expansion?) it would be more fun for people who already own everything and more reason for new players to fully buy in.

Sounds low a lot of work for them just for a figure pack sale but I'm completely behind your idea I think it's excellent! !!!

More side missions please FFG :)

I'll confess that I was an IA holdout for a while but bought it for our family this Christmas (shhhh!!!! don't tell them!!!!) because of the LotA app. My son will turn 8 in two weeks and my wife is really not a hardcore gamer (she humors me), so I was worried that if I played Imperial and they played Rebels their enjoyment of the game would not be so great. With the LotA app, my son and I can now play co-op together (or I can play solo), my wife can enjoy not having to humor me, and things are rosy. So FFG definitely got a sale of the physical game from me because of the app (I also bought all the ally and villain packs associated with the core set because I'm a completist and I intend to paint them, so they really racked it up with me).

In thinking it through and being honest with myself, I probably would have paid a small fee for the app. I definitely see FFG expanding the app to include expansions and I'd be surprised if they didn't charge to unlock use of those expansions in the app. I can't imagine they'd charge more than $4.99 to unlock an expansion in the app (I can't recall how much the Star Wars dice app cost, but maybe the same price as that?) and, if it turns out I really enjoy the experience of playing LotA, I'd probably go and pay that and buy the expansion(s). I've never actually played a board game augmented through an app (I know there are a few similar combos out there), but if this lives up to what I have in my head and what I've read on these boards, I sure hope this becomes a long-term trend in board games.

If you want a glimpse into the likely future of the Imperial Assault App, check out the version for Descent. I have that app, and me and my friends/family play the heck out of it. They have a random dungeon generator along with the traditional campaigns, and I can’t imagine the Imperial Assault App not getting the same treatment, also, the villains you encounter will change when they update the app as the foes you face are likely to be randomly selected form your ‘collection’, which is why you tell the app what you do or do no own.

Cheers