Space Marine Chapters

By Kerrahn, in Deathwatch

mac40k said:

The Chapters that have their own Codex are the ones that have unique organizational structures and the most fluff to work with so far. Most of the others are some flavor of Codex (read Ultramarine) Chapter perhaps with a slight twist (more psykers, more bikers, more flamers/meltas, etc.), but not all that different from any other Codex Chapter or a successor chapter of one of the other iconics.

This statement is so not true. Let me list a few of the lesser known Chapters that are known to have "unique orgizational structures" or are unique some other way: Black Dragons, Excorcists, Relictors (still loyal in the current DH/RT timeline), Iron Snakes, Iron Hands, and Mortifactors. Beyond that there are many Codex adherent Chapters that have peculiarities that make them stand out. In fact, both the Blood Angels and Dark Angels are basically Codex chapters (of First Founding Chapters the Iron Hands are MUCH MORE divergent in the way they operate). They aren't any more "unique" than the untold Chapters of the Imperium, they simply have more developed background material.

mac40k said:

I see your potential issue, but think it can be mitigated by playing a marine from a successor chapter. If you don't feel you can enjoy the game playing as an iconic or successor and absolutely have to have the ability to create your own unique chapter, you'll have to wait for the supplement or not play.

What you are thinking of when you say successor is simply a different paint job. That is not what a successor is to me (well sometimes it is, but I hate the Angel Chapters and Novamarine type Chapters for precisely that reason). A successor Chapter usually has its own history and traditions; it's own identity beyond the "we're like the Ultramarines" or "we're like the Blood Angels", and so I really can't go along with this whole "you can play as a successor Chapter" thing people keep trying to put forward. To me it just seems like the backward way of doing it. They should have come out with a system for representing any Chapter, then laid out the characteristics of the various Chapters of Legend within that system, not unlike the Traits system they used to use in the Space Marine Codex. Instead they are going to give us the same old same old. At the very least they could have provided rules for all of the Chapters of Legend.

You may think that the book would be too big if they provided what I'm asking for, but I tend to disagree. If something does need to be cut, it shouldn't be the very essence of what makes Deathwatch interesting: variety. Six Chapters, and six overused and overexposed Chapters no less, leaves me so bored I can hardly express it.

I believe, as others have mentioned, that Raven Guard should be included right from the start and not in a future supplement. Their hit and run, guerilla warfare and masters of stealth tactics are a must for a Deathwatch kill-team. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for these guys...

Mortemer said:

I believe, as others have mentioned, that Raven Guard should be included right from the start and not in a future supplement. Their hit and run, guerilla warfare and masters of stealth tactics are a must for a Deathwatch kill-team. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for these guys...

Their leader wears a jump pack. I'm pretty sure the scream of the engine blows away whatever stealth he gets from wearing black and white armor.

:)

I posted this in the Rogue Trader forum, but thought it would be relevant here as well.

Yanma said:

MILLANDSON said:

Carmedil said:

The Space Marine Chapters might be covered in an expansion book, it might as well be like that to ensure that they will actually have at least 2 pages per chapter for material.

Erm... no? They've already said that there will be 6 Chapters in the main book. We know there are Space Wolves and Blood Angels, we're trying to figure out the other 4.

One of the marines depicted on the Deathwatch page has wings on his head, meaning he's a Dark Angel. Ultramarines are the most popular "vanilla" chapter, so they are most likely in. Black Templars would be the only chapter that has it's own 40K codex that isn't represented in DW if they aren't included, so they're probably in. I'd think that Iron Hands are also likely to be included, as non of the other chapters really have a technical knack like they do to fill the role of techmarine.

So we have:

1. Blood Angels.

2. Dark Angels.

3. Space Wolves.

4. Ultramarines

5. Black Templars

6. Iron Hands.

Yanma said:

One of the marines depicted on the Deathwatch page has wings on his head, meaning he's a Dark Angel. Ultramarines are the most popular "vanilla" chapter, so they are most likely in. Black Templars would be the only chapter that has it's own 40K codex that isn't represented in DW if they aren't included, so they're probably in. I'd think that Iron Hands are also likely to be included, as non of the other chapters really have a technical knack like they do to fill the role of techmarine.

Referring to the Space Marine with wings on his head. Look at the belt on that same marine. It's a symbol of the Dark Angels and it's framed in a certain forest green color that we all know so well.

I'm pretty sure Dark Angels are in the mix.

