Inventory size and instant loot

By MalcolmReynolds, in Fallout

Hi all,

I haven't seen a clear answer for this. Lets say I have 2 items in my inventory. I win a quest that gives me 3 more cards. Now, if all these cards were items I would have to basically have 3 of the 5 once I am done and discard two.

Now, what if I have 2 in the inventory and 2 of the 3 new loot cards are those instant cap cards? Can you get the caps for each card and still keep 1 of the new loot cards thus bringing you to the max of three? OR do you have to decide to select those two instant cap cards to hypothetically place in your inventory which means once you used them you would only have 1 item left in your inventory because you have to discard 2 of the 3 items.

Was that clear as mud? I hope it made sense.

What's the exact wording on the caps cards?

Immediately discard this card then gain 3 caps. I realize that is point blank but the rulebook doesnt make it clear when the rule states, "If a survivor is instructed to draw loot cards in excess of his or her inventory, he or she draws the cards, and then discards down to his or her inventory size (usually three).

I really do think you get the caps instantly and then decide on the left over loot cards to come to your max inventory total of 3. But that last rule does throw a bit of a curve ball into the mix.

It's the immediately that cinches it for me. I would say it's fairly clear the intent is those particular loot cards are simply indicating you find caps instead of physical loot. You can always message FFG on their Rules Questions link, they usually respond fairly quickly if you want a definitive answer, but I would say you exchange for caps and then determine whether you are over the inventory limit.

Here's what the rules say (RR pg 9)

"Items and companions a survivor possesses but does not have equipped are in the survivor's inventory."

So, any card a survivor has, such as cards recently looted or purchased, are considered part of the inventory.

"If a survivor gains cards in excess of his or her inventory slots, he or she must choose and discard cards until there are only three remaining."

So, you need to discard down to three.

This means that cards that activate on a discard, such as Fistful of Caps or food items, can be used immediately after finding them without needing to put them into one of your three slots first.

Fistful of caps is an event, which triggers when you draw it.

Aid and Food items are a little different. I'm not sure you can gain the benefit out of discarding the item if you are required to do so due to an inventory limit.

It would seem that you would need to hold the item, then discard it.

On 1/15/2018 at 6:40 PM, schwade said:

Fistful of caps is an event, which triggers when you draw it.

Aid and Food items are a little different. I'm not sure you can gain the benefit out of discarding the item if you are required to do so due to an inventory limit.

It would seem that you would need to hold the item, then discard it.

Except that translation would make it impossible to use Addictol if you had three drugs in your inventory.

The sequence of events is clear - you get the items, then you have to discard. So you do in fact have a short window where you are holding all the inventory items. I believe the rules say with a discard to use card they can be used at any time. Nothing says you cannot also gain the benefit of a discard. Think of it like when you pick up too much stuff in the video game. You can then scarf down food and gain the health benefits as a way to lower your weight value.

Edited by mwmcintyre
8 hours ago, mwmcintyre said:

Except that translation would make it impossible to use Addictol if you had three drugs in your inventory.

The sequence of events is clear - you get the items, then you have to discard. So you do in fact have a short window where you are holding all the inventory items. I believe the rules say with a discard to use card they can be used at any time. Nothing says you cannot also gain the benefit of a discard. Think of it like when you pick up too much stuff in the video game. You can then scarf down food and gain the health benefits as a way to lower your weight value.

This is the interpretation I went with. It makes the most sense for Addictol and it fits with the source material. In the games you would often use food and stuff like that to make room for new guns and such.

Hah, I just posted this in the addiction thread not realizing this thread was also here. I can't seem to delete my other post, so I apologize for the redundancy, but it actually fits better here:

I generally feel pretty OK with a loot-pile "grace period" of sorts. You have a full inventory and find a delicious jug of dirty water? Drink it immediately and we're all good, in my book. If someone needed that healing anyway, it's a real crapper to have to ditch an item (which you can't pick up again later - it's just gone), then drink, and then have a hole in your inventory where an otherwise useful or saleable item used to be. I'm all for letting people sift through the loot bag and use up some goodies as they pare down, finally finishing their current action with no more than 3 items left.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:27 PM, mwmcintyre said:

I recognize that some here disagree, but I believe that is the intent. I also don't think you can use food or water without it leaving an empty spot in your inventory.

I think the intent is to make the player choose between the healing or the other thing they want to keep, or in the case of drugs, whether to take the risk of using them or not.

I absolutely believe I could be wrong with this interpretation, but my understanding is that given that you have to draw and discard down to 3, those rule based 'discards' are not the same as discarding for am effect.

Others on these forums seem to disagree with me, and I'm fine with that.

When teaching new players, I will offer both options and the group will decide on how to play that game, until an official ruling comes out.

The way I see it, if I were in the wasteland and find a can of beans but have no space in my pack to put it, I wouldn't drop (and apparently destroy) a way more useful item (such as an extra weapon or armor) just so I can put the beans in my pack before eating them. I'd just rather friggin eat 'em straight up. Right outta the can. With my hands.

Edited by Fnoffen
for elaboration