Visions - The Meishodo plotline

By Doji Hyōkin, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Just trying to gather the threads together in one place.

So, to date in the fiction we've had 2 (separate?) visions of trouble on the horizon. First, from 'The Rising Wave', Togashi Yokuni sees a great wave (like a scorpion’s tail) that devastates Otosan Uchi, leaving it a barren wasteland, which is where the Empire must subsequently confront its enemy(ies?) for there to be any hope of victory.

Second, Isawa Atsuko in Smokeless Fire sees a samurai in purple + fur, a carven antler flashing silver, a cracking ruby between 2 gold wings, an eclipse, then a shadowy figure emerging and striding blood-soaked earth to the Imperial Palace.

Kaede sees that the ruby surrounded by gold wings is a meishodo amulet that contains the shadowy figure, trying to break free & reach the Emperor.

As a result, Iuchi Shahai, noted student of meishodo, is sent to the Imperial Palace where she meets the younger prince who may or may not be learning dangerous lessons in perception vs reality.

While hunting with her family, Shinjo Haruko kills a deer and Yasamura suggests carving the antlers into hilts for daggers, and Shinjo Altansarnai insists on an extra dagger for Shahai. Notably, Altansarnai's children are uncomfortable at even the mention of their half-sibling's name.

Meanwhile, Bayushi Kachiko is of the opinion that the Emperor Hantei XXXVIII has lost the favour of the heavens and (worse?) has stopped doing what she tells him to do.

Wild supposition: The 2 visions are related. Cracking open the meishodo amulet & liberating the spirit inside is what causes the devastation to Otosan Uchi that Yokuni sees. The Scorpion are at fault, insofar as Kachiko's machinations will create an opening for Hantei Daisetsu & Iuchi Shahai to try to eliminate his father & older brother in one fell swoop. So, there's still a 'Scorpion Clan Coup' of sorts, except it's to put a different Hantei on the Throne.

I could definitely see Kachiko becoming a major villain in this. Rokugan's supposed to be a land of moral grays (to the average modern reader's culture), but when the writers gave Kachiko those borderline seditious thoughts and then had her stop just long enough to be like "Screw peasants, no one cares about you losers!" (I may have paraphrased), I don't think they intended us to see her in a very charitable light. Or at the very least, that bit about the peasants made me absolutely hate Kachiko--maybe I'm just projecting my opinions onto the authors.

As for Shahai, I really want to see more of her in the new story. I know in the last story she was evil or something, but it would be interesting if they made her story different this time around. They certainly do seem to be implying something ominous about her, but thus far it's been nothing more than implications.

Kachiko is absolutely being set up as a Scorpion villain- witness Yojiro undercutting her schemes about the Emerald Championship because Shoju wouldn't have been down with it, to say nothing of her attempt to get the Emperor to just appoint someone (gosh, wonder who?).

Whether she gets a redemption arc is an open question- she was pretty **** villainous in the last continuity, but got to help the good guys in the end.

Shahai... is an ominous name, and little has been done to make us see it as less ominous (including OOC comments from the story team about "you did this to yourselves!").

I bet meishodo in and of itself isn't the problem- but a specific talisman coupled with Shahai and the spiritual shenanigans around her? Different story.

7 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Shahai... is an ominous name, and little has been done to make us see it as less ominous (including OOC comments from the story team about "you did this to yourselves!").

I bet meishodo in and of itself isn't the problem- but a specific talisman coupled with Shahai and the spiritual shenanigans around her? Different story.

She's just a young girl torn from her family and thrust into the cut throat world of Imperial Politics. What harm could there be in taking comfort with her precious Grandfather. Its not her fault he's been dead since before she was born and all she has left is a talisman that he "blessed" for her (and may or may not be made from a Human Skull).

1 hour ago, Schmoozies said:

She's just a young girl torn from her family and thrust into the cut throat world of Imperial Politics. What harm could there be in taking comfort with her precious Grandfather . Its not her fault he's been dead since before she was born and all she has left is a talisman that he "blessed" for her (and may or may not be made from a Human Skull).

I thought Yogo Junzo was still alive?

4 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Kachiko is absolutely being set up as a Scorpion villain- witness Yojiro undercutting her schemes about the Emerald Championship because Shoju wouldn't have been down with it, to say nothing of her attempt to get the Emperor to just appoint someone (gosh, wonder who?).

Whether she gets a redemption arc is an open question- she was pretty **** villainous in the last continuity, but got to help the good guys in the end.

Where was this? I don't recall seeing it.

1 hour ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

Where was this? I don't recall seeing it.

Don't think it was something written, I seem to recall that comment coming from Katrina Ostrander at Gen Con when she announced the results of the Kiku Matsuri story decision by the hatamotos.

1 hour ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

Don't think it was something written, I seem to recall that comment coming from Katrina Ostrander at Gen Con when she announced the results of the Kiku Matsuri story decision by the hatamotos.

And I recall saying at the time that "you did this to yourselves" probably would have been the response regardless of which way the story decision went. :-) It's only the "this" that would have varied . . .

6 hours ago, Kinzen said:

And I recall saying at the time that "you did this to yourselves" probably would have been the response regardless of which way the story decision went. :-) It's only the "this" that would have varied . . .

Something like this.

Option 1: Accept Meishodo. The Unicorn are allowed to conitnue using Meishodo, under one condition. The Hidden Guard begins studying under the guidance of Iuchi Shahai, basically a hostage to make sure the Unicorn respect their end of the bargain.

Option 2: Ban Meishodo. The Unicorn may no longer use Meishodo. Iuchi Shahai is taken hostage by the Imperials to make sure the Unicorn respect the Imperial Law. Some members of the Hidden Guard begin studying this new magic to be able to counter it.

The only real difference is if the Unicorn is allowed to use it or not.

Alternatively:

Option 1: Accept Meishodo, as you say. Iuchi Shahai ends up in the Imperial Palace as a teacher/hostage, meets her new BFF Daisetsu.

Option 2: Ban Meishodo. Iuchi Shahai refuses to give up the techniques of her people and continues to practice meishodo on the down-low, all secret rituals - in the woods - at night - maybe in a ruined house - where skulls are - until she goes full tsukai.

Edited by Doji Hyōkin
19 hours ago, Mandalore525 said:

but it would be interesting if they made her story different this time around.

I wish there was less maho and jigoku (aka evil) and more "Fu Leng is a kami too! He has rights! Free Fu Leng*!". Well, maho could be ok. Right? Trying to purify it, right? ;) ;) :P

* from black scrolls, from jigoku, from the shadow of his lesser brothers&sisters,...

1 minute ago, Wintersong said:

I wish there was less maho and jigoku (aka evil) and more "Fu Leng is a kami too! He has rights! Free Fu Leng*!". Well, maho could be ok. Right? Trying to purify it, right? ;) ;) :P

* from black scrolls, from jigoku, from the shadow of his lesser brothers&sisters,...

Careful there, Wintersong; you're starting to sound like an Isawa.

On 12/11/2017 at 9:09 PM, Doji Hyōkin said:

Just trying to gather the threads together in one place.

So, to date in the fiction we've had 2 (separate?) visions of trouble on the horizon. First, from 'The Rising Wave', Togashi Yokuni sees a great wave (like a scorpion’s tail) that devastates Otosan Uchi, leaving it a barren wasteland, which is where the Empire must subsequently confront its enemy(ies?) for there to be any hope of victory.

Second, Isawa Atsuko in Smokeless Fire sees a samurai in purple + fur, a carven antler flashing silver, a cracking ruby between 2 gold wings, an eclipse, then a shadowy figure emerging and striding blood-soaked earth to the Imperial Palace.

Kaede sees that the ruby surrounded by gold wings is a meishodo amulet that contains the shadowy figure, trying to break free & reach the Emperor.

As a result, Iuchi Shahai, noted student of meishodo, is sent to the Imperial Palace where she meets the younger prince who may or may not be learning dangerous lessons in perception vs reality.

While hunting with her family, Shinjo Haruko kills a deer and Yasamura suggests carving the antlers into hilts for daggers, and Shinjo Altansarnai insists on an extra dagger for Shahai. Notably, Altansarnai's children are uncomfortable at even the mention of their half-sibling's name.

Meanwhile, Bayushi Kachiko is of the opinion that the Emperor Hantei XXXVIII has lost the favour of the heavens and (worse?) has stopped doing what she tells him to do.

Wild supposition: The 2 visions are related. Cracking open the meishodo amulet & liberating the spirit inside is what causes the devastation to Otosan Uchi that Yokuni sees. The Scorpion are at fault, insofar as Kachiko's machinations will create an opening for Hantei Daisetsu & Iuchi Shahai to try to eliminate his father & older brother in one fell swoop. So, there's still a 'Scorpion Clan Coup' of sorts, except it's to put a different Hantei on the Throne.

I'd really love to see such an alternate reality. A different turn of events that can make the old stories seem, unique and different!! :D

Phoenix can be relieved that whatever **** breaks loose won't be blamed on them.

7 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Phoenix can be relieved that whatever **** breaks loose won't be blamed on them.

"If it hadn't been for the Phoenix screaming their heads off about Meishodo, Shahai would have never been in the Imperial City to begin with! It's the Phoenix's fault; blame them!"

Yeah of course you can make an argument - but not a convincing one.

54 minutes ago, Manchu said:

For once.

On 12/12/2017 at 6:26 AM, Mangod said:

"Grandfather" never had anything to do with Junzo in the old lore. Yes, Junzo is alive an well in the current lore. I hope he gets carded soon.

On 12/12/2017 at 5:26 AM, Mangod said:

Yogo Junzo was not Shahai's grandfather or "Grandfather", and I assume he still isn't.

1 hour ago, Mon no Oni said:

"Grandfather" never had anything to do with Junzo in the old lore. Yes, Junzo is alive an well in the current lore. I hope he gets carded soon.

"Grandfather" was at one point hinted to be the Spirit Of Junzo who had inhabited the Skull she found (based on her first card being printed in the Second Hidden Emperor set) but was later retconned as memory serves to be another Yokai associated with Iuchiban and the Bloodspeakers.