for the experts in this game

By gmcc, in Legends of the Alliance

How good is the app ? is it worth it ?

I'm asking cause i didnt bought any miniature game yet and im 50/50 on this game or legion.

I love star wars and i like this game since it come out, but it seems its dying while legion is looking to be strong.

I didnt had the chance to get it at the time, but now with the app i'm still thinking if its worth or not :\

At the moment, just the tutorial and 5-mission Flight of the Freedom Fighter may not be "worth it" in monetary terms. However, it depends on how much fun/entertainment you get from it compared to other ways of spending the money.

(If you can get the core box at half price or lower, I think it could well be worth it just for solo with the app .)

But, I have everything, so...

Edited by a1bert

I bought the game specifically because of the app release. I have played through the tutorial and the first mission of the campaign solo and would have to say that it has been worth it. It is a really cool concept and I love that I can run it just for me. I am also eager to run a co-op campaign with my game group.

+

oh so the app isnt complete and only has 5 missions ? hum..

16 minutes ago, gmcc said:

For now, There should be new campaigns shortly.

45 minutes ago, gmcc said:

Complete? What's that word? What does that mean?

There is one full 5-mission campaign in the app. More content will be added in the future.

i mean they were working on it so much time and probably the core box isnt even complete in the app, not even asking for the expansions. but yeah lets hope they add the rest in future

To make it more clear: The app content will be all new campaigns and missions specifically designed for the app. There won't be existing campaigns or missions ported to the app.

What is missing from expansions is support for imperial groups other than the ones in the core / wave 1, and (optional) use of tiles from boxed expansions.

In response the remark about IA dying while the unreleased Legion looks strong, I think the app is very much an indication that the game is not dead. It is, I think, clarifying IA’s intended position in the market.

Skirmish for IA was only ever intended to be a kind of bonus to get more value out of the game but it doesn’t seem to have been popular enough recently to support a really vibrant competitive scene. I don’t think the timing of the release of the app just before Legion is a coincidence, as the messaging seems to be pretty clearly “This is still a popular and successful narrative campaign game and here’s a cool new way to play it.”

It’s unfortunate for Skirmish as it does seem like that aspect of the game may start to be eclipsed, but I suppose it makes your decision easier.

Edited by Srba

I'd say IA is definitely worth it. Right now you get the potential of:

-A campaign core box, that in itsef supposedly should be really good (haven't played campaign). Great for 5 players.

-A skirmish game that is Great! Awesome for 2 players.

-An App add-on that gives you the possibility of playing campaign mode with the app controlling the evil empire (This is similar to the Descent App, which is the only way I play Descent now - not because regular campaign is bad, it's just much easier to get on the table). Awesome for up to 4 players.

You get the inkling of all this, in one box. From there, you can expand as you see fit.

yeah dont know.. tbh i wanted this to play alone at the beggining but people here are saying that the missions aren't like the ones in core box..

I mean, it's not like you could play Legion alone...

IA is a top tier solo gaming experience and also a top tier 2, 3, 4, or 5 person experience. Legion can't say the same. IA is more than worth the hundreds of dollars I have spent. :)

Honestly, they aren't really that similar, and which one you should be interested in comes down to what you want.

Legion is a competitive wargame. I'm assuming the Core Set can be played as a board game, but it's intended you build and play your own armies. If you don't have anyone who's going to engage with you on that, it's probably not worth it.

IA skirmish is a 'squad based' competitive combat game. It's the closest equivalent to Legion, with a difference in scale (and, I'm assuming, the associated changes in complexity/time involved etc).

IA non app Campaign is a cooperative team RPG versus the Imperial player, who usually ranges somewhere between a competitive opponent to a GM facilitating playing the game for the other players.

IA app Campaign is a cooperative team RPG , except that there's no Imperial player so it's entirely cooperative (and can be played single player). Realistically, at this stage you probably wouldn't buy the game solely to play it with the app, due to the (comparatively) small amount of missions, but this will change (though we don't know how quickly). Of course, if you're buying the Core Set anyway, you've still got the ability to play the other modes of play; the app simply adds a third option.

17 hours ago, Conviction said:

IA is a top tier solo gaming experience and also a top tier 2, 3, 4, or 5 person experience. Legion can't say the same.

To be fair, Legion can't say that it's not a top tier 2 player experience because it it hasn't actually been released yet. But I think the important part of your point is that it will never be a top tier 1, 3, or 5 player experience. As for 4-player... it may be easy to figure out a 2v2 variant (whether official or house rules).

Just now, Uninvited Guest said:

To be fair, Legion can't say that it's not a top tier 2 player experience because it it hasn't actually been released yet. But I think the important part of your point is that it will never be a top tier 1, 3, or 5 player experience. As for 4-player... it may be easy to figure out a 2v2 variant (whether official or house rules).

You're absolutely right, in the haste of making my point, mistakes were made. :)

On 12-12-2017 at 9:57 PM, gmcc said:

yeah dont know.. tbh i wanted this to play alone at the beggining but people here are saying that the missions aren't like the ones in core box..

This question comes up a lot , and honestly it sort of befuddles me.

To reiterate what other have said. What you get when you buy the IA core set:

• a 2 player skirmish game, with it's own maps, no campaign
  • a 2 - 5 player campaign game, with it's own story and maps, 1 player versus the others
  • with the app a 1 - 4 player pure cooperative game, with a tutorial mission and a 5 mission campaign, with their own story and maps (all in the app)

Now I already owned the game and some expansions, so it's a no-brainer for me. I've been dying to play this way!
However, I bought Descent (heavily) just for the Road to Legends app , and just for solo play , and have not regretted a single purchase.

To me this is the best modern board gaming has to offer, and reminds of the 80s when narrative campaign play was only possible with reams of texts, booklets, cards, etcetera.

On 12.12.2017 at 9:57 PM, gmcc said:

I am very confused by this. The missions are not like the ones in the core box because ... you can't play the core box missions alone. The app is meant to play alone or coop against the app. The missions do facilitate that very good. If you think you might like the game but can't find enough people to play the game, GET THE APP NOW!

All the ways of playing Imperial Assault still have the same core rules. The differences between skirmish, campaign, and app are minimal. They just accommodate the different way of playing.

Skirmish missions are also different than campaign missions. That the app has all-new content that is created to be played in the app alone should be a positive instead of a negative.

In the words the of the late great Emperor "Shiv daddy" Palpatine, "Do it!"

On 15/12/2017 at 7:22 AM, jvdvalk said:

This question comes up a lot , and honestly it sort of befuddles me.

To reiterate what other have said. What you get when you buy the IA core set:

• a 2 player skirmish game, with it's own maps, no campaign
  • a 2 - 5 player campaign game, with it's own story and maps, 1 player versus the others
  • with the app a 1 - 4 player pure cooperative game, with a tutorial mission and a 5 mission campaign, with their own story and maps (all in the app)

Now I already owned the game and some expansions, so it's a no-brainer for me. I've been dying to play this way!
However, I bought Descent (heavily) just for the Road to Legends app , and just for solo play , and have not regretted a single purchase.

To me this is the best modern board gaming has to offer, and reminds of the 80s when narrative campaign play was only possible with reams of texts, booklets, cards, etcetera.

u mean descent or imperial assault ?
btw isnt descent dead ?

1 hour ago, gmcc said:

u mean descent or imperial assault ?
btw isnt descent dead ?

No, Descent is not dead. FFG is still having print runs. It is, or is very close to, "complete" though. They could release tons of content just via the app with all the physical product the game already has.

Edited by cdj0902
On 12/16/2017 at 11:19 AM, gmcc said:

btw isnt descent dead ?

"Dead" might be a big word. They just released a new campaign for the app at the end of September (and one in January prior to that), but I think they're done with new physical content. So, both it and IA got two new campaigns this year.