Question - Losing Encounter Fights?

By bleedthefreak, in Fallout

If a player draws a card, such as one of the default (Star) Wasteland encounter cards, that has them fight an enemy and they lose that fight, what happens?

Take for example one where the player could investigate an unexplored area of a ruin and be attacked by a random bug creature-type. The card indicates you draw X loot cards, become idolized, fight a bug, and then add another quest card. There isn't a Succeed for Fail state, do you just do all those things, even drawing loot and becoming idolized even if you lose the fight? What happens to the enemy token if you lose the fight? Does it become part of that space? If so, does it get replaced and spawn in an inactive bug token when it's finally dispatched, forever creating a new bug token on the board?

Also curious...

It depends on where on the card the Draw and Fight is. If the Draw and Fight is in the white section (with the number), then you need to win the fight in order to activate the results section.

However, if the Draw and Fight is in the blue/brown results section, then you continue on with the remaining results regardless of whether you kill the monster or not.

In both cases, the monster is discarded after the fight. Draw and Fight monsters are always discarded after the fight.

What I don't know is what happens if you die during the fight and there are items remaining in the results section. Especially Trash.

Edited by Hedgehobbit

Thanks for the reply @Hedgehobbit that's how we will run these types of cards going forward.

Here are the two cards in question, for reference.

2017-12-14_10-46-10.jpg

I’m assuming that results are handled left to right. In many cases you draw loot before having to fight the creature. Is this correct? Seems you’d need to win the battle to get the loot, but it doesn’t have you fight first.

Results are left to right.

If you die during the fight and something like loot comes after, you don't get it, or so I believe.

If you die during the fight on the left (top option, not arrowed option), I would probably still add the 004 card, but I could see basically discarding the current card instead.

Edited after I thought about it a little more.

Edited by schwade
On 12/14/2017 at 8:49 AM, bleedthefreak said:

Thanks for the reply @Hedgehobbit that's how we will run these types of cards going forward.

Here are the two cards in question, for reference.

2017-12-14_10-46-10.jpg

it says in the rulebook somewhere, that if you have to “draw and fight” a monster and lose, it is considered a “fail”condition.

although, i guess that does not answer the question here, as you drew arrows.

the way i’m seeing it, those things you are pointing to are not “conditions” but “results”, everything in those “results” happens regardless.

so if you “lose” the fight on the left, you still stage quest 004 and you still become vilified and and you still trash that card.

now what further compounds the one in the left is that YOU are not fighting that monster, the person you sent it after is fighting it and if they lose to it, that has no impact on you.

and then on the card on the right, you would get the loot, then add 002, then become vilified, then draw and fight, then trash the card regardless.

however...now i’m looking at option 1 on the left, it says “rush in and kill the critters” and im the results it says draw and fight, then get loot, then become idolized. and it looks to me that the intent is that you have to “win” the fight to claim the loot. so now I dunno. umless maybe it is like, the critter attacks and if you lose, it goes away and then you still get the stuff?

because in the rules book it says that when you draw and fight, the enemy always disappears afterward, even if you lose, it does not stay on the board.

of course if you get killed by it, you are gonna possibly lose the loot anyway...

On 16/01/2018 at 7:52 AM, eviltwin61878 said:

however...now i’m looking at option 1 on the left, it says “rush in and kill the critters” and im the results it says draw and fight, then get loot, then become idolized. and it looks to me that the intent is that you have to “win” the fight to claim the loot. so now I dunno. umless maybe it is like, the critter attacks and if you lose, it goes away and then you still get the stuff?

because in the rules book it says that when you draw and fight, the enemy always disappears afterward, even if you lose, it does not stay on the board.

of course if you get killed by it, you are gonna possibly lose the loot anyway...

I think you're becoming idolised for heroically attempting to kill the critters, even if you didn't quite manage it. You've chased them off anyway :)

On 1/16/2018 at 1:52 AM, eviltwin61878 said:

it says in the rulebook somewhere, that if you have to “draw and fight” a monster and lose, it is considered a “fail”condition.

That is from RR pg 5. However, this section is talking about the whether you then go to the "Succeed" or "Fail" sections of the encounter results, such as the ones listed on the right-hand card of the posted image. So this doesn't apply to any "Draw and fight" in the results section of an encounter card (as these don't have succeed or fail sub-results)

The only time you stop going through the results is if the character dies.

Edited by Hedgehobbit