LeBlanc13 said:

Yanma said:

Referring to the Space Marine with wings on his head. Look at the belt on that same marine. It's a symbol of the Dark Angels and it's framed in a certain forest green color that we all know so well.

I'm pretty sure Dark Angels are in the mix.

Thank you for saying what I was saying, I guess?

Yanma said:

Thank you for saying what I was saying, I guess?

Just confirming your statement with further evidence. You're welcome. :)

Atheosis said:

I just looked at the illustrations on the main page (for the first time lol), and yes it is indeed a Blood Angel and a Dark Angel (with what looks like artificer armor). Kind of lame if you ask me. I'm just about as sick of those two chapters as I am of the Ultramarines. Anyway, I'm starting to assume that FFG is just going to go the easy route and feature the Chapters that have their own codexes. After all, they all have so much lore already. So the list is almost certainly:

1. Ultramarines *check*

2. Blood Angels

3. Dark Angels

4. Space Wolves *check*

5. Black Templars

6. Wildcard pick

Second Chapter announced: Ultramarines. Who honestly didn't see that coming?

I think we all did.

They're the most famous, well-known Space Marine chapter (check) and they are also a very good example of a "base line" character, against which all can be measured (smarter than the average space marine = smarter than UM, slower than average space marine = slower than UM, etc.), so they're pretty much an auto-include.

I’d say, these 6:

I. Ultramarines (Confirmed)

II. Space Wolves (Confirmed)

III. Imperial Fists (They are in every supplement and novel about Deathwatch and are a lot of times the captain of the squad mentioned there-in. No reason not to have them, plus them lacking some of the glands other marines have could be interesting depending on how they are implemented)

IV. Raven Guard (Lightning fast strike force used to operating in smaller team, perfect for Deathwatch.)

V. Black Templar (Once again been used in the novels, also the fact they can‘t be and don‘t respect Librarian’s would make role play interesting if other characters can be)

VI. Blood Ravens (With all the success of Dawn of War they might toss these in just to get more folks who think, “Oh cool, I get to be a Blood Raven like what’s-his-face from Dawn of War.) OR Blood Angles (For obvious reason, the whole black rage thing could make for interesting happenings while in the middle of a game.)

TCBC Freak said:

I’d say, these 6:

I. Ultramarines (Confirmed)

II. Space Wolves (Confirmed)

III. Imperial Fists (They are in every supplement and novel about Deathwatch and are a lot of times the captain of the squad mentioned there-in. No reason not to have them, plus them lacking some of the glands other marines have could be interesting depending on how they are implemented)

IV. Raven Guard (Lightning fast strike force used to operating in smaller team, perfect for Deathwatch.)

V. Black Templar (Once again been used in the novels, also the fact they can‘t be and don‘t respect Librarian’s would make role play interesting if other characters can be)

VI. Blood Ravens (With all the success of Dawn of War they might toss these in just to get more folks who think, “Oh cool, I get to be a Blood Raven like what’s-his-face from Dawn of War.) OR Blood Angles (For obvious reason, the whole black rage thing could make for interesting happenings while in the middle of a game.)

The rights to the Blood Ravens all belong to THQ, so they almost certainly will not be making an appearance. Since Blood Angels have been shown in the art for Deathwatch on the FFG site, and a playtester said more than they should on Bell of Lost Souls and said that Blood Angels were in Deathwatch, I'd go with the Blood Angels for your last option.

Also, Dark Angels have been shown in the art also, so I think there's a greater chance of them being included than the Imperial Fists or Raven Guard.

I'm really surprised that the smurfs weren't the first one announced!

Pretty sure we'll see Dark Angels in there since there is a picture that looks like one on the site. It'd be great having a Dark Angel and a Space Wolf in the same squad, lol let the good times role!

No, the rights do not belong to THQ. They belong to Games Workshop. If the rights belonged to THQ, then the Blood Ravens wouldn't have been specifically mentioned in the 4th Edition Codex: Space Marines, nor would that single, lonely marine from their chapter have been in the current codex.

THQ has a license that allows them to make the games with the permission of Games Workshop, who retain the rights.

Lyinar said:

No, the rights do not belong to THQ. They belong to Games Workshop. If the rights belonged to THQ, then the Blood Ravens wouldn't have been specifically mentioned in the 4th Edition Codex: Space Marines, nor would that single, lonely marine from their chapter have been in the current codex.

THQ has a license that allows them to make the games with the permission of Games Workshop, who retain the rights.

However, FFG would also have to pay for a licence to use the Blood Ravens in order to be allowed to use them. That, plus the fact that FFG have made it fairly clear that they'll only be covering First Founding chapters in the main Deathwatch corebook, sort of demonstrates that they won't be in the main rulebook.

Of course, that doesn't stop them being in a future book, if FFG pays for the appropriate licence.

MILLANDSON said:

Lyinar said:

However, FFG would also have to pay for a licence to use the Blood Ravens in order to be allowed to use them. That, plus the fact that FFG have made it fairly clear that they'll only be covering First Founding chapters in the main Deathwatch corebook, sort of demonstrates that they won't be in the main rulebook.

Of course, that doesn't stop them being in a future book, if FFG pays for the appropriate licence.

I doubt they would have to pay for a separate licence just to publish something about the Ravens. They would be included in the general 40k licence.

macd21 said:

I doubt they would have to pay for a separate licence just to publish something about the Ravens. They would be included in the general 40k licence.

Possibly, unless it's an exclusive licence to THQ. I mean, I doubt they'd want another company (other than GW) messing about with the backstory, etc, of their personal chapter.

Either way, I doubt we'll be seeing them in the corebook. Out of the 2 spare slots (since we all know Dark Angels and Blood Angels are going to be in the 6 base chapters), there are other major options (like Raven Guard, etc) that I can see FFG going with first.

I really hope that the Iron Hands are in the core book or at least come in fairly soon, but I won't hold my breath. Outside of that, mmm not sure, just really hope for Iron Hands.

Haven't got anything meaningful to add to this thread, other than hoping (like many others) that the Raven Guard are included. They're so right for Deathwatch it would hurt if they weren't. But we'll see.

prophetsteve said:

I wondering if the sixth chapter would be the Grey Knights - after all aren't they the Militant order of the Ordo Malleus. I mean, DH has already given us rules for the Sisters of Battle and Deathwatch will give us rules for that militant order, maybe we might get the GK too...though I think that might be in a supplement, rather than the core.

Unfortuantly I don not think that the Death Watch recruit from the Grey Knights. Grey knights do a lot of things differntly from other cahpters of space marines. However I would be thrilled to be wrong. I would love to see rules for these super marines, I would expect them in a suplement.

Hrathen said:

prophetsteve said:

I wondering if the sixth chapter would be the Grey Knights - after all aren't they the Militant order of the Ordo Malleus. I mean, DH has already given us rules for the Sisters of Battle and Deathwatch will give us rules for that militant order, maybe we might get the GK too...though I think that might be in a supplement, rather than the core.

Unfortuantly I don not think that the Death Watch recruit from the Grey Knights. Grey knights do a lot of things differntly from other cahpters of space marines. However I would be thrilled to be wrong. I would love to see rules for these super marines, I would expect them in a suplement.

You wouldn't be wrong, Hrathan. The Grey Knights are exclusively the chamber militant for the Ordo Malleus. The closest you'll see to a Grey Knight serving in the Deathwatch would be an Exorcist; being a known founding from the Grey Knights. They operate as a normal chapter, while still having much of the same specialties of their predecessors. Of course, I don't think they're all psychic, but they are all subjected to dæmonic possession to make them more resistant to Chaos influence.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Brother Praetus said:

Hrathen said:

prophetsteve said:

You wouldn't be wrong, Hrathan. The Grey Knights are exclusively the chamber militant for the Ordo Malleus. The closest you'll see to a Grey Knight serving in the Deathwatch would be an Exorcist; being a known founding from the Grey Knights. They operate as a normal chapter, while still having much of the same specialties of their predecessors. Of course, I don't think they're all psychic, but they are all subjected to dæmonic possession to make them more resistant to Chaos influence.

-=Brother Praetus=-

I don't know if I would call them "normal". gui%C3%B1o.gif

Atheosis said:

I don't know if I would call them "normal". gui%C3%B1o.gif

True enough. lengua.gif

-=Brother Praetus=-

Mentor Legion? Could be fun to see trhem in Deathwatch :)

At lexicanum I found a short list of which Chapters have been known to contribute to Deathwatch.

• Black Consuls
  • Black Templar
  • Blood Angels
  • Blood Ravens
  • Crimson Fists
  • Death Spectres
  • Exorcists
  • Imperial Fists
  • Lamenters
  • Mantis Warriors
  • Raven Guard
  • Red Talons
  • Revilers
  • Salamanders
  • Scythes of the Emperor
  • Space Wolves
  • Ultramarines
  • White Scars

So far they have been following this list with the exception of the Dark Angels. Which only makes sense because they are right next door to Calixis